Author Topic: Garry's Mod Gallery  (Read 1286823 times)

I'm not the best poser around but I noticed a lot of you guys use the wrong map to pose on like Munkey's for example; WW2 march/parade on a map with modern buldings all over the place..
i was trying to focus on the industrial buildings because german stuff

dod:s models I think
no
http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=115278
they're also on the workshop, but i cant be bothered to find the link atm

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:10:33 AM by MunkeyCheez »

I haven't even played this map yet and i'm astonished by it's beauty
This map is a commission, but apparently the commissioner did not hold up his end of the deal, why make the commission if you weren't gonna pay the price then? People don't just do such commission and give out their hard work for free

From the creators of the map: Hiyougami and Stinger
http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1299473

Non-Facepunch version:
Quote from: hiyougami
Mappers, I did not want to get emotionally involved in this, I was willing to let it pass even - but I think as fellow artists, learners and businesspeople you will be able to relate to and understand these events. I know little about forum policy regarding discussion about locked threads, so if I'm trespassing on rule-breaking territory, I apologise.

This is a little story about how you feel when you don't get paid and the person who was meant to pay you dismisses your existence.

Imagine that one day, as you're browsing facepunch with a colleague and working part-time on a Steam game, you find a terrific mapping opportunity. Something crazy awesome that doesn't show up often, and you jump on it as a result. It's for a massively ambitious project with a ludicrous deadline for only a payment of $200 - a lot less than what it's worth - so if you can pull it off, you and them are heroes, and even though the reward is kinda small, it's significant and you're both a lot more likely to get it right?

Quote from: Cyberuben
So if it's really that selfish saving my own ass over a community I'm no longer part of, then I'm just going to live by that. You can tell me to grow up, or tell me I'm immature, but I achieved more in life already than anyone I know at this age, I know damn well what I'm doing. Money is nothing to play with, I'm not going to risk debts, because once you get in debts they'll just stack up.

Hiyu and Stinger worked for us, I have no idea if they lost anything, apart from time, but if you think I'm going to get myself in $750 debts just for a map, then no, not worth it.

When you make something with artistic intent, you put hours and hours into it. It becomes a part of your life, it becomes a part of who you are and part of you goes into it and doesn't come back. You're always thinking about it, on the bus, in that one boring Networking lecture, trying to solve that one problem or design the next segment or you're hooked on thinking of what asset you'll need to make next. Well, we made it. We made it in a third of the time it should have taken, and we weren't paid.

I am writing this to serve as a warning for others wishing either to commission a map or create one for money. Get a legally binding agreement of some sort. In business, trust is as worthless as a sky_camera stuck out in the void - make sure that if you are going to put your heart and soul and countless hours into something for someone, don't do it just to get screwed over. I recall a wise man once told me that money is nothing to play with.

You can do what I did and just shrug and say, "stuff happens". It does, and if you weren't in a binding agreement and were solely relying on trust, it's tits-up for you if the other guy doesn't uphold their half of the deal.

You just don't expect them to then go and make it personal.

Quote from: Stinger21
I have intentionally kept my opinions on this to myself, as I mostly like to sit back and enjoy the drama from a distance, but because of my large role in this ordeal I feel obligated to atleast share my perspective.

Both me and hiyu knew that this map was sort of insane from the start and that creating the assets, optimizing for visibility and simply constructing a map of this size is a hard task even for experienced mappers with a lot more time on their hands.

When accepting a project like this, no matter how insane the specifications provided are. You are literally putting your reputation on the line, so not having the map done by the deadline to the specifications provided will completely discredit you in future projects.

This is why, when working towards a deadline or specific goal I literally put everything I have into the project. People can attest to me when working in the map repetdetly saying things along the lines of: "I will get this map done no matter what. This map is getting done by the deadline no matter the cost to my mental health, no matter if hiyu does almost nothing. " (for the two months this map was in production I literally spent almost every waking hour working on it.)

As for the actual payment, this map for me was never really about the money but the personal challenge and portfolio piece it would make once completed. I am content knowing that casualbananas will have trouble hiring mappers in the future.

is there any way i can properly mount CSS content without having to buy the game? it's getting annoying facing walls of glowing errors and purple checkerboards whenever i play on servers.

*screenshot from the map
Or they can look at better pictures by going to the Workshop page (no offense to your picture)

is there any way i can properly mount CSS content without having to buy the game? it's getting annoying facing walls of glowing errors and purple checkerboards whenever i play on servers.
It's a cheap game, i don't think there's any other way of getting the textures unless someone who owns the game gives you the textures

Or they can look at better pictures by going to the Workshop page (no offense to your picture)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:34:55 AM by MunkeyCheez »

so much time in my life, wasted.

wee.

wee.
It's not a waste if you're actively enjoying yourself!

wee.
I thought that was my picture for a second, but then i realized mine has a different background

I love the Bigisland map, I was playing on it yesterday, but it's kinda laggy for me.

I love the Bigisland map, I was playing on it yesterday, but it's kinda laggy for me.
I love going down into the caves, because it just feels so much like something else is down there with you.

found this on gm_bigisland