Author Topic: The Development of Age of Time...  (Read 33602 times)

Badspot

• Administrator
I don't think territory control fits with AoT at all.  The game just isn't that structured. 

Also I think that smaller, personal relationships are easier for people to relate to than an arbitrarily imposed global conflict.  The jail dynamic is a good example of this.  You arrest people because they are violating the rules of society.  This is something that virtually everyone on earth can relate to and has personal experience with.  Capturing a city is totally foreign to most people outside of video games unless you live in the Sudan or something.  You can't relate city capturing to any real life experience you've had so it loses emotional impact and becomes meaningless. 

I'm looking for smaller, more personal dynamics.  Like say charge a small tax on your bank ballance but allow people to bury treasure to avoid the taxes.  But there's always the risk that someone could find it or that you could forget where it is, but the payoff might be worth it. 

Or things that force people to work together.  No 10 person groups or anything, just something that requires 2 or 3 people. lol loveor

Or things that encourage trade.  The steel is a good example of this. 

Think of things along those lines.

I don't think territory control fits with AoT at all.  The game just isn't that structured. 

Also I think that smaller, personal relationships are easier for people to relate to than an arbitrarily imposed global conflict.  The jail dynamic is a good example of this.  You arrest people because they are violating the rules of society.  This is something that virtually everyone on earth can relate to and has personal experience with.  Capturing a city is totally foreign to most people outside of video games unless you live in the Sudan or something.  You can't relate city capturing to any real life experience you've had so it loses emotional impact and becomes meaningless. 

I'm looking for smaller, more personal dynamics.  Like say charge a small tax on your bank ballance but allow people to bury treasure to avoid the taxes.  But there's always the risk that someone could find it or that you could forget where it is, but the payoff might be worth it. 

Or things that force people to work together.  No 10 person groups or anything, just something that requires 2 or 3 people. lol loveor

lol badspot you have a dirty mind XD

eh. who the panda is kitty! She looks weird!_!
i know this a old post but you fail at life and the internet

So Badspot, what do you have to say about player housing?
We've heard you say that's what you'd like ideally, but are you considering?

Speaking of trade we need to be able to mail more than one of an item, or get a trade GUI in there somewhere.

On a technical aspect of this, an NPC mediator can be used, when you speak to them it comes up with a listing of all players currently talking to said NPC, you can click on one to request trade, then if they accept it pops up the trade GUI for the two of you and you can trade larger amounts of items/gold through this interface. Yay for random NPCs'.

Aaaand we're back to houses again it seems, so I will post on it as is my fashion.  For housing I like the idea and Badspots post seems to put him as a supporter, but I think that just telling him we want houses is'nt going to work, at least come up wit a way to put it in. Should the houses be like the shop? Should it be a neigborhood or are they all separate? Perhaps they will be in some ridiculously far away repeat? Ideas people.  I personally support a neighborhood but with a lock implementation to keep people like spoon and gristy out, that would give you a way to do larger trades as well.

If it made you go to another area, like the shop does, I suppose it wouldn't have as much lag as if all the houses were together, and more like the beach house.

I still say you should have to buy your house.  And there should be a fninite number of houses.  The difficult part here is getting a single warp tht will take each person to THEIR house and allow them to take OTHER people to it as well.

Another NPC?

You use a key. You pay for copies of your key, and anybody who has your key can get into your house. Finally, the key is a quest item.

You can only carry one key at a time, so if you want into your friends house, you need to store your own key in a saftey deposit box.

Honestly, I'd rather have a watch tower then a house.

Wedge you are the only coder that I know of posting in here do what I do and come up with ways to implement these ideas.

Watch Tower..... back to putting it on the map there.... ok w/e.  If it will be on the map it should still cost you some gold *cough50kcough* and the key idea... POST A WAY TO DO IT I DON'T UNDERSTAND TORQUE SCRIPTS BECAUSE MY C++ DIED.... but anyway it could use the "Quest ID" field and make keys quest items, that way it can prevent anyone from dropping keys(need a way for the house owner to take it away) and the door can check the Quest thing the same way the hooks do and thusly open or not open based on that.

So Badspot, what do you have to say about player housing?
We've heard you say that's what you'd like ideally, but are you considering?

Umm, Badspot is working on retail, and wants to get it done (I'm talking about Blockland, hint hint) Something like player housing will take months to make.

The jailing has become a way to exploit the baton for cougar to steal everyones horses...
So far the best personal dynamic aside from that and the competition for gold/items is dueling, expansion of teh dueling scene would make everyone happy.  I would go on to talk about bringing back stats but BS is pretty closed-minded on it and everyone else will bash me :/

EDIT:For the first part it's jailbait = -30 dems, horse theft = +80; -30+80=50<60 GAH!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:16:27 PM by Anti-Cop »

what if there was a super mega meteor shower
everyone would be like cool we get lots of aut
but then a giant meteor appears
and slowly falls
and falls
when it hits it crashes the server and when everyone plays again they would have to download an update... but then there will be a huge crater outside of port.....and thigns would be changed some how.,..... not sure how but stil....
if this were to happen what would you do in the last day you had before it hits

That'd certainly stir up alot. xD

That's a funny idea.

I would laugh at the people that missed it....unless it was me.....then I would cry.