Poll

is minecraft dead

yes
270 (61.8%)
no
167 (38.2%)

Total Members Voted: 436

Author Topic: Minecraft Megathread; yeah its update 1.12 big whoop what about it  (Read 5851325 times)

I hate to be mean,
but in my opinion,
i think mine-con looks boring :S

I mean, talking to the devs is cool, but it looks boring

Still, frickin' Disneyland man. :D
I would have loved to go there. :P

Still, frickin' Disneyland man. :D
I would have loved to go there. :P
wait,
disneyland?
im dumb

If I was at disneyland and I was able to get into minecon for free I wouldn't go.

If I was at disneyland and I was able to get into minecon for free I wouldn't go.

If I could have, I would have gone to minecon just to ask Jeb if he's considered moving stairs/slabs to generic functionality parented to another blocktype.

Then all you do is create the stair block with the actual material as the parent, and it has all the right properties (tool material, strength, etc) - could even have it automatically create crafting recipes. Same for slabs. This would presumably also make it easier to maintain the code for these - like slab and stair lighting.

I just got minecraft and I just want to say how much I love it.
My account name is Ghetto_Panda284

I just got minecraft and I just want to say how much I love it.
My account name is Ghetto_Panda284

If I could have, I would have gone to minecon just to ask Jeb if he's considered moving stairs/slabs to generic functionality parented to another blocktype.

Then all you do is create the stair block with the actual material as the parent, and it has all the right properties (tool material, strength, etc) - could even have it automatically create crafting recipes. Same for slabs. This would presumably also make it easier to maintain the code for these - like slab and stair lighting.

That probably isn't possible. When he explained why you can't have two different kind of slabs in a single block, it came off that adding so much data wouldn't fit 4 bytes. But that is talking about a single block instead of matching up two of any kind, so... Well, point being, that sounds WAY too obvious a solution. There must be implications.

Solution to block problem: Create all possible combinations as solid blocks.

That probably isn't possible. When he explained why you can't have two different kind of slabs in a single block, it came off that adding so much data wouldn't fit 4 bytes. But that is talking about a single block instead of matching up two of any kind, so... Well, point being, that sounds WAY too obvious a solution. There must be implications.
Well, I don't necessarily mean being able to combine different slabs (I'd love that, but that's not necessarily the purpose)

The purpose of this is that you don't really need to do anything to define a new stair or slab block - if there's a solid block, just create a new stair parented to it and that stair has all the solid block's properties and overrides everything back to that solid block.

So, instead of creating a NetherBrickSlabBlock class and copying everything that netherbricks do over to that - what tool to mine it with, its strength, explosion resistance, etc... and changing the render type to stairs, you instead create a new StairBlock object and give it the nether brick block as its parent. Then if you attempt to get the tool type, explosion resistance, etc. from that, it will actually return its parent's value. Essentially it just inherits everything.

Actually I really want to know how you even thought I meant having two types of slab in one block. I didn't even mention anything like that.

I was saying that when he talked about the problem with that, he talked about how doing that specific thing couldn't fit into 4 bytes. I was saying that accompanying every block for default slabs, stairs, etc. might have a similar problem. Then I mentioned that in his problem, combining two different kinds was probably an exponential problem, whereas just applying a single block ID to a default block might actually work. Of course, your idea seems VERY obvious. I don't know why they haven't, but since such a change hasn't been made, there must be some problem. It's too simple not to do unless there is...

Mod API coming in January.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/680-breaking-news-modding-api-updates/

Ugh, there have been many release dates for the API in the past. Oh well, at least they're still working on it. I think it will actually be released this time around, too.

^summary of minecon

Not even kidding, haha.