RTB Development

Author Topic: RTB Development  (Read 328059 times)

Okay, I've sorted out the beta sign-up system. Once you sign-up you get an email from BlockBot (personally) with details about how to login to Trac.

I forgot that I needed to include the auto-updater in the alpha so I'm going to have to do a bit of work refactoring that into RTB4. The bad news here is that I'm also refactoring the API to use a new method of data encoding which requires a new hefty support script to be written.

I may just use the old auto-updater in the interests of getting this alpha out.

Interesting... The alpha is for the Staff only, correct?

The alpha is for about 20 users I've selected as pre-beta beta testers. They'll be getting a PM about it when I'm ready.

Holy disappearing post!

Forgive my ignorance if this was posted a ways back (the thread is getting pretty large) but was any headway made on better dedicated server support? When things like JVS and VCE get updated, it's difficult to determine if my dedicated servers have the latest and greatest versions of these add-ons. Also, I am curious to know if the RTB Prefs system has been improved any. I know at one point there was a limitation as to how many prefs could be added to it and I've also noticed that with many other Add-Ons making use of the Prefs system that it can now take quite a while scrolling to find the specific preference you are looking for.

Holy disappearing post!

Yeah, I noticed it too. It keeps it clean around here.

Forgive my ignorance if this was posted a ways back (the thread is getting pretty large) but was any headway made on better dedicated server support? When things like JVS and VCE get updated, it's difficult to determine if my dedicated servers have the latest and greatest versions of these add-ons. Also, I am curious to know if the RTB Prefs system has been improved any. I know at one point there was a limitation as to how many prefs could be added to it and I've also noticed that with many other Add-Ons making use of the Prefs system that it can now take quite a while scrolling to find the specific preference you are looking for.

I haven't actually posted any details about it so it's worth talking about it briefly now.

I've got an overhaul of the dedicated functionality on the way. This is going to include (as you mentioned) better visibility of add-on updates for dedicated server owners. You'll get dedicated console alerts if your add-ons are outdated and a command to run which will update them and restart the server. You'll also get warnings if you join the server as a super admin reminding you to install them. When the new website goes live (quite a way off from now) you'll be able to manage your dedicated from a web interface which will allow you to see all the add-ons it has installed and which ones are outdated. The downside is you can't restart it from the web unless you've got something running on your server which auto-restarts Blockland if it quits.

I'm not sure there's ever been a pref limit, and it certainly wasn't intentional. When I built the system I didn't see it becoming to widely used so the gui wasn't optimized for a bunch of data. I'll be looking at re-designing this at some point because at the moment it's just too hard to find what you're looking for.

Holy disappearing post!

If too much irrelevant crap is posted in this topic I just delete it. Things like "nice work" or "can't wait" aren't very helpful in a development thread. People should be discussing features and proposing new ones - or if they don't have anything to say, don't post.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:07:00 AM by Ephialtes »

I'm not sure there's ever been a pref limit, and it certainly wasn't intentional. When I built the system I didn't see it becoming to widely used so the gui wasn't optimized for a bunch of data. I'll be looking at re-designing this at some point because at the moment it's just too hard to find what you're looking for.
I get complaints that RP Content does not work correctly. I've found out that this was occurred due reset of RTB preferences. Either it's a lot of preferences, or RP Content is doing something wrong. The only thing that is different through RP Content and other add-ons handling TB preferences, is that RP Content also saves its own preferences. It's like a double backup. Do you think that that has something to do with it?

is that RP Content also saves its own preferences. It's like a double backup. Do you think that that has something to do with it?

Yes. I haven't had any reports of RTB preferences not saving correctly so it's something your code has done.

The bug is rare, but it is there. I cannot see any wrong with my code, but I've wrong before.
Code: [Select]
// Load preferences
function LoadPreferences()
{
    // First time
    if (!isFile("config/server/RP_Core/prefs.cs"))
        export("$RP::pref::*", "config/server/RP_Core/prefs.cs");

// User defined
    exec("config/server/RP_Core/prefs.cs");
}

Code: [Select]
// Reload preferences
LoadPreferences();

// Create RTB Preferences
if (isFile("Add-Ons/System_ReturnToBlockland/server.cs") && !$RP::Core::RTB)
{
    if (!$RTB::RTBR_ServerControl_Hook)
    {
        exec("Add-Ons/System_ReturnToBlockland/RTBR_ServerControl_Hook.cs");
    }
    $RP::Core::RTB = true;

// Server
    RTB_registerPref("Local Chat Distance", "RP Content", "$RP::pref::server::visibleDistance", "int 10 200", "RP Core", $RP::pref::server::visibleDistance, false, false, "");
    // -snip repeat code-
}
Does this feel odd for you? I do have some commands that is changing some prefs too. Is that something I need to take in consideration?

I think it'd be cool if there was some sort of ingame RTB menu. So while I was on a server I could open up Mod Manager and such without console commands, or more than one keybind.

Perhaps an added button on the escape menu could be to open the RTB menu.

Mod manager keybind mod.

Mod manager keybind mod.
Not just mod manager, but all features of RTB, the menu would include RTB Connect, RTB Mod Manager, eventually the Gallery, and whatever else I might be missing.

Ephialtes, did the updates for V17 fix the problem that RTB4 was having?