Author Topic: Frank Lloyd Wright style house -Build is done- Refer to page 9 for more info.  (Read 13141 times)

What is the brick count at this point? I'm just curious.

There seems to be way too much contrast with the "brick" design; it looks like a zebra.
I built the walls in a black/white pattern for ease of building. It goes a lot faster I've found to do the mortar and a single color and then coloring it later as opposed to coloring it as you go along.

Please refer to this very lovey animation of the finished exterior.

Edit: Brick Count is 10192
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 07:38:43 PM by Sirrus »

The left side is boring, it's flat, I would suggest adding something there.

The left side is boring, it's flat, I would suggest adding something there.
I'd add more windows but then it's difficult to do a good interior.

Hey guys, sorry for double post and excessive updating but I feel like I need to get input on this before I go any farther in the build.

I'm, at this point, going to tear down the 4th wall and basically ruin the surprise I had in store for you guys. Actually, this whole build was supposed to be a surprise but as I was saying before it's hard for me to work without input.

Anyway, it may not look it from the outside, but this is a pretty small house. A lot of the bulk you see is terraces and cantilevered roofs, but the actual floorspace is not that much. There is also the problem of the design being extremely open with a lot of windows: This makes it difficult to sneak efficiently sized rooms into the build, thus eliminating the ability to make any more than about one bedroom.

If you noticed, I made a stairway down to a lower level, but from that level I made an even lower level.
I know it looks horrid right now, but I've got a few goods ideas for how to spruce it up, the only thing I don't know what to do with, however, are the three-high 4x cub walls. I could make just blank walls, but that would look pretty bad.

Anyway, this was my idea from pretty soon after the beginning, because I knew I wasn't going to have an excess of space up top, I had to turn below ground. So, while the upper build can be a kitchen, nice dining room, and several communal social areas, the lower levels can be the private spaces: bedrooms, a family room or two and a kitchen/small dining room.

Now, since most people like natural light and wouldn't like to have their bedrooms underground, this presented a problem. My first idea was to have windows in the cliff side, but I think this would be more trouble than it's worth to pull off.

The solution I came up with, was this.

The above picture is a skylight in the first bedroom I built, and the second picture is me standing in front of what the skylight looks like topside. Believe it or not, there's actually a handful of buildings that have been built recently almost completely underground and have skylights like this.

I really like this idea, especially if I can make the basement attractive enough to make it worth going down there. Tell me what you guys think.

I was skimming over the pictures and thought that last picture was of a trough.
It is an interesting concept though. Best of luck with the basement.

Good Job, Keep up the good work, Id remove that brown in the lower lower basement with that snazzy wall pattern that you hate so much

The exterior looks nice.

Good luck with your underground bedroom. It would suck if there was an earthquake, but if there was a tornado, you're pretty lucky.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:18:15 PM by MrCookie »

How I solve the room problem is I build the exterior first with no windows, then I make rooms, and finally I make the windows.

How I solve the room problem is I build the exterior first with no windows, then I make rooms, and finally I make the windows.
I like it. I'll have to try that on my next build.

As for the walls I had a stroke of inspiration inspired by the inspiring Mr. Left4Life.

Edit:

Wall design 1 and 2. I think I like 1 more, but it would either have to be an accent or only halfway up the wall as I think it would a bit overwhelming to have everywhere. I think I could get away with 2 being over all the walls.

Bedroom re-design. Top of these two would be an accent wall option where the second one could be done the whole room around, I think.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 12:46:28 PM by Sirrus »

Yes, I like 2 to, Maybe you could find a way to spell out Sirrus and do that instead of hiding somewhere in the build, because in the last picture it looks like there is an S in the wall

Yes, I like 2 to, Maybe you could find a way to spell out Sirrus and do that instead of hiding somewhere in the build, because in the last picture it looks like there is an S in the wall
It's already hidden. Quite well, if you ask me.

its even more beautiful now!!!!! could...you...maybe post a save?  :cookieMonster: