Accused for hacking at school.

Author Topic: Accused for hacking at school.  (Read 61449 times)

Well, let me start it this way, i was at school, and we had a free lesson at IT, so i decided that it might be a nice idea to learn a little programming for windows.
I created a batch file, and opened it in notepad to make a basic welcome message, i can't run batches from my user account, as it requires administrator access (this is because they want to stop people running games)
I put it on the school hard drive, it works, but it doesn't do anything harmful.
Then, the next day, the technician calls me in and tells me i have been banned from the computer for trying to hack user accounts with a batch file, now, what the forget.
First of all, that's beyond my intention and skills, and why would i want to?
He didn't bother to read it in notepad, i asked him why he thinks it's hacking, and i didn't get a reply.

Anyway, discuss.

Owned. Though I got hit worse a couple of days ago:

For my web design class, I wrote a slick little comment system in PHP and people in my class were posting and toying around with it. Then some people started to spam it with tribal jokes, etc. I was deleting their posts, but to no avail. The next day, I got called into the office and suspended for, being a skilled "hacker" by providing a medium in which people could write harmful messages. Meh...

Lol you're schools are paranoid, the closest thing I came to that was in my computer Info Science class I had photoshop open and I was running it in sync with dreamweaver and running some scripts inside photoshop, as well as rendering some HTML inside photoshop and it slowed down the entire school's system, I was then called down to the office and I was interrogated for my supposed, "Leet haxing skills".

I heard a story about someone who got in trouble for "hacking" because they opened the task mangier in front of a teacher.

Owned. Though I got hit worse a couple of days ago:

For my web design class, I wrote a slick little comment system in PHP and people in my class were posting and toying around with it. Then some people started to spam it with tribal jokes, etc. I was deleting their posts, but to no avail. The next day, I got called into the office and suspended for, being a skilled "hacker" by providing a medium in which people could write harmful messages. Meh...
Well, in education, you're going to expect that.
Our school hosted a socialgo server.
it got flooded with spam, hate and bullying.

I heard a story about someone who got in trouble for "hacking" because they opened the task mangier in front of a teacher.
I nearly hit my face to the desk cackling

Wtf why are we punished for things like this

We should be praised, and they should encourage these skills

Wtf why are we punished for things like this

We should be praised, and they should encourage these skills
Correction, they should encourage these über leet hacking skills

me and some friends were just going ALL YOUR BASE
then some teacher walked up and we chuckled and silenced

she thought we were using some sort of code to say she was a forgeter

slowed down the entire school's system

How the forget?

In middle school I got banned from the computer lab for password protecting an excel assignment because someone stole it.

Having the command prompt window open makes everyone assume you're hacking. I think it's just the fact that it's gray text on a black background that conjures up images of hacking in the movies. In fact, if I recolored the window so that the background was white and the text was black, nobody would say anything!

I commonly use 2 programs with a text interface at school, optipng and testdisk. Every time I use them people start asking what I'm doing and I find the best way to deal with it is calmly explain "this program takes big pictures and makes them tiny" (which is important when you're trying to send them to your instructors by email) or "my friend accidentally broke their flash drive and this program is trying to recover their essay" (which has saved me and a few other people some grief on more than one occasion).

It's even worse with the instructors because they've all seen the school's IT department go around and troubleshoot the network in the command prompt, so they assume your doing something that the school's IT department should be doing.

People are just really quick to assume bad faith, especially when it comes to computers. You could be doing something as simple as renewing the ip address on a computer (ip address conflicts occur occasionally on the system, rebooting would fix it but I don't have the time) and people just assume you're wiring money from a bank or changing your grades or something.

Fortunately I'm also in the engineering department most of the time and the students in the C++ for engineers class all have the command prompt open all the time because all of the programs they write are text based. So the questions always come from my friends and I can always pretend I'm an engineering student and fall back on the "it's a program for my c++ class" excuse.

Next IT lesson, I'm going to open python and write a stuffforget of random lines that look like hax, and see my class' reaction.

Code: [Select]
@echo off
:a
color a3
color b3
color c2
color e5
color d0
color a2
color f4
color a3
color c8