15 (3.1%)
They're alright.
40 (8.1%)
Good.
86 (17.5%)
EPIC :3
318 (64.8%)

Total Members Voted: 486

Author Topic: Ostinyo's Maps - Goodbye old friends :(  (Read 165864 times)

Well, on Friday, can I join to help?

Well, on Friday, can I join to help?

Friday? Lol sure. The password will be help for everyone that wants to help this week.

my favorite map is bathroom:cookie: :cookieMonster: :panda: :iceCream: :nes:

Will I make a map in 2012? I really don't know, I am currently debating upon whether I should move on and work on my own game, work for a game studio, or just stick with Blockland as my little hobby. I have some game ideas I wish to pursue, yet attempting these things on Blockland only leads to disaster (as I have discovered).

The problem I'm having right now is that Blockland isn't advanced enough for me - I want to do level design for games that sport up-to-date graphics. The Torque engine is very old, and looks like crap. It breaks every complex interior design I have worked on, and often makes me want to pull my hair out. We all know that the engine will never be updated, and you could say it's fine for a blocky game like this, but doesn't allow for any sandbox creations beyond the boundaries of childishness. You cannot make a successful server RPG when vehicles keep flying through the ground and buildings, or when collision boxes are so off that projectiles fail to hit their true mark. I hope that soon, with the more advanced technology we're seeing every day, this game can be rebuilt from the ground up - allowing for precision in all aspects of gameplay.

For now I say this: I've enjoyed making these few Blockland maps, along with my many builds, but I want to move on and explore for the future. Not sure where I'm going to look, but I'll just have to find out. With my knowledge of the Torque engine, it's possible that I will attempt a few more big projects here and there, but I'm finished with it for the most part.

tl;dr version: Read the first letter of each paragraph. Very philosophic of me, eh? Really don't know where that came from...

Will I make a map in 2012? I really don't know, I am currently debating upon whether I should move on and work on my own game, work for a game studio, or just stick with Blockland as my little hobby. I have some game ideas I wish to pursue, yet attempting these things on Blockland only leads to disaster (as I have discovered).

The problem I'm having right now is that Blockland isn't advanced enough for me - I want to do level design for games that sport up-to-date graphics. The Torque engine is very old, and looks like crap. It breaks every complex interior design I have worked on, and often makes me want to pull my hair out. We all know that the engine will never be updated, and you could say it's fine for a blocky game like this, but doesn't allow for any sandbox creations beyond the boundaries of childishness. You cannot make a successful server RPG when vehicles keep flying through the ground and buildings, or when collision boxes are so off that projectiles fail to hit their true mark. I hope that soon, with the more advanced technology we're seeing every day, this game can be rebuilt from the ground up - allowing for precision in all aspects of gameplay.

For now I say this: I've enjoyed making these few Blockland maps, along with my many builds, but I want to move on and explore for the future. Not sure where I'm going to look, but I'll just have to find out. With my knowledge of the Torque engine, it's possible that I will attempt a few more big projects here and there, but I'm finished with it for the most part.

tl;dr version: Read the first letter of each paragraph. Very philosophic of me, eh? Really don't know where that came from...
WTF

WTF

Lol ikr?

Honestly though, I was playing Skyrim and I realized that I wanted to make worlds that look nice like that.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:06:42 PM by Wesley Williams »

Same for me Ostinyo. Torque is very very limited and is kind of a garbage language. I've been working with a lot of Lua lately and I actually have fun while I make stuff for Love2D. I'm pretty sick of the hassle it takes to make maps, and it really isn't worth it to me. We're like moving on bros. B)

Heck yes ;)

I'll have to see if I even go anywhere - really not sure yet. I love level design, though.

May I see some photo's of Warzone?
sounds like a pretty cool map. you should release it :D

May I see some photo's of Warzone?
sounds like a pretty cool map. you should release it :D

I'm probably going to release all of my server maps and builds, as I doubt I will be working on, them any more.

I'm probably going to release all of my server maps and builds, as I doubt I will be working on, them any more.
Can I get first dibs on Portal3?  :cookieMonster:

Can I get first dibs on Portal3?  :cookieMonster:

Sure, I trust you above anyone else to continue it. Want the final level plans? I still might finish it though.

oh gosh, these are EPIC.. Downtown in my favorite, then i can't wait for Med Kingdom to come out fully, then i'll use that for my Dragon Slayer RPG.. :PPPP