Poll

Online file storage like Google Drive? (monthly prices)

50GB ($3.00)
41 (11.2%)
100GB ($4.50)
17 (4.7%)
250GB ($7.50)
10 (2.7%)
500GB ($12.50)
7 (1.9%)
750GB ($16)
6 (1.6%)
1TB ($20)
30 (8.2%)
2-8TB (proportional to 1TB price)
0 (0%)
8-16TB (proportional to 1TB price)
43 (11.8%)
Prices too high (READ)
44 (12.1%)
No desire
167 (45.8%)

Total Members Voted: 365

Author Topic: Kaphost Blockland Servers  (Read 552626 times)

i knew you'd find some way to insult the service lol
The only way he can make it seem better is if he makes up stuff about my host.

The same hardware in a good quality datacenter would set you back something like $300 a month.
link?

also you called the 'better hardware' 'second-rate'

not sure that was intentional or not...

Or, you just pay too much for your stuff like Rub.
If you don't understand the issues with cheap providers this is your opinion. If you need rock solid availability (Kalph's server has had consistent monthly downtime since he started out), you can't go for a cheap provider. In the real world, the difference between 99.5% uptime and 100% uptime is important, expensive and worth paying for.

i knew you'd find some way to insult the service lol
Obviously.

@Lug http://www.singlehop.com/server-hosting/dedicated-servers/ take your pick.

and where does kalphiter get his servers from?

i wish to make my own comparisons, instead of taking it from a guy who i really don't trust.

i would say "don't take it personally" except that was kinda personal so yeah link please

and where does kalphiter get his servers from?

i wish to make my own comparisons, instead of taking it from a guy who i really don't trust.

i would say "don't take it personally" except that was kinda personal so yeah link please
http://www.server4you.com/

It appears kalphiter is using this server: http://www.server4you.com/root-server/server-details.php?products=3. Apparently that costs 68.9 per month?

I'm not positive what the difference between two CPU's and the same total number of cores is, but I believe kalphiters is a single processor, 8 core server clocked at about 2.4 ghz per core. there is no exact identical power with the other, but there is a two CPU 4x2.33 (8 total), but I'm not positive that's comparable. The closest one I can find is 8x2ghz.

These guys compare AMD opteron 3280 with a xeon 12-something. they suggest the intel-powered xeon will outperform the amd processor.
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1145974

to the best of my untrained, inexperienced eye, the servers mentioned are comparable.
I chose the ones that matched the best in all categories for the important comparison: price (USD)

kalphiter's server: 68.99 /month
rub's comparable server: 459.99 /month

um. that's a 391 USD difference

for similar hardware

the main differences I can see is the different provider, prettier website, and different processor manufacturer

• as someone not in the market, i would probably pay $0 more for the website.
  • [0]as an onlooker looking at downtime and uptime, as posted in the topic, which can be attributed to the datacenter, i would be satisfied with it. as someone who would be running a business off of their service, i would still be satisfied. 99% uptime? 98? i don't know what it is but it's big.
  • as for the different processors, the only difference i see is the name on the device. i hear that intel processors are faster, more efficient, better deals, and amd is budget brand in comparison, but that really doesn't bother me: it's unnoticeable on my end as the consumer. the server is as fast as it gets disregarding network latency (my end), it's handled every unintentional crash i've thrown it's way through scripting, and hasn't failed me.

conclusion: it doesn't matter. kalphiter's service
A: exists
B: provides satisfactory results
C: is cheap as forget

which of these can you promise, lub? I know you can't show A yet (still waiting on that date!), and because of A not existing, you can't top B and C yet either. I must be missing something important, because I'm a very happy user of kalphiter's service, and I'm not sold on the "superior hardware" provided by lub. Sounds like a windows/mac comparison to me.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:27:58 PM by Lugnut »

Looks like you entirely missed the point of what Rub was saying ... atleast I think you did - I stopped reading at the part where you confessed you know forget all about what you're talking about (I've gotta admit, I have had my suspicions!!)

Looks like you entirely missed the point of what Rub was saying ... atleast I think you did - I stopped reading at the part where you confessed you know forget all about what you're talking about (I've gotta admit, I have had my suspicions!!)
You two are compatible in the fact that you deal with this overpriced stuff. (Linode)

Hey Ephi, how's your fanboy's hosting service?

Hey Ephi, how's your fanboy's hosting service?
Probably better to ask him, Lub doesn't seem very happy to talk about it :cookieMonster:

Probably better to ask him, Lub doesn't seem very happy to talk about it :cookieMonster:
Yeah, he's probably too busy preparing his service for the end of the month- oh wait.

>September 23

Better hurry up Lub! :cookieMonster:

Yeah, he's probably too busy preparing his service for the end of the month- oh wait.

>September 23

Better hurry up Lub! :cookieMonster:
:cookieMonster:

You two are compatible in the fact that you deal with this overpriced stuff. (Linode)
I find it hilarious how you blindly defend your budget provider, calling all others overpriced when your lack of understanding about the industry is so overtly evident.

Take for example, last time I asked you to provide a better, cheaper, Linode alternative, you came back with a provider running OpenVZ and failed to understand the advantages of providers running Xen hypervizors, and admitted you had no idea what the difference was.

You also claim your provider has no problems, stating that paying more for better quality support and connectivity is pointless, then you sit there on WHT, speculating with other unhappy customers about the cause and timing of network packet loss, just because the poor support from your provider is unable to acknowledge, fix or provide help with this serious issue.

If you used a proper provider, if this problem happened, it would be acknowledged, fixed and explained before you even noticed it. That level of support is what you pay for.

Your complete ignorance not only puts you in no position to comment on the value of different providers but also repeatedly makes you look like a total fool. I know you think renting 1 cheap dedicated server puts you in a position to talk but it really does not. You'll get there one day baby, but the first step is admitting you have no idea what you're talking about and I doubt your autism will allow that.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:34:20 AM by Rub »

You make some good points, but does it not boil down to how the consumer feels about the product?
Kalphiter has 23 paying, happy customers. Besides, none of them give a stuff about 4am packet loss, they aren't online, and none of their players are either.

Conclusion: fancy stuff is irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong, there are better hosts out there, but for now, for this service, it doesn't matter.

You make some good points, but does it not boil down to how the consumer feels about the product?
Kalphiter has 23 paying, happy customers. Besides, none of them give a stuff about 4am packet loss, they aren't online, and none of their players are either.

Conclusion: fancy stuff is irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong, there are better hosts out there, but for now, for this service, it doesn't matter.
Again you fail to identify the point of my post. Please, give up.