Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 422484 times)

Thinking of building one?
I'm not really sure.
And I don't think I can order any parts because its all american websites.

Are there certain types of screens that are better than others?

Hey, no one said weeab- oh I see what you're trying to do you sly forget.

Hypothetically, what would happen to a computer if the GPU was partly fried?

Sorry for the double post.

How does this laptop look? I'd need to get it today to get the nearly $400 discount.

Code: [Select]
Satellite P870-BT2G22 Laptop
Part Number: PSPLBU-029019
This product will be custom-built for you. Average build time for customized orders is 2-3 weeks
Hide Customizations » Add Accessories »
PRODUCT DETAILS (your customization options are highlighted)
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor 2.30GHz (3.30GHz with Turbo Boost Technology 2.0), 6MB L3 Cache
Microsoft® Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
Microsoft® Office Software Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter
Memory 12GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM (4GB + 4GB + 4GB)
Hard Disk Drive 750GB (7200rpm); Hybrid 8G Serial ATA hard disk drive
Discrete Graphics Controller 2GB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M with NVIDIA® Optimus™ Technology
Optical Drive DVD SuperMulti drive
KeyBoard Options Glossy Black LED Backlit Tile keyboard
Speaker harman/kardon® Quad speakers
Wireless LAN & Bluetooth® Intel® Wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n) + Intel® Wireless Display Ready* + Bluetooth® v.4.0
Anti-Virus Software Norton Internet Security Suite (NIS) 2012 (30-day trial)
Standard Limited Warranty 1 Year Standard Limited Warranty (1 Year on Battery)
Hide Customizations Change Customizations »
List Price:$1,594.99
Instant Savings: -$380.00
Total Price: $1,214.99
This product qualifies for Free Ground Shipping!
Offer expires
9/3/12

Sorry for the double post.

How does this laptop look? I'd need to get it today to get the nearly $400 discount.

Code: [Select]
Satellite P870-BT2G22 Laptop
Part Number: PSPLBU-029019
This product will be custom-built for you. Average build time for customized orders is 2-3 weeks
Hide Customizations » Add Accessories »
PRODUCT DETAILS (your customization options are highlighted)
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor 2.30GHz (3.30GHz with Turbo Boost Technology 2.0), 6MB L3 Cache
Microsoft® Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
Microsoft® Office Software Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter
Memory 12GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM (4GB + 4GB + 4GB)
Hard Disk Drive 750GB (7200rpm); Hybrid 8G Serial ATA hard disk drive
Discrete Graphics Controller 2GB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M with NVIDIA® Optimus™ Technology
Optical Drive DVD SuperMulti drive
KeyBoard Options Glossy Black LED Backlit Tile keyboard
Speaker harman/kardon® Quad speakers
Wireless LAN & Bluetooth® Intel® Wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n) + Intel® Wireless Display Ready* + Bluetooth® v.4.0
Anti-Virus Software Norton Internet Security Suite (NIS) 2012 (30-day trial)
Standard Limited Warranty 1 Year Standard Limited Warranty (1 Year on Battery)
Hide Customizations Change Customizations »
List Price:$1,594.99
Instant Savings: -$380.00
Total Price: $1,214.99
This product qualifies for Free Ground Shipping!
Offer expires
9/3/12
My brother got a replacement from HP and it has a 650m. I think it is normally around $1300 - $1400. It has probably gone down since then, so I am not sure exactly how great of a deal this laptop is.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/A3G47AV;pgid=lspwU952XvxSRp4affPtjVT20000-BAtH-CX;sid=QrsuRzkVNtR3VWlWeiV10-AadqfrEjPOzxB_qaUJSGCj7P9kz45MRutu?HP-Pavilion-dv7t-7000-Quad-Edition-Entertainment-Notebook-PC

They are having a sale with a $300 rebate on everything. You can upgrade this computer to match the specs of that one, except with a better gpu. You can also go a bit beyond and stay near or less than the computer you posted. I don't know if this is the best deal on the web, but if you are okay with HP then it is better.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:22:24 PM by Doomonkey »

anyone dig my avatar?

that has nothing to do with computers?

My brother got a replacement from HP and it has a 650m. I think it is normally around $1300 - $1400. It has probably gone down since then, so I am not sure exactly how great of a deal this laptop is.
I've been thinking of upgrading the GPU after a little while if I can. I figured that this was a pretty great deal for all of the rest of the specs.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/A3G47AV;pgid=lspwU952XvxSRp4affPtjVT20000-BAtH-CX;sid=QrsuRzkVNtR3VWlWeiV10-AadqfrEjPOzxB_qaUJSGCj7P9kz45MRutu?HP-Pavilion-dv7t-7000-Quad-Edition-Entertainment-Notebook-PC

They are having a sale with a $300 rebate on everything. You can upgrade this computer to match the specs of that one, except with a better gpu. You can also go a bit beyond and stay near or less than the computer you posted. I don't know if this is the best deal on the web, but if you are okay with HP then it is better.
Well, this made things a bit more complicated.

What does anyone else think, is HP reliable compared to Toshiba?

Well, this made things a bit more complicated.

What does anyone else think, is HP reliable compared to Toshiba?
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/builder.workflow:Enter?sb=:000001C9:00003943:

Get the top level Lenovo Y580 with the eCoupon code.  I have one and it's great.  Comes with some bloatware but expected as always.

Yes. I would take an HP over a Toshiba any day. Not saying that Toshiba isn't good, I just prefer HP.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/builder.workflow:Enter?sb=:000001C9:00003943:

Get the top level Lenovo Y580 with the eCoupon code.  I have one and it's great.  Comes with some bloatware but expected as always.
I've decided against lenovo because I couldn't seem to find any with a 17.3" screen.