Boss Battles - Six years...

Poll

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Boss Battles - Six years...  (Read 1604430 times)

Volcano is pretty shut yo mouth

Hangar: Old, due for a rework, but still balanced. Sure it might need another spawn point area, finishing up on a few things but considering how old the map is, it does pretty damn well.
When building it I was pressed for time with the shader update, the arena being no where close to the quality I can produce now, along with the fact certain aspects can now be made possible do to mod terrian; "it does pretty damn well" is cool considering how bad it was originally made.

Later I will go about building a remake of the hangar, using the updated ideas of mine. The original model was unfinished and poor quality do to limited resources. Ideally I will find time to work on it unlike the original.

Bonus trap idea for new map: Hallways that extend along the ships exterior, with breakable windows. Once broken that hallway section of the map is sealed off and all the players within it are sucked out into space via radius-impulse. If the boss is sucked out he is dealt great damage but allowed to teleport via boss majjiks back into the ships hangar. That or an instakill for all, I feel like it should be as potent as the acid vats.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:09:36 AM by Bester Bageler »

-

I like these ideas, and I remember reading about when the Hangar was put in. It hasn't fallen victim to being changed like other maps however. Isn't required but if you'd like to, I will be happily waiting for the rework.

Ever since I saw hangar I've wanted a "get-sucked-into-space" trap :D

Bonus trap idea for new map: Hallways that extend along the ships exterior, with breakable windows. Once broken that hallway section of the map is sealed off and all the players within it are sucked out into space via radius-impulse. If the boss is sucked out he is dealt great damage but allowed to teleport via boss majjiks back into the ships hangar. That or an instakill for all, I feel like it should be as potent as the acid vats.

While this does seem like a good idea, I can see several problems arise with it. Unless these hallways led to areas where Normals/Bosses would actually want to go (ie capture point), it doesn't seem like it would be all that useful, as people would just see the hallway as a deathtrap with no purpose for getting to the other side. The other problem could arise with camping said hallways. Waiting for some Normals to pile in, then shoot it, and vice versa.

OT: My dad actually made DM maps for the original Half Life, and he actually made a map with that exact idea implemented in it. So that's purty cool

wtf boss battles is still a thing

The pet mod is done. Find your favorite pet with /petshop!

Once you own a pet, you can also rename your pet with /renamepet. It's also possible to recolor certain pets with the /recolorpet command.

Donors of $6 or more get a free kitten! Type /claimpet

Yay! :3

While this does seem like a good idea, I can see several problems arise with it. Unless these hallways led to areas where Normals/Bosses would actually want to go (ie capture point), it doesn't seem like it would be all that useful, as people would just see the hallway as a deathtrap with no purpose for getting to the other side. The other problem could arise with camping said hallways. Waiting for some Normals to pile in, then shoot it, and vice versa.

OT: My dad actually made DM maps for the original Half Life, and he actually made a map with that exact idea implemented in it. So that's purty cool
All hallways that could be sealed off will have a secondary route deeper into the arena making sure that players can still access it from both sides if they avoid being sucked in. And ideally these areas should be focal points among the hallway system.

The original plan was to make a more extensive network of hall paths, going from the bottom of the hangar to the top. But brick limit was an issue. Do to mod terrain and the brick limit having been upped to a million bricks I can now go about making what was originally planned. Not one hangar but two, and a large room with the ships core. The boss is trying to capture said core from a station right in front of it. The design will make it sort of a hunt through the halls for the boss where the boss is able to ambush them at anytime. Thus players having to work together and force him into the open of one of the three main areas.  

You will already have deduced the fact that the size of the halls is the main problem with this, the original hangar had this problem also with Mocheeze so to fix it I am increasing the hallway size to where a boss could be surrounded but not being in physical contact. With some distance in between for projectiles and what not. The hallways were always meant to be quite airy in size. Fortification of the halls is something the players will have to do. But with there being multiple hallways to the same location making it improbable to fortify each one the question shall arise of "where should we look." The whole map is an opportunity for the boss to take off players one by one or in great swaths. This balances out for the maps small size being completely interior.

I like to think the key to a good arena is giving players the opportunity to try different fighting styles. From up close, to a distance, to being hidden, the map design of the hangar shall encourage players to try each of these things with locations where fighting that way is best suited.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:14:42 AM by Bester Bageler »

-snip-

The pet mod is done. Find your favorite pet with /petshop!

Once you own a pet, you can also rename your pet with /renamepet. It's also possible to recolor certain pets with the /recolorpet command.

With a million bricks, will the old Cathedral map see the light of day again?