Boss Battles - Six years...

Poll

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Boss Battles - Six years...  (Read 1604279 times)

remove rocketman as a new years' present
I'm sure the bulk of us would appreciate it

remove rocketman as a new years' present
I'm sure the bulk of us would appreciate it

No

The only way I'd be for 'boss upgrades', or a boss 'shop', is if it was handled carefully and cost a decent amount of boss coins rather than points because we already know what happens with the normals, minibosses get spammed every round if someone's bored. They'd have to end up being minor buffs or tweaks like Ephi taking less knockback, although I find that shouldn't be something people buy rather than actually put into the game since every game turns into "let's see how long the rocketmen can stall". My ending note is that these rounds don't even take that long, so unless these upgrades actually do something, it's just a point sink. It would be most unfortunate if something like this were to not have a lot of thought put into it.
Ok without making this into a 2 pages of fighting back and forth.

You can stall the game with every class, we can't just remove something and add something else and hope it doesn't happen again. Because at this point in a few months then Rocketman will be removed out of the blue and then we will get scientist #2.

Why can't we just run an experimental server for a few hours at random days so we can enhance playability without making blind runs and hoping that x thing fixes x problem and then later getting backlash for changes that end up breaking other things.

I'm not sure if I remember this correctly or not but years ago in the early day of boss battles, weren't the TF2 inspired classes going to be replaced completely by different classes that are completely original? But then we just stuck to the TF2 like classes?

Even the boss can stall a game, maybe instead of changing the classes we should look at a way to make these stalls ends quick, I know even if there was a /votekill like command it would end up being abused so there has to be another way.

There's really not another way to stop stalls (see a close solution below), there's idiots out there that want to be funny and just stall, especially camping in the spawn room (this can be fixed by killing the player after 30 seconds of the boss picking a class, players should already have time to pick a class so it shouldn't be that bad)

What we can do is create a light system after a certain amount of time (my Randomizer does this) that reveals where the player is if the alive player count in the minigame does not change in 60 seconds. It does help people to kill others that stall the round.

That could fix it but what if the boss decides to stall as well?

What if the stalling player killed if the stalling criteria are met?

As an example,

*All the normals are dead but one player remains. (can also be a variable set to maybe 2 player)
*Player has not attacked the boss or taken damage in a set time.
*player has stayed still or in the same spot for a set ammount of time (this one can be bypassed if another criteria is met)
*player is x distanced away from the boss

Of course those would need to be tweaked or maybe have another one added it.

But that's my idea for an autokilling staller system.

Ok without making this into a 2 pages of fighting back and forth.

You can stall the game with every class, we can't just remove something and add something else and hope it doesn't happen again. Because at this point in a few months then Rocketman will be removed out of the blue and then we will get scientist #2.

Why can't we just run an experimental server for a few hours at random days so we can enhance playability without making blind runs and hoping that x thing fixes x problem and then later getting backlash for changes that end up breaking other things.

I'm not sure if I remember this correctly or not but years ago in the early day of boss battles, weren't the TF2 inspired classes going to be replaced completely by different classes that are completely original? But then we just stuck to the TF2 like classes?

Even the boss can stall a game, maybe instead of changing the classes we should look at a way to make these stalls ends quick, I know even if there was a /votekill like command it would end up being abused so there has to be another way.

Just going to address a few points with some short replies.

1, not every class can actually stall. Sure, hiding and stalling can be the same thing, but an overweight can't run from a boss. Unsure if we keep those two terms tied to each other or what. I really wouldn't pick at Rocketman so much if they actually did some damage, spoilers, they don't. Oftentimes they help more than harm the boss, or just annoy.

2, not up to my decision/requires effort and/or time, usually things are done out of the blue at random times

3, good question as I recall something of the sort but I don't believe it was continued, or perhaps shelved for a long while

4, I've spoken to people back and forth about how to fix bosses stalling, we ended up with the cap laser doing damage over time to the boss which I find works rather well

There's really not another way to stop stalls (see a close solution below), there's idiots out there that want to be funny and just stall, especially camping in the spawn room (this can be fixed by killing the player after 30 seconds of the boss picking a class, players should already have time to pick a class so it shouldn't be that bad)

What we can do is create a light system after a certain amount of time (my Randomizer does this) that reveals where the player is if the alive player count in the minigame does not change in 60 seconds. It does help people to kill others that stall the round.

I like the 30s cutoff idea. Light system seems interesting. I'll put some thoughts into it.

Whenever I'm badspot or ephi, rocket men just push me around and don't do much damage. It prevents me from getting kills (which it is supposed to do) but at least I can't get stabbed

I like the 30 second idea too, but that wont stop people from stalling in the map.

Shelving the total re-work of the classes might be something that we should bring back, if the classes continue to be nerfed constantly then there's obviously some re-working that needs to be done.

Also while an overweight can't run from the boss, once he is hiding somewhere it will take a while to find him, worse if its a map exploit like the ones that pop up occasionally, remember the one where someone managed to get outside of volcano? Yeah that is even worse.

The test server wouldn't need to be dedicated and could be hosted from somebody's local computer, player limit would be something like 17 or 19, I know your not the person to speak to about this but I though I would just throw this out here hoping that Jetz or Pecon sees it as well, since I don't think its worth a pm. Like I said this idea is for testing stuff instead of just making the change and hoping it works.

Whenever I'm badspot or ephi, rocket men just push me around and don't do much damage. It prevents me from getting kills (which it is supposed to do) but at least I can't get stabbed
This is another thing that you guys should really take a look at, some of the fixes are based around badspot and ephi not being able to do damage or kill (looking at you runner...and samus), I think they need to be re-done completely, they both are basically jump around and try to kill or bounce around with the shockwave...

To get to the point, Badspot and Ephialtes in my opinion need to be looked at and probably re-done, new weapons mainly, and maybe replace Epihaltes with a new boss based on the development of Blockland Glass.

Speaking of sporadic changes, I just did an update that may concern your discussion.

http://bossbattles.pecon.us/forum/?topic=58&page=4#568

- A slight 'jump delay' (like the one Overweight has had for a long time, but shorter) was added to ALL classes including bosses, to help prevent using Modter ramps to gain unproportionate amounts of speed quickly.
This triggers me

Also, what do you mean by fixing the flamethrower?

If I remember the flamethrower didn't do damage.

Someone backstabbed Skeletal King as Sky Captain and this happened, lol

13:57:54   Redconer   33688   Skeletal saying that Sky Captain is the best boss, and so far he wasted ammo
13:58:00   Visolator   48980   rip
  • 13:58:00   The Skeletal King   151247   wtf

13:58:02   Harbinger   24271   ski captain is the best boss
13:58:18   Visolator   48980   i want mocheeze
13:58:30   General Creed   48285   I want mochicken
  • 13:58:30   The Skeletal King   151247   forget you loving cunt bastard stuff head peace of hacking stuff loving motherforgeter forget YOU

13:58:35   Redconer   33688   Salty
13:58:35   General Creed   48285   Geez
13:58:36   Visolator   48980   what the forget lmao
13:58:37   Redconer   33688   SALT
13:58:39   Luneth   11167   dont cut yourself with that edge
13:58:45   General Creed   48285   Need some pepper with that salt?
13:58:53   Redconer   33688   He's a gash wound with the Dead Sea pouring all over it
  • 13:59:12   The Skeletal King   151247   i'l loving murder you in your forgetign sleep and if i don't i hope you go loving die in a loving forget you loving arse
  • [0] 13:59:26   The Skeletal King   151247   go forget yourself in hell you us
    13:59:31   Luneth   11167   ffs
    13:59:34   General Creed   48285   Dear lord you're an angry punk

the salteletal king
also I agree with Creed, I also want mochicken