Author Topic: Pokémon VG Megathread  (Read 735271 times)

the thing here is that up until now we've had completely obvious names for eeveelutions, but I can't for the life of my figure out what the "sylv" prefix is for
I'm not sure if Nintendo/Gamefreak are ones to do so, but it could be a temp name as of the moment?

But, off the top of my head, I can only see it as a corruption of "Silver", suggesting Steel Type, but the design obviously doesn't reflect that in any way.

But, the prefix could come from a word from a diferent language. So far all Eeveelution prefixes have been from English words, bar Espeon (where the esp comes from ESP), and Umbreon, where Umbr comes from the latin Umbra.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:04:39 PM by sir dooble »

Could you stop putting the names of new Pokemon in the title please. I don't want to sound like a richard but I want to go into the game knowing next to nothing about the region and it's pokemon :s

Could you stop putting the names of new Pokemon in the title please. I don't want to sound like a richard but I want to go into the game knowing next to nothing about the region and it's pokemon :s

it's a single pokemon out of a hundred

that's next to nothing

it's not like they're going to reveal every single pokemon individually so I can fit them all in the title

Looking at Ninfia's Bulbapedia page, it has the French name translated as "Nymphali".

The french Eeveelutions all have the suffix of "li", and their prefixes relate to the description of the Pokemon, as in the English names. For example, Vaporeon is "Aquali".

So, the prefix for the French name, is "Nympha", coming from the word "Nymph".
Which, in mythology, are nature deities, assosciated with certain locations. Which can be places in the sky, or the ground, or the sea, or even in space.
So, it's still very vague in what the actual typing of Ninfia could be. But it gives some reference as to it's design, being that Nymphs are supposed to be beautiful and graceful, hence Ninfia's pink body and flowing scarves/ribbons.

So, the prefix for the French name, is "Nympha", coming from the word "Nymph".
Which, in mythology, are nature deities, assosciated with certain locations. Which can be places in the sky, or the ground, or the sea, or even in space.
Which would fit in perfectly with the "Light" type speculation, which is supposed to be applied to fairy Pokemon like Clefairy and Chansey.

Which would fit in perfectly with the "Light" type speculation, which is supposed to be applied to fairy Pokemon like Clefairy and Chansey.
Could be. They've only done it once before, when they introduced Steel, and retconned Magnemite and Magnetron to be Steel types, aswell as Electric types.

I suppose there are possibly a few Psychic and Normal type pokemon that could be re-classed as "Light", if wanted.

I'm just curious as to what a theoretical "Light" type would be like, in terms of effectiveness and weaknesses to other types.
Doing extra damage to Ghost and Dark would make sense. But I've no idea how it would work in comparison to other types. Although, I'd guess it wouldn't be effective against Grass types (since plants, and therefore grass types, flourish in sunlight, but would that give means for Grass to be super-effective against Light?).

If they add another type, I'll complain loudly until I actually play the games and enjoy its addition.

http://thedailyhotness.net/post/42939398704/ninfia-or-nympheon-is-the-first-of-two-eevee
Ninfia or Nympheon is the first of two Eevee evolutions to be introduced in Pokemon X and Y. Much like Umbreon in Gen II was one of the first known Dark type pokemon, Nympheon of Gen VI is one of the first Light type pokemon. Much like the Dark, Psychic, Fighting and the Grass, Water, Fire trinities, Light pokemon complete a trinity with Dragon and Steel types. As when Magnemite and Magneton retroactively had Steel added to their types, most of the Fairy egg group will have Light added as a secondary type, such as Chansey, Audino, and Clefairy.

I wonder why they decided to call it steel type instead of a generic metal type. I'm sure that some of the steel types aren't made of steel.

As for a light type, here's what I think it's weaknesses/resistances are:

Effective against:
-Dark
-Ghost
-Ice
-Water

Not effective against:
-Fire
-Grass
-Fighting
-Steel
-Electric
-Light
-Rock

Weak against:
-Steel
-Dark
-Grass

Not effective against:
-Fire
-Grass
-Fighting
-Steel
-Electric
-Light
-Rock
When you say not effective, do you mean no effect, half damage, normal damage or a mixture?

When you say not effective, do you mean no effect, half damage, normal damage or a mixture?

Those are types that it'll do half damage against.

Maybe steel and electric would be immune to light. (Steel reflects light, electric is already kinda light)

i like the idea that light and dark cancel eachother out

Pokémon factoid: The Psychic trio of the Sinnoh Region, Azelf, Uxie, and Mespirit, can each learn one of the 3 elemental moves, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice-Beam, respectively.
I learned this from playing through Pokémon Diamond version.