Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 434746 times)

Thats a good idea. I agree with a lot other people here. We take the shadows and shaders and delete the interiors and terrain. Even if it was great... it lags like hell, because it takes ~45% of the game speed away. All hail Shadows and shaders!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:58:09 PM by Cajetan »

You are really stupid if you don't understand this.
I was questioning why a light source would appear in an open space.  That makes no sense and complicates the game engine.

I was questioning why a light source would appear in an open space.  That makes no sense and complicates the game engine.
Do you mean ambient lighting?  That's a pretty basic feature in most game engines, if we didn't have it, things would look very weird.

Do you mean ambient lighting?  That's a pretty basic feature in most game engines, if we didn't have it, things would look very weird.
hopefully in the future we could see traced(?) lighting or something, where the spots that the sun cannot fill would render dark, so there could be abandoned dark basements in a light map. it would be cool to shoot down a light and have a tunnel go dark, adds something unique.

OP (in the sense of this mini-topic) said light is generated in the center of an enclosed room if it is large enough.

Which doesn't make sense...

OP (in the sense of this mini-topic) said light is generated in the center of an enclosed room if it is large enough.

Which doesn't make sense...
Realistically it doesn't, programmatically it does: We have ambient light already. If you made an enclosed room, shadows would be cast into the room, however if it was large enough the shadows would peter out and the ambient light would take over in the center.

The answer: Play on maps with no ambient light and do all your lighting yourself.

Realistically it doesn't, programmatically it does: We have ambient light already. If you made an enclosed room, shadows would be cast into the room, however if it was large enough the shadows would peter out and the ambient light would take over in the center.

The answer: Play on maps with no ambient light and do all your lighting yourself.
I thought light was controlled by a universal vector, and in this instance, an object that blocks the vector from touching the ground, therefore creating shadows.  If this were a large room, then wouldn't it not light the very middle since shadows travel over the center of it, since light vectors come from infinity in a certain direction, then light cannot be created without a source.

I may be wrong in how the game lights, but this is my assumption.

SO!
it wont look as good with all the shaders and shadows and stuff
yes it will

SO!
it wont look as good with all the shaders and shadows and stuff

Actually it will look better.

just, guys I like this, but with no interiors, what will we do?
spend HOURS wasting our time, trying to duplicate maps?

well i will probably be finishing up my WWII themed desert airstrip

No, you'll make builds just like you always have. They can be anything from deathmatches to cities, or even recreating the maps if you really want to. Just because interiors and terrain are being removed doesn't mean you'll have less creativity. If anything, it means the exact opposite.

Shouldn't we all stop arguing and just prepare for the update? Get new builds and all that stuff?

What I'm really worried about is how is this going to affect building styles? For one thing it could eliminate boxes for houses and stuff because the shadows look horrible, or it could make it more common because 'ohhh darkness looks awesome, i'm going to make walls here and not care about how the build looks :D'
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:45:57 PM by ThinkInvisible »

They might, and it might get fixed sooner or later.

They might, and it might get fixed sooner or later.
I certainly hope it does. That is what I really want from this update.