Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 434632 times)

Blockland with shaders and shadows?! Finally my GTX will be useful for this game!

EDIT: I thought it was impossible to make Blockland anymore loveier!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:31:37 PM by HellsSpot »

So removing interiors and terrain is like being Qaddafi?
Great argument!

I think it's funny that some individuals actually prefer shadows over game compatability in general.
Because they are better and address a deficiency in the quality of graphics on Blockland which is a major deterrent for new buyers.

I understand why Kompressor would want the feature, considering the amount of effort he put into making them work appropriately.  But, the bias of one's creation aside, they do not benefit the game as much as terrain.  This is a fact, not an opinion.. or some silly bias I'm here to display out of anger.  The appearance of shadows will not allow for users to do more.  It isn't some magical entity that'll now enlighten users of a better world -- they're literally shadows casted from bricks.  You establish a primitive nature to something if the quality is effected by its appearance.  A fool makes a house of gold; a genius makes one of steel.
Same paragraph is addressed by my last response. Blockland needs better graphics if Badspot hopes to live off of it's income for even 5 more years. Additionally, shadows can make you more immersed in the settings you build, and opens up opportunities for things such as tunnels with lights.

Terrain is such an incredibly large portion of the game, regardless of how "ugly" it looks.  The intent is to allow for environments that can be played in with no end, allowing for users to build differently to adapt to each individual location; why anybody would even consider ridding of this for brick shadows is beyond my level of comprehension.
Literally speaking, everything you just said can be accomplished with bricks, without the, "ugly" part.

I've been with the community since 2004, and have most likely logged more active playtime than the majority of the players here.  This isn't a way of boasting, but stating that I've witnessed the ups and downs of this game.  Sure, I haven't always provided too much input, but now I think it's the time to listen, and listen well.  You will significantly hinder the game if you push this through, shooting the value of it down dramatically.  You will rid of a fanbase that has followed you for years now.  This is something that should be thrown in on the side, something, of which, shouldn't jeopardize the game in any way.
"Oh man, this one person who claims he plays longer than most of the 30,000 user fanbase of blockland says that everyone will leave! Man, I knew I shouldn't have trusted those three different polls, all with a 75% positive reaction to shadows!"

and his idea also allows for building props and terrain bricks for keeping brick count low.

Hey komp I wonder, did getting the shaders cost money or was it a free upgrade kind of thing?

Didn't they do them personally, not from Torque?

I hope this don't effect JVS functionality. 
I doubt it will.

I hope this don't effect JVS functionality. 
Kompressor actually said that JVS door's animations would be lit dynamically.

This seems like a great change. Will this allow for dynamic change in time/skybox?

Hey komp I wonder, did getting the shaders cost money or was it a free upgrade kind of thing?

I wrote them myself, from scratch.

This seems like a great change. Will this allow for dynamic change in time/skybox?

That would be cool!

hey kompressor I wonder if you would make this ideal in this topic below
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=185417.0

hey kompressor I wonder if you would make this ideal in this topic below
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=185417.0

This not a feature request thread.

imagine this with shaders and shadows

Also, Bones4's Titanic would look even more amazing - Something I thought would never be possible.

Wehrmacht's image makes me think about how GlowFX doesn't make light, so that wouldn't really look that amazing in the new system...