Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 425189 times)

Holy stuff, this is amazing, I can't believe how nice it looks, but the specular lighting on the top faces look a little too strong.

On losing terrain+interiors:  Mapping was a nightmare for Blockland.  The tools were too broken and generally stuffty to get anything good done.  It was outdated as hell, then when you finally released a map, no one even bothered to play it.  Maps really just restricted build size.  Terrain based maps sucked ass for building, especially.  At the moment, a majority of servers are running a version of Slate.  While Blockland is the reason I got into mapping, which sparked an interest in game development for me, it just doesn't fit into the game.

Also, do the new shaders mean we will get Anti-Aliasing support without forcing it through our graphics card's settings?

Can we get a clear (Non-DoF) screenshot of the new shaders?

Would it really be that hard to separate the current version from the up coming version? I mean pretty much separateing blockland into 2 games?
Not going to be done as dev for two different engines won't be good for efficiency

Assuming this is an engine update.

BUT I LOVE THE BEDROOM
will there still be a way to make a map like the bedroom
but not out of bricks
cause the colours looks like crap when you make it out of bricks
aeahjsdew[dkasdasd

Another neat effect of full bedroom and kitchen builds is that they might challenge someone to build the rest of the houses, which would be pretty awesome.

Concept:

There are two ways to save bricks: as maps or as creations. Creation saves would work the exact same way that brick-saving works currently, but this is how map brick-saving would work:

You build your terrain in bricks. When you save these bricks, you are giving the option to save them as a map. If you choose that option, the save will show up from the "Start a Server" menu, the way that maps do currently. When you load a map brick save, the bricks have no permissions. This means that anybody can build on them, but nobody can destroy them. After people build on the map bricks, when you go to save, you can save only the creations, and the save will be associated with the brick map, just the way that saves are associated with maps currently.

If this is going to remove terrain, then vehicles have to start colliding with bricks better. (They won't occasionally fly right through them or get stuck inside them)

Concept:

There are two ways to save bricks: as maps or as creations. Creation saves would work the exact same way that brick-saving works currently, but this is how map brick-saving would work:

You build your terrain in bricks. When you save these bricks, you are giving the option to save them as a map. If you choose that option, the save will show up from the "Start a Server" menu, the way that maps do currently. When you load a map brick save, the bricks have no permissions. This means that anybody can build on them, but nobody can destroy them. After people build on the map bricks, when you go to save, you can save only the creations, and the save will be associated with the brick map, just the way that saves are associated with maps currently.
Genius. Support for this.

If this is going to remove terrain, then vehicles have to start colliding with bricks better. (They won't occasionally fly right through them or get stuck inside them)

thats the plan.

Concept:

I want to have love with this idea.

Something that would be cool is being able to pick different skies, lighting conditions, and weather in place of maps.

I want to have love with this idea.
snake map  :cookieMonster:

But in all seriousness it's pretty good. Also consider adding an option to load bricks as public.

Not sure if this was already asked or not.

Is there an estimate on the time of the release of this?

I'm glad to see that people like my idea. Let's hope that kompressor or Badspot sees it before it gets buried under all these replies.

Something that would be cool is being able to pick different skies, lighting conditions, and weather in place of maps.
yea similar to how roblox does it. you can pick skies and lighting first

Concept:

Good idea.

+1

yea similar to how roblox does it. you can pick skies and lighting first
I was thinking like microsoft flight simulator