Poll

Do you agree with the OP?

100% - Yes, It's like the OP read my mind.
75% - Yes, I think most of what I've read holds true.
50% - Meh, Some of it I agree with, some of it I don't.
25% - No, For the most part, I don't really see any of this, but I can agree with a few things.
0% - No, The OP clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

Author Topic: Blockland Today - The Fun Is Missing... Or is it?  (Read 21868 times)

This is exactly why you all think the game sucks. The older members all think that the game needs to be played in certain way.  More of new members missing out on true points of interest.

It's a loving sandbox game. People can play and use things how they want. Sure, 1x1 houses can be annoying and should be discouraged if posted in the gallery, but they work fine if someone needs to throw together a quick built to DM or RP in.  It's still impractical.  To save someone the emotional pain, would it be better to educate them?

The people who are playing the game don't need your tutorials, they are already having fun how they play the game.  I've seen new players come, play and leave, claiming to be wasting their $20.  They deserve their money's worth.

People hosting now are young kids, they're entertained by anything.  The older members want to have fun too.  Whats fun to an older member will be just as fun to a younger member, why can't we all have fun playing the game?
Older members dislike TDMs and Knife DMs because they have played a while and seen too much of them, while younger members are new and see this gamemodes to be fun because they never put up with them for 2 years. Once they play blockland longer, they will see that they get very boring quickly and blockland should not have much of them.

The other majority of them have been vastly nullified since I focus on maps.  I now have to move to vehicles and weapons (weapons I have done for a while).
I would also like to add that most help topics are help on why a mod breaks their Blockland or Server.

You still don't get it. It's not our job to determine how the new players should play. Let them have fun how the like.

It's just like imperialism. The younger members ways of playing may seem "savage" to us, but that doesn't mean they aren't content with playing how they like, and it certainly doesn't mean we need to control how they play.

Hosting Server tuts sounds good. I'm pretty sure not even all the popular hosts know everything to hosting.

It would also help get rid of that "family/city RP" and "free admin plz come" spam.

You still don't get it. It's not our job to determine how the new players should play. Let them have fun how the like.

It's just like imperialism. The younger members ways of playing may seem "savage" to us, but that doesn't mean they aren't content with playing how they like, and it certainly doesn't mean we need to control how they play.
Personally I agree with this; but it only applies to the younger members.

No one ever stated that players HAD to watch the video. It would be an optional thing just to sort of decrease the spam within blockland.

No one ever stated that players HAD to watch the video. It would be an optional thing just to sort of decrease the spam within blockland.
This ^

We aught to organize a group of some kind, (perhaps on steam), dedicated to producing these videos, because for once, I think I've found a project I can get behind.

But if you really aren't happy about it, change it.
As he said, lets make a difference for the better shall we?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:04:55 PM by Rykuta »

You still don't get it. It's not our job to determine how the new players should play. Let them have fun how the like.  Expose them to good ideas.

It's just like imperialism. The younger members ways of playing may seem "savage" to us, but that doesn't mean they aren't content with playing how they like, and it certainly doesn't mean we need to control how they play.  I say they are oblivious, not stupid.

This ^

We aught to organize a group of some kind, (perhaps on steam), dedicated to producing these videos, because for once, I think I've found a project I can get behind.
As he said, lets make a difference for the better shall we?
I sent you a PM.

Older members dislike TDMs and Knife DMs because they have played a while and seen too much of them, while younger members are new and see this gamemodes to be fun because they never put up with them for 2 years. Once they play blockland longer, they will see that they get very boring quickly and blockland should not have much of them.
TDMs are awesome if they're done correctly.  Knife Dms sucked to start out with, they were not fun when they were new, but for some reason it was the one unoriginal idea that everyone latched onto.  TDMs are the most fun things ever, its just that nobody knows how to make a decent one.

I think a big problem is that we heavier-duty builders tend to get pretty frustrated and are just anti-social in general.

The kids/noobs/casual players prefer the gamemodes because they can get something out of the game with a minimum of setup.  Odds are good that a server's going to be populated with people that want to get into a game more than build, and when you've got a little bit of an ego (guilty) about whatever it is you're going to build, it's almost painful to watch a noob beg to help and then start adding glass-walled blocks to your building.

Long story short, it's just as much us grouchy old fogeys as it is the kids trolling.

I would like to join.

Tuevon on Steam.

I think all the people that are really dedicated to this happening are:
Me, SWAT, Phydeoux, and Rykuta. We should all team up and make a series of some sort.

I'd play if people came to my server. I spent a few days making a rooftop TDM and nobody came. The top server was some stuffty knife TDM.

;_;

The group will need a clever but descriptive name.
My first thought was to make it something like this: "B.R.I.C.K Builders Really Interesting..." ect
Then I thought of something more formal like the...
Bureau of Blockland Integration - Since our goal is to aid players in their multiplayer experience, integration seemed like a good word to use, and the name sounds rather formal. The word also might be misinterpreted however, so I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

At any rate, I'll let this idea sit for the night. hopefully it'll collect more support by tomarrow, as I am tired, and need my beauty sleep. Just PM me a steam name, and I'll send you a group invite once I get it set up.
In the mean time, my steam can be easily located by searching my name.