Poll

Do you agree with the OP?

100% - Yes, It's like the OP read my mind.
75% - Yes, I think most of what I've read holds true.
50% - Meh, Some of it I agree with, some of it I don't.
25% - No, For the most part, I don't really see any of this, but I can agree with a few things.
0% - No, The OP clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

Author Topic: Blockland Today - The Fun Is Missing... Or is it?  (Read 22198 times)

Back, not long ago :/, when i started i was in heaven! Blowing zombies brains out! Working together with trustful teamates! But only in a matter of years did this wonderful experience turn into a digital hell! No zombie servers! No good and clever players! stuffty family rp's! AWFUL city rp's! And weird religious servers!

Once i was joining a left 4 dead server after waiting a while, after i got there it was turned into a religious server with people talking about god and all that riff-raff!

These things are what make ME a sad :panda:

Not really. We are just old members trying to get some blockheads to change from their ways. Not forcing it upon, but with a optional helping hand.

We need a larger community, well actually we need a bigger part of the community being the ones who create Add-Ons. Look at minecraft, it took off because of the anount of mods and extensions that came out with it, imagine Blockland having all of those mods.

I think Programming should be replaced with computer class in schools (who the hell doesnt know how to use a computer nowdays) or at least it should be an elective in Middle School, if you think about it coding is going to be very important in he future for us in one thing, website building. (to show off your talent and creations)

If you read this entire topic it is about making the blockland community a better place, not getting more people to train to become better.

TL;DR.

Edit: I was just too lazy to read :/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:42:55 PM by dargereldren »

TL;DR.
Enjoy your ban.

I have plenty of building ideas, one I have brewing right now, but I don't have the skill, time, or patience to create them. It's quite maddening.

Enjoy your ban.

I have plenty of building ideas, one I have brewing right now, but I don't have the skill, time, or patience to create them. It's quite maddening.
I feel your pain bro.

/hug

What does that even mean?
Too long; didn't read.

Basically, "I don't want to spend my precious time reading what you've written, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't make an ass of myself before leaving"

I agree without a doubt.
I've played Blockland a while; since whenever 6k was a 'noob ID'. I ended up pestering my parents to get me the game for my birthday, based purely on the fact that I loved playing with 150 bricks on Slope. Multiplayer wasn't really that much of an appeal to me, since I liked building what I now see as spam, named small houses made of mismatched bricks which just about passed off as acceptable.

I then found that multiplayer WAS fun. The OP highlighted fort wars as '20 minutes travel time, 5 seconds fight'. It wasn't like that before. I used to love building a fort, simply to get shot at from random directions and pretty have no moving around in order to get into a massive battle. Now I find that genre somewhat less appealing, because the weapons are far better and therefore often more powerful, the limited community 4 years ago meant that everybody was nice to a lot of other people, and there is no server you can go on these days where there isn't an idiot with power.

That aside, I'm not sure what to blame for the fact that I barely play this game any more on a regular basis. The 'community' isn't big, yet seems to find a way to annoy every single player who wants a bit of sane discussion or similar. 36k IDs or whatever we're up to now is hardly a large quantity of people, yet there are much better prospects of finding a decent gaming community on a forum of millions where there are EVEN MORE people acting like idiots.

I'm hopeful for the future though. A lot of servers rely on either mods or terrain/interior maps, and they will soon vanish completely, leaving the door wide open for new ideas using bricks. That way at least some of the good builds might be reused, and for any terrible work on a 'terrain' we can blame the server host for either making or using it or both.

Meanwhile, I have better things to do than play around in servers alongside several thousand people who feel like making everyone else miserable is fun pasttime. I know there's great players within the rabble that has developed, and it's a shame such a large chunk is either gone or overwhelmed by a tide of ignorance.

We need a larger community, well actually we need a bigger part of the community being the ones who create Add-Ons. Look at minecraft, it took off because of the anount of mods and extensions that came out with it, imagine Blockland having all of those mods.
Minecraft only gained a larger community because by the time it hit retail it had a playerbase of more than a thousand who could advertise, and even when you had to pay it was incredibly cheap. It now has 5 million registered purchases of the game - that's insane.

That's not true. You know as well as anyone how heavily this game relies on the community to operate. I mean, this whole discussion is mostly about the multiplayer aspect of the game. You can't blame someone for disliking the excess amount of poor quality servers these days.

no, you cant blame others for that.

back when we had only 10 servers there was only about 1 good one to 9 stuffty ones.
the ratio is no different today. maybe you just are impatient and give up looking to quickly

no, you cant blame others for that.

back when we had only 10 servers there was only about 1 good one to 9 stuffty ones.
the ratio is no different today. maybe you just are impatient and give up looking to quickly

I'm guilty for this. I generally assume that most of the servers are going to be stuff, so if I see something that looks bad in the title, I usually don't join.

If I ever decide to build something, I might host again, if my ports are correctly forwarded. I usually hosted good servers back then and had a blast doing so.

I don't know if anyone said this but his anyone tried making a (t)DM with default addons, except TDM/Slayer itself?