Author Topic: Gabe Newell calls Windows 8 a "Catastrophe".  (Read 7155 times)

Link.
What are your opinions on Windows 8?
Personally, I think that having an Xbox 360 style menu is a terrible Idea.

Link.
What are your opinions on Windows 8?
Personally, I think that having an Xbox 360 style menu is a terrible Idea.
Everyone thinks it's a terrible idea.

Did it say they are working on a computer

Everyone thinks it's a terrible idea.
It is a terrible idea :c.

Windoes operates on a stuff-good-stuff-good development pattern.

Windows 8 is on the stuff part of it.

Windows 8 belongs on a phone.

I tried out the release preview and I wasn't really convinced I'd like it.

Windows 8 is good and bad.  It's pretty easy and nice once you're used to it, but a lot of features are hidden for some reason, maybe because of tablets having a clear start button and all.  Also, it feels like two operating systems in one.  The transition from Metro (or whatever they end up calling it) to standard desktop is really jarring, as the two have almost nothing in common.  On the other hand, it runs a lot faster and boot times are great.  

I really want to know if Valve can make Linux gaming a reality this time around.  I recently started dual booting with Ubuntu, and to be honest, it's way better than Windows.  

This just shows he is an idiot. It is super easy to have a normal desktop, consumes less system resources, and also has more features than Windows 7. It is only an upgrade.

This just shows he is an idiot. It is super easy to have a normal desktop, consumes less system resources, and also has more features than Windows 7. It is only an upgrade.
It also shows that Microsoft wants complete control over what can be put on Windows.  The new Metro (Or whatever they will call it, because a few months from release is the best time to rename your biggest feature!) apps can only be downloaded through the Store app and no other apps can sell them.  Gabe Newell knows his stuff when it comes to user creation (Many of Valve's employees come from mod teams) and Windows (Prior to starting Valve, Gabe Newell worked on Windows).

It also shows that Microsoft wants complete control over what can be put on Windows.  The new Metro (Or whatever they will call it, because a few months from release is the best time to rename your biggest feature!) apps can only be downloaded through the Store app and no other apps can sell them.  Gabe Newell knows his stuff when it comes to user creation (Many of Valve's employees come from mod teams) and Windows (Prior to starting Valve, Gabe Newell worked on Windows).

Isn't this close to what Apple does?