Poll

What is your favorite type of terraining?

Basic Cubescaping
60 (27.4%)
Unaligned Cubescaping
27 (12.3%)
Normal Brickscaping
39 (17.8%)
Rampscaping
12 (5.5%)
Platescaping
17 (7.8%)
Mix
64 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 219

Author Topic: ██ Terraining - How-To Guide ██ Updated 3/20/13 - Rampscaping  (Read 36411 times)

i have another set ide like to share, its this little forest collab; 879 bricks, 64x64 baseplate, same setup as before

any ideas/oppinion?
Excellent work! I'd like to see you and Conan do some sort of collab. You could build amazing terrain together!

Excellent work! I'd like to see you and Conan do some sort of collab. You could build amazing terrain together!
Eh, about that.... I kinda quit playing and only stay here as a theoretical builder

i'm more for the overall terrain design rather than the actual construction and execution.

Eh, about that.... I kinda quit playing and only stay here as a theoretical builder

i'm more for the overall terrain design rather than the actual construction and execution.
I know you quit playing. But as often as you lurk around the forums, you must surely have time to build a little every once in a while. :P

I know you quit playing. But as often as you lurk around the forums, you must surely have time to build a little every once in a while. :P
I do have time, but I vowed not to come back :c

i'm afraid if I do i'll end up going back on my word, and considering me its not too unlikely.

Terrain guru #1

I do have time, but I vowed not to come back :c

i'm afraid if I do i'll end up going back on my word, and considering me its not too unlikely.

thats cute. id rather you come back then quit and lurk like a noob

This guide has actually helped me out a lot with a project im working on

I want to go build a landscape now.
This needs to be stickied - But for now, I'll just bookmark it.

I might be adding more to it in the next month or two, specifically on designing terrain and not just building it, as some have issues with this. For those who need immediate advice: don't get discouraged when something looks bad at first. Terrain is never a small-scale construction. Take your time and don't be afraid to create things that counter what I teach here in the guide. For every generalization for terrain there is at least one counter example.

Look forward to long term updates.

I read it again and now I felt like showing off some of my different terrains. Some of them you lacked I think.

These two are hanging waterfalls I guess? Both your waterfalls had a smoothing end and beginning which I didn't fully understand. Is this acceptable waterfalls? The one to the right is Ephi's.
Excessive plate terrain. Not just flat.Semi-aligned cube cave. Floor and roof begins with a brick for more smoothness.
Grass and rocks in the same style. Brick terrain.Non-aligned cubescaping. No filler bricks used.

About time for its bump.

I read it again and now I felt like showing off some of my different terrains. Some of them you lacked I think.

These two are hanging waterfalls I guess? Both your waterfalls had a smoothing end and beginning which I didn't fully understand. Is this acceptable waterfalls? The one to the right is Ephi's.
Excessive plate terrain. Not just flat.Semi-aligned cube cave. Floor and roof begins with a brick for more smoothness.
Grass and rocks in the same style. Brick terrain.Non-aligned cubescaping. No filler bricks used.

All are perfectly fine; I sloped out the waterfalls I put as examples since they hit rocks before entering the water.

The cave looks a bit odd; rather thin for one. Then again, that's how caves are, odd. Would be nice if there was a little more detail on both the walls and the ground sloping layer.

The brickscaping and platescaping are good but nothing remarkable about it as far as I can tell.

The unaligned cubescaping cliff looks remarkably detailed even for the lack of filler cubes. Are those 4x4's or 8x8 cubes?

Those are actually 16x cubes. ;)

And I really don't find an urge for filler cubes.

Add a way to fix these [][][][]
                                       [][]
The [] is a 4x4 cube.
I run into them alot.