██ Terraining - How-To Guide ██ Updated 3/20/13 - Rampscaping

Poll

What is your favorite type of terraining?

Basic Cubescaping
60 (27.4%)
Unaligned Cubescaping
27 (12.3%)
Normal Brickscaping
39 (17.8%)
Rampscaping
12 (5.5%)
Platescaping
17 (7.8%)
Mix
64 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 219

Author Topic: ██ Terraining - How-To Guide ██ Updated 3/20/13 - Rampscaping  (Read 36406 times)

they make terraining more fun c: and it allows for a little more detail. i'm on your server right now, if anything would make it more fun is those bricks. it makes terrain pretty :D
Sure, I'll add the recommended bricks.

I doubt that this will be stickied. but i'm sure a lot would appreciate it, including me :D

Either way, thanks to everyone who keep this topic alive. I'm still waiting/hoping for contributors, if anyone was wondering.

i mainly want to bump this... but i've been working on a build thats pretty much all brickscaped. i'll probably post it on its own topic in the gallery when its done, but this topic was really useful for it :D

I'll start doing weekly bumps since I'm active on the forums.

It's kinda sad nobody bothers to post here; this is also a question-answer area for people who want help.

how is this for landscaping? it took an entire hour and a half for this sucker
the build is on a 64x64; 963 bricks, takes capabilities of bricks, ramps, rounds, and plant bricks to the extreme by mashing them all together.
pretty pictures

very well done, though coloration is a little difficult to tell except for one picture.

only comment is that the "river" or lake section is a little small for such a deep river. And the mini "islands" or surface-breaking sandbars are a little close to shore, and weirdly built, like a sharp hill underwater (which is rather unlikely)

to keep those "islands" i'd advise varying the riverbed height by keeping it relatively shallow but dipping slightly as it goes farther out, and rise it back up as it approaches the sandbar, then drop it downwards past the sandbar. Or in other words, raising the height of the riverbed up until the sandbar.

Example Picture:

Note how its relatively shallow, then past the sandbar out to sea, it goes deeper?

I should have included this idea in the river section, before I quit...

ty, that sounds good, ill get right on top of that starting tomorrow, I have this little neat trick for shallowing w/ crest ramps, and would like an oppinion on that as well pls

Sure.

I also forgot to give you a score; I'll stick with 48/50.

On second examination it reminds me a lot like Lego sets.

i have another set ide like to share, its this little forest collab; 879 bricks, 64x64 baseplate, same setup as before

any ideas/oppinion?

47/50.

Its a nice set overall, but there's two things that nag me a lot.

first is the trees, which are nice but sparsely leaved so it doesn't look convincing. Especially the background center tree; the top left and lower center leaf bunch is just too thin and limited; optimally it should palm out more and have a little more thickness and shape. The foreground trees look fine, though.

The second thing is the path around the foreground right tree; it thins out too much (try to keep paths 4-5 studs wide, and 3 studs only for limited sections). adding another outer layer of 2x wide plates should fix the problem. A trick to see if its a "good" path is to pretend (or actually build) both sides of the path is walled with 5x height bricks, and check if you can walk through it. Don't take it as pathbuilding law though; some sacrifices should be made for aesthetics if necessary.

I really like the style here, though 879 bricks seems steep (same with the coast section, though I forgot to mention it). You might want to try less intensive methods of terraining (or work on brick conservation) since although these are great for small, elegant builds, they hardly do well for large-scale stuff and aren't a viable method to create terrain to structure buildings on.

As for positive feedback, your control of platescaping sloping is excellent; best I've seen.

Bump

Not exactly a week, but close enough.