Author Topic: Why curing cancer is a bad idea  (Read 20884 times)

No it's not.
Cancer doesn't work like that.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070218194439.htm
"When cells become cancerous, they also become 100 times more likely to genetically mutate than regular cells, researchers have found. The findings may explain why cells in a tumor have so many genetic mutations, but could also be bad news for cancer treatments that target a particular gene controlling cancer malignancy."

As much as I disagree that curing cancer is a bad idea...

Hai Muzmuz, luff yew. <3
<3

We all know the "thinning out the herd" method would work miracles for humanity, but there's always the people that have to pull the morality card :(

As much as I disagree that curing cancer is a bad idea...

Hai Muzmuz, luff yew. <3

Holy stuff

jinx u owe me a soda

I got you four... hopefully you wont die from CANCER

i have aids so its ok

We all know the "thinning out the herd" method would work miracles for humanity, but there's always the people that have to pull the morality card :(

cancer is doing ~1% of deaths a year

it would do literally nothing

Mmm... NukaCola

"When cells become cancerous, they also become 100 times more likely to genetically mutate than regular cells, researchers have found. The findings may explain why cells in a tumor have so many genetic mutations, but could also be bad news for cancer treatments that target a particular gene controlling cancer malignancy."
I think Blaman was reading your post as if you meant that they mutate in a similar way to bacteria.

Cancer cells can mutate, but they don't spread from one person to another.
And since the mutations are entirely random, the mutation in one cancer is not likely to be there in another cancer.
So, although, as stated in that article, some cancers may be resistant to certain chaemotherapies, not all cancers would be from then on.
It would just simply make it even more harder to treat cancer, because there's an even bigger chance of variation in the situation in one individual case.

It wouldn't be in the same way that say, a form of Tuberculosis is killed with one drug, but has a mutation making it immune, and then all TB is immune. This only happens because the mutated and immune TB is capable of spreading.
Cancer can't do that.

cancer is doing ~1% of deaths a year

it would do literally nothing

No, it would do something, just not much.
Don't misuse "literally"

Many things mutate.  Cancerous cells are one of them.  

Yes, cancerous cells mutate. No, they do not mutate to adapt.
They are mutations of normal cells, they mutate so much because they split so rapidly, forming the cancerous tumor. There is no adaptation, mutations are just a side effect of the cancer.
Cancer is effectively broken cells that don't die and don't stop reproducing. It's not a virus that you can kill only to have it adapt and come back stronger.

I see where you both went wrong over my statement though.

No, it would do something, just not much.
Don't misuse "literally"

Or he will forget you up...

I think Blaman was reading your post as if you meant that they mutate in a similar way to bacteria.

Cancer cells can mutate, but they don't spread from one person to another.
And since the mutations are entirely random, the mutation in one cancer is not likely to be there in another cancer.
So, although, as stated in that article, some cancers may be resistant to certain chaemotherapies, not all cancers would be from then on.
It would just simply make it even more harder to treat cancer, because there's an even bigger chance of variation in the situation in one individual case.

It wouldn't be in the same way that say, a form of Tuberculosis is killed with one drug, but has a mutation making it immune, and then all TB is immune. This only happens because the mutated and immune TB is capable of spreading.
Cancer can't do that.

There are also many types of cancer.  That could be a factor in cancer being 100% cured.