Author Topic: Steam For Linux Has Been Released!  (Read 2202 times)

I would switch over to Linux Mint as my main OS if I could get Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas to work on it, now that Steam is being ported over.

Well, because I am a dumbass, I managed to completely break my Windows 7 install, as well as corrupt the entire partition. So on top of losing EVERYTHING on my computer, I am forced to use Linux Mint for now.

le sigh

hey yeah i did that

except i recovered most of my data

never broke windows before with linux
broke linux multiple times, but that's because ubuntu is easy to break

Turns out there's a bunch of packages and repos available here for distros other than Ubuntu
but
the downloading window frightens me

Steam for Linux Open Beta has been released
FTFY

I tried for a few hours to get it to install. No matter what I did, MTA couldn't find San Andreas' directory.
I installed mine under .wine/drive_c/Program Files/Rockstar Games/Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
if you have it elsewhere you could create a symlink

Well isn't this underwhelming.  I thought L4D2 was ported over, but so far all I have that is available on Linux is TF2.  And when I installed it, it wouldn't run.

gg valve

Well, because I am a dumbass, I managed to completely break my Windows 7 install, as well as corrupt the entire partition. So on top of losing EVERYTHING on my computer, I am forced to use Linux Mint for now.

le sigh
Welcome to the dark side.

le sigh
How did you manage that!

le sigh
You managed to mess up an install that is almost completely automated.  I am genuinely curious how you did that.

I didn't mess it up installing, I messed it up deleting. I had installed Linux fine, but I was having problems installing Nvidia drivers, and it made Linux not want to work correctly (some x server bullstuff, could only use Linux from the terminal). After like an hour of loving around trying to fix it, I decided to just remove Linux and reinstall it fresh.

This is where the problem came from. I had a dual boot with Linux and Windows 7 using Grub, but rather than uninstall Linux correctly, I foolishly did it by erasing the Linux partition from within Windows, not realizing it would make Windows unbootable.

So to remedy this, I booted into the Linux Mint live CD, and tried restoring MBR from there. To do this, I tried installing Syslinux. I had to install it from the Linux terminal, and I made the mistake of trying to install it to /dev/sda2/ (my Windows 7 partition) instead of /dev/sda/ (the whole hard drive). This overwrote some critical component of my Windows install, rather than rewrite the boot files.

I thought this had wrecked my Windows install, because that partition wasn't even visible inside Linux. So I reinstalled Linux proper, with the idea that I would have to use it as my main OS for the time being, and that my Windows 7 partition was completely ruined and all my data lost.

I used Linux for a few hours, trying to get used to it. On a whim, I decided to try making a Windows recovery disk, to see if maybe I could fix Windows, but not expecting to. So I burned the disc, booted it, used bootec /fixmbr, blah blah blah. Long story short, I'm back on my fixed Windows 7, and I completely got rid of Linux mint, except correctly this time.

The end.

some x server bullstuff, could only use Linux from the terminal
Marcem and I had the same issue, try updating kernel-headers or linux-headers next time you decide to try and it should work.

Marcem and I had the same issue, try updating kernel-headers or linux-headers next time you decide to try and it should work.

Too late. ;P

Long story short, I'm back on my fixed Windows 7, and I completely got rid of Linux

Well isn't this underwhelming.  I thought L4D2 was ported over, but so far all I have that is available on Linux is TF2.  And when I installed it, it wouldn't run.

gg valve
mm totes Valve's fault for your stuff computer and or driver not running a game that everyone else is running fine, huh. It's an open beta, they're not going to have all Source games available until the official launch (all private beta testers got a free copy of Portal too).

LINUX EARPHONES - 50 EARBUDS