Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310680 times)

Ok, seriously, forget me.

In preparation to actually order this stuff I spend too much time online reading reviews on it, and I basically get buyers remorse before even buying the god damn thing. I was going to go for the EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked with ACX 2.0 cooling, but as its out of stock pretty much everywhere I've been reading stuff about it having coil whine and not cooling as-well as Asus or Gigabyte brands while still producing more sound.

Has anyone here actually bought a 970 yet?

you should consider the kraken g10 + a cpu cooler option. that solves all them issues plus is better then any possible fan cooling anyways.
plus its not a full on huge custom water loop, that bullstuff that shouldnt be done anymore.

the 900 cards already leave so so much headroom for easy overclocking as is with the minimal power usage. might as well double that ability with an AIO.  XD

i need to vent. this seems like a good place

DO NOT BUY FROM ASUS

I bought a laptop from them last June. Since then, it has thrice broken down, once for a bad hard drive, twice for the monitor dying (TWICE!) Once it died literally the day after I had gotten it back in the mail. These were not caused by dropping or damaging my laptop; I took very good care of it.

After those 3 they sent me a replacement. Today I learned it's a lower resolution than the one I originally bought. (1366*768 vs 1920*1080) It's loving bullstuff. Their customer service was understanding, but I'm tired of this loving garbage build quality and sending away my laptop for weeks and weeks.  I just want a stable reliable laptop and I've been without my laptop for probably 3 months time total.

You must have stuff luck. When i had my laptop, It was asus, and I loved it. The only issues i had with it was the charging port, but other than that it worked great for over a year.

you should consider the kraken g10 + a cpu cooler option. that solves all them issues plus is better then any possible fan cooling anyways.
plus its not a full on huge custom water loop, that bullstuff that shouldnt be done anymore.

the 900 cards already leave so so much headroom for easy overclocking as is with the minimal power usage. might as well double that ability with an AIO.  XD
Liquid cooling scares the stuff out of me. I'll take a look though, thank you. :)

according to the site, g10 isnt compatible with the new 900 cards. but that may because the site hasnt updated for it.
yah dont try it yet anyways XD

according to the site, g10 isnt compatible with the new 900 cards. but that may because the site hasnt updated for it.
yah dont try it yet anyways XD
Quote from: http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/138-kraken-g10-gpu-bracket.html
Nvidia : GTX 980, 970

Although it does say there could be issues with non-reference boards, so I guess I'd have to check on that.

I can't tell yet if liquid cooling the GPU would be as cost efficient as I'm looking for. Perhaps I'll settle on a card at some point and then go back and buy liquid cooling somewhere down the road. Don't know yet.

what types of 970 did you use in the checker. i cant find one that works.

i wanted the evga 970 ftw's but im not sure what ones that is lol XD

what types of 970 did you use in the checker. i cant find one that works.

i wanted the evga 970 ftw's but im not sure what ones that is lol XD
Oh, didn't run the checker. I was just pointing out that the 970 itself was compatible apparently.

I did try the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0, and it says not compatible. Now that could be due to it truly not being compatible or simply being too new. :/

Either way, I'm eyeing this card:
http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics_Cards/STRIXGTX970DC2OC4GD5/overview/

evga reddit page there is a discussion going on about it.
apparently people are confirming that both 900s will work on the g10

evga reddit page there is a discussion going on about it.
apparently people are confirming that both 900s will work on the g10
Cool, then that puts it back on the block for me.

Depending on how things go, I'd consider building what I've already got listed then revisiting the G10 and Kraken x41 in the future. Just a bit above my price range at the moment.

I know the S340 case from NZXT doesn't have the room for a top radiator for cpu cooling though, so that's making me rethink that case for the long run.

you dont need the long rad for cpu really. its better yeah but kinda unnecessary so long as whole case is vented well.
get a 140 square.

My old DELL Latitude D610 laptop overheats the HDD constantly, but I have the same model that doesn't.
I use it as a server computer, and end up having to put a CPU cooler ontop of it and a fan blowing directly at it.

hey guys, i'm thinking about upgrading some of the hardware on my personal build because my computer runs slow as stuff now.
specs:

windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
4gb ram
amd phenom II x4 960t processor 4 cores at ~3.0ghz
amd radeon hd 6770
550gb hdd

im not sure what else to list so please don't flame me, just let me know what else i should put and where i can find it. i'm not as tech savvy as most of the forum.

i need to vent. this seems like a good place

DO NOT BUY FROM ASUS

I bought a laptop from them last June. Since then, it has thrice broken down, once for a bad hard drive, twice for the monitor dying (TWICE!) Once it died literally the day after I had gotten it back in the mail. These were not caused by dropping or damaging my laptop; I took very good care of it.

After those 3 they sent me a replacement. Today I learned it's a lower resolution than the one I originally bought. (1366*768 vs 1920*1080) It's loving bullstuff. Their customer service was understanding, but I'm tired of this loving garbage build quality and sending away my laptop for weeks and weeks.  I just want a stable reliable laptop and I've been without my laptop for probably 3 months time total.
maybe its just your luck. asus makes the best cooling system for laptops

You must have stuff luck. When i had my laptop, It was asus, and I loved it. The only issues i had with it was the charging port,
holy stuff are you me
i've had my asus laptop for a year and the only difficulty i had was that the charging port didnt work.

hey guys, i'm thinking about upgrading some of the hardware on my personal build because my computer runs slow as stuff now.
specs:

windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
4gb ram
amd phenom II x4 960t processor 4 cores at ~3.0ghz
amd radeon hd 6770
550gb hdd

im not sure what else to list so please don't flame me, just let me know what else i should put and where i can find it. i'm not as tech savvy as most of the forum.
I'm not an expert myself, but depending on your budget you're probably looking at just rebuilding.