Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1309452 times)

if you want, i can make a careful step-by-step list of instructions which you can refer to while you are building

i am now coming up with a list of parts for your system build
the bitfenix build is a tad bit outdated
ok so a few questions before i start devising a build

are you planning to overclock? Yes
is sound an issue? are you ok with a bit of a louder system? Yeah, I don't like a loud system. I prefer a quiet system.
what operating system do you want with the build, windows 7 or 8? windows 7 is the original that everybody loves, but windows 8 is cheaper, looks better and is way faster. Doesn't really matter but I would choose Windows 8.
im guessing you already have a good monitor, but if you don't, tell me and ill include a good one in the build
Nope, I don't have a monitor.
and very importantly - what case do you want? that mini-itx bitfenix or something else?
This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139005
here is a list of best rated cases on newegg, you might try browsing that -
http://www.newegg.com/Computer-Cases/SubCategory/ID-7?Order=RATING

ok lets try this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1F7dv

the i7 will get you very good performance

with the evo 212 you can overclock your i7 to above 4ghz, with barely any sound

the gigabyte z87x-ud4h is a rock solid motherboard. in fact, i have it too!

8gb of ddr3-1886 will handle any games

the caviar black hard drive has 2tb which is enough for anybody, and it is a top-of-the-line hard drive

the 780's performance is godly
if you even ask if it will play blockland i will slap you across the face
yes it will play blockland on max shaders, probably at 500 FPS

lovey-ass case you wanted

the PSU is silent and puts out 850w, which is enough to power 1 more video card in the future, if you want to SLI another 780 for double the video performance

windows 8, self explanatory

some standard asus 1920x1080 monitor, nothing spectacular

the 780s price vs power dosnt really beat the 770 imo.

like yeah its better, but by ratio its not lol

In a little bit all my parts will be in excluding the HDD, I plan on going ahead nad putting it all together today and installing the HDD tomorrow.
Any tips on putting it together? I watched the Newegg video on PC building (part 2) already.

In a little bit all my parts will be in excluding the HDD, I plan on going ahead nad putting it all together today and installing the HDD tomorrow.
Any tips on putting it together? I watched the Newegg video on PC building (part 2) already.

If you have the same CPU cooler as me, (I have the FX-4130), then you will need to use a lot  of pressure to attach it to the motherboard. It might feel like something's going to break, but it shouldn't. Also, before you put in everything, make sure you have room to put in the HDD after everything else was in. I have a mATX case, so I had to remove my mobo (I got my HDD last as well) before I could install my HDD. Might just be my case though...

Alright, I'll be sure to check for HDD space while installing stuff.

Also I heard that if you close the case before first boot it isn't going to boot, whats that all about?

the 780s price vs power dosnt really beat the 770 imo.

like yeah its better, but by ratio its not lol
He's right. If you're looking for more power than a 770, the first thing you should consider is a 7970. The 780 doesn't even come close in terms of value. You could get two 770's for $500 total and it would blow the 780 ($650) out of the water [citation needed]

Alright, I'll be sure to check for HDD space while installing stuff.

Also I heard that if you close the case before first boot it isn't going to boot, whats that all about?
Idk, that sounds like a load of bullcrap... I could be wrong. Mine didn't start up on the first try, but my mobo manual got the front panel diagram wrong. :/

Also, double (and maybe triple) check that your motherboard is lined up with your IO shield properly. When I was building mine, one of the little pieces of the IO shield got inside one of my USB ports, rendering it unusable. Turned out fine though, seeing as I had to remove the mobo anyway to put in my HDD. It will also take you longer than to build than in those 5 minute videos on how to build a computer. It looked so simple, I thought I could do it 1/2 to 1 hour, took me about 2 hours, not including installing the HDD, GPU, or doing any cabling management.

Wow
Luckily I'm willing to spend time on this.

He's right. If you're looking for more power than a 770, the first thing you should consider is a 7970. The 780 doesn't even come close in terms of value. You could get two 770's for $500 total and it would blow the 780 ($650) out of the water [citation needed]
the 770 is better than 680
and a 680 is better than 7970
unless by better you mean price to performance ratio, you can get the 7970 really cheaply nowadays
and 2 770's for 500??? Lol each one costs 400, wtf are you looking at

are you loving serious???? this is the stupidest thing I have heard from you

hey guys, current setup below

(gpu has since been upgraded to a gtx 670)

what is worth keeping and what should i upgrade? budget around 1300~1400

are you loving serious???? this is the stupidest thing I have heard from you
I heard it from a newegg video, its not what I thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
Somewhere towards the end, around the late 30 minute mark. You see him about to boot up the PC and he'll say it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:09:32 PM by Alyx Vance »

I heard it from a newegg video, its not what I thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
Somewhere towards the end, around the late 30 minute mark. You see him about to boot up the PC and he'll say it.
Lol

Lol
Yea
I had a feeling it was complete bull.

When I start putting the PC together is there any part order I should go in with installing the parts?