Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1286493 times)

well to back up a bit, is there anything there that would be bottlenecking the PC? i'm not really getting the performance i thought i would be

i'm basically willing to just chuck money at whatever you guys think should be upgraded
i mean the only thing that makes sense upgrading in this case is just the cpu and video card
the cpu shouldn't really bottleneck, but with that socket you could always upgrade to a i7-3770k ivy bridge for about 300
as for the gpu, i guess you could go with the 770 or 780 for better performance
770 is pretty much an overclocked 680 for around 400 - 450 bucks
the 780 is around 650 - 700 bucks

might do that then

what do you guys recommend as far as screens go? nothing too big. think i've got a 21 wide benq (hate it) and some other little one but they both need an upgrade

might do that then

what do you guys recommend as far as screens go? nothing too big. think i've got a 21 wide benq (hate it) and some other little one but they both need an upgrade
If you're going to update your gpu, I would strongly suggest waiting until the new radeon cards drop. Since your update isn't really that urgent, It's a good idea because worst case, you spend less money on an existing gpu, and best case you get a brand new uberpowered gpu
I use two acer 21.5" (diagonal) screens, @$110 each, love them
Also, make sure you're selling your old components, otherwise you're wasting a stuffton of your money

will do, thanks for the tips

just on the monitors, how much does response time actually come into play?

response time is more about color quality then "speed"
 of anything.

the speed of turning a pixel on and off. the light needed to be added or removed.
its mostly about how good the colors will look using the light.

only matters if you remove the blur effect from movement on games to. hate that setting lol

How is it looking so far? I installed the PSU so I could have that done for when I get the other parts which show up tomorrow.

how about you stop blogging about your computer and just post about it when you're done
literally every post on here is by you and its regarding your computer

how about you stop blogging about your computer and just post about it when you're done
literally every post on here is by you and its regarding your computer
This. You put two parts together, It takes more skill to put a psu in wrong than it is to do it correctly

watch out guys!!!!!!!!!
I just plugged in my Ac 97 cable!!!!!!!!!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($118.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard:  Asus P8H77-I Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard  ($102.24 @ Amazon)
Memory:  Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.02 @ Amazon)
Video Card:  Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card  ($110.38 @ Newegg)
Case:  BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply  ($40.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Molex Adapter ($3.95)
Total: $499.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-18 20:24 EDT-0400)

Best thing to upgrade on this? I'm thinking about getting a better GPU (would a 7870 be a worthwhile upgrade or should I go bigger?) but that would probably mean a new CPU so I don't bottleneck it. I'm also considering getting a SSD, and possibly Windows 8.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:28:40 PM by Flush535 »

get a fx-4300 or 6300 for that money, which are way better than that dual core i3

6300 is so much better

Oh, oops. This is already built, I've had it for about a year. Probably should have said that. I have ~$400 to spend.

6300 is so much better

If you've got a use for those cores, yes

Oh, oops. This is already built, I've had it for about a year. Probably should have said that. I have ~$400 to spend.
If you're upgrading from a 7770 I would not say a 7870 is worthwhile enough. Just wait until the new R cards drop in october, like I told dicey @above

OK, so I have a home server system with a motherboard that has two PCI-E slots an x1 and an x16 (Graphics slot).

What I want to do is move away from my system being on a single drive so that if that drive fails I can then just pop in a new one and carry on as normal.

I bought this http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=114 and I may possibly want to but this http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=149 in the near future.  What I want to do is have 2 or 3 raid 1 arrays or 1 raid 10 array that I can add disks to later I do NOT want raid 0 as this is defeating the objective and placing me at greater risk of my system going down.

So any 4/8 port pcie raid controller suggestions?