Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1308863 times)

Yea
I had a feeling it was complete bull.

When I start putting the PC together is there any part order I should go in with installing the parts?
not really, but motherboard first of course

not really, but motherboard first of course
Alright, thanks.
If I need any help I'll report back to here.

Alright, thanks.
If I need any help I'll report back to here.
dont forget to screw in the motherboard standoffs before installing the mobo
the back of the motherboard should never touch the case

dont forget to screw in the motherboard standoffs before installing the mobo
the back of the motherboard should never touch the case
Understood, I'm taking that it'd fry it if anything metal touches it.

Understood, I'm taking that it'd fry it if anything metal touches it.
only if you power it up/the item touching is statically charged, for example a carpet

only if you power it up/the item touching is statically charged, for example a carpet
Ah, I see.
My work space is around quite a few wires and a surge protector, is that okay?

Ah, I see.
My work space is around quite a few wires and a surge protector, is that okay?
yeah it should be ok
just discharge yourself by grounding aka just touch the floor
may seem like stupid stuff but you can ruin your mobo with static discharge from your fingers

yeah it should be ok
just discharge yourself by grounding aka just touch the floor
may seem like stupid stuff but you can ruin your mobo with static discharge from your fingers
I have a carpet as well, forgot to mention that. I have a pair of rubber soled shoes, should I have those on so I don't touch the carpet?

I have a carpet as well, forgot to mention that. I have a pair of rubber soled shoes, should I have those on so I don't touch the carpet?
as long as you ground yourself and dont let any part touch the carpet, you should be fine
as soon as I get home ill write a step by step list of instructions for assembling a computer
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:09:26 PM by Titanium Man »

or just use neweggs?
I don't know about that, they are the ones who told the whole "if your side panel is on it won't work" and in the video the guy messed up with the simplest of things.

My case came in but I'm not getting any other parts till tomorrow, should I wait then to install my PSU or get it in now?

the 770 is better than 680
and a 680 is better than 7970
unless by better you mean price to performance ratio, you can get the 7970 really cheaply nowadays
Of course I meant price to performance, that's what the word "value" means
Sorry about the pricing confusion, I thought I was talking about the 760 instead of the 770 for the last sentence there. I actually don't know if two 760's could beat a 780, it would be interesting to find out but the answer probably is no

hey guys, current setup below

(gpu has since been upgraded to a gtx 670)

what is worth keeping and what should i upgrade? budget around 1300~1400
You could build a brand new computer for that budget, especially if you reuse all of your periphirals. I don't really know what you should upgrade in that build besides the storage, buying a new cpu (but it won't get you much better performance + you'll need a new motherboard most likely), or getting a better GPU than a 670 if you so desire.

Why do you want to upgrade? If you tell us the things you want to do or want to do better, we can make a more informed suggestion pertaining to your specific needs

Of course I meant price to performance, that's what the word "value" means
i was talking about this
He's right. If you're looking for more power than a 770, the first thing you should consider is a 7970.

well to back up a bit, is there anything there that would be bottlenecking the PC? i'm not really getting the performance i thought i would be

i'm basically willing to just chuck money at whatever you guys think should be upgraded

i was talking about this
goddamn it I thought I was talking about the 760 still

well to back up a bit, is there anything there that would be bottlenecking the PC? i'm not really getting the performance i thought i would be

i'm basically willing to just chuck money at whatever you guys think should be upgraded
Can you give any examples? Nothing looks like it would bottleneck. I would say your weakest link is the blue caviar HDD, but I have a blue drive with all my games on it and there's really no noticable slowdown in loading
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:43:36 PM by Treynolds416 »