Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1311211 times)

1.5 fps difference, not noticeable.
the benefit of a 770 will greatly outweigh overclocking. the max performance increase from overclocking will be in the single digit range, while from a 770 it would be in the higher double digit range.
For gaming. However, nowhere was it specified that these builds are meant to be for gaming. If they were solely for gaming, your build would be fine. But, because it was specified that they wanted intel and overclocking, I'm pretty sure they want substantive compute/encode power. He didn't specify that it was only for computing though, so that's why the best decision is a well-balanced build that's somewhere in the middle of the two extremes

i agree, if these machines are going to be used regularly for video editing, modeling, or equivalent then it would make more sense to step up the ram, cpu, and cut back on the gpu

i agree, if these machines are going to be used regularly for video editing, modeling, or equivalent then it would make more sense to step up the ram, cpu, and cut back on the gpu
So we're agreed then
Good stuff

Alright so I found out that my PSU has a 3 year warranty, how do I exchange my broken PSU for a working one? I'm bad at exchanges :/
The store is Microcenter btw, its a Corsair CX500m

Welp. My front intake fan is very loud, I know it's not just the fan blades, cause when I turn it around, it's much quieter. Is there anything I could do to quiet it?
pageloss

how about this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2y7B5

for their budget it would be way better to leave out overclocking capability in exchange for a WAY better video card
No K CPU, Slow Ram, Case is meh, Motherboard is not SLI capable, and I think I would rather go with the Caviar Black Hard Drive.

So we're agreed then
Good stuff
They both do video editing with Sony Vegas, and they play games such as ArmA II/III, BF3, and BF4.

They can't go over their budget right now so they just want to do SLI in the future to boost their performance if they feel they need it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:08:31 PM by Cut Glass »

Low and behold, I have ordered the GTX 770.

It will be here Friday. Did I make a good choice by switching to Nvidia? I am upgrading from an HD 5770 to a GTX 770.

great choice. you'll be able to play most games on high settings or above
provided the rest of your system is good

great choice. you'll be able to play most games on high settings or above
provided the rest of your system is good

It will be upgraded in sequence, starting with the PSU Case and a new HDD. I still have DDR2 4GB memory, it is too costly atm to upgrade the mobo/CPU/RAM just to switch to DDR3.

The case is was terribly designed (Saggita 2) with its only case fan pointing at the CPU, not the GPU, and its also a Mid Tower. Restricted room for proper ventilation with a card like the 770, which is why it is getting replaced -first-. My CPU is an AMD Phenom II X4 945, it shouldn't be too much of a bottleneck. Ill eventually upgrade the CPU too (might switch to Intel when I swap the mobo), just not right now.

My R9 270 should be coming in today.  What do you guys think about this card?

My R9 270 should be coming in today.  What do you guys think about this card?
That heatsink is ugly as hell. The card is not bad tho.

How much is a used  EVGA GTX 670 FTW+4GB worth? It's about 4 months old.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:29:12 AM by Cut Glass »

That heatsink is ugly as hell. The card is not bad tho.

How much is a used  EVGA GTX 670 FTW+4GB worth? It's about 4 months old.
My fault, hit quote instead of edit i'm on my iPhone.

I would say around 400, maybe like 450.  I'm guessing it wasn't too heavily used.

I would say around 400, maybe like 450.  I'm guessing it wasn't too heavily used.
what the forget are you smoking. new 670's cost less than 350, on ebay used sell for around 250

Wow no need to be an starfish.  I wasn't looking at the eBay price btw.