Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310163 times)

Just curious, what would you guys recommend as an upgrade in my computer?

Specs:

CPU: i7 4770k 3.5k GHz
Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1600MHz)
HDD: Seagate Hybrid Drive 1TB
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX770 SuperClocked with EVGA ACX Cooler 2GB
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply

(This wont be anytime extremely soon because my computer is fine as is, I'm more just curious for the future.

ssd

My computer starts up just fine due to the hybrid drive. I got it to avoid spending money on an SSD.

@naturemon Probably your gpu. Your cpu would last quite a while, and unless you decide you need more storage space or whatever, your likely next upgrade would be graphics because those evolve so quickly.

I didn't edit anything I just highlighted a certain part.  Plus I did not say "LOL BRO U READ" I was just saying you apparently didn't read the whole post.

Also the chart isn't a line chart.  It should be in the "reasons to buy suchandsuch GPU instead of other" section.
You're being handicapped. Gpuboss and cpuboss are total stuff for figuring out which components are better. They commonly rate things like "release date", passmark scores, amount of cache per core, "newer" manufacturing processes, clock speeds, and etc. All of which are not indicative of how good a component actually is. Stop trying to sound like you know what you're talking about, you are wrong. To figure out what is good or not, read the words of an article, look at raw performance data (and not cut-down relative scores), know the scope of your typical workload, and know about computers. Gpuboss is for people who have absolutely no idea of how graphics cards work

It's not worth it to upgrade anything there so far.

What you should do is get a small SSD, 30-60 GB, and use that for your OS boot. Should be faster than the hybrid.

It's not worth it to upgrade anything there so far.

What you should do is get a small SSD, 30-60 GB, and use that for your OS boot. Should be faster than the hybrid.

I'm adamant on not getting an SSD, I'm not so impatient I need my computer to start up a couple seconds faster at the cost of like $50+

@naturemon Probably your gpu. Your cpu would last quite a while, and unless you decide you need more storage space or whatever, your likely next upgrade would be graphics because those evolve so quickly.

I was thinking this too. I'm not sure if the next step I'd take would be getting a second 770 and a new PSU (the PSU doesn't have the connectors to allow me to power both properly) or getting the Asus Mars 760 or what. (I think I need a new PSU in general because I'm not really liking my current one and it's lack of cables)

I'm adamant on not getting an SSD, I'm not so impatient I need my computer to start up a couple seconds faster at the cost of like $50+

I was thinking this too. I'm not sure if the next step I'd take would be getting a second 770 and a new PSU (the PSU doesn't have the connectors to allow me to power both properly) or getting the Asus Mars 760 or what. (I think I need a new PSU in general because I'm not really liking my current one and it's lack of cables)
It doesn't just increase boot speeds, file transfer would be faster, as well.

It's also just nice to be able to say that you have an SSD. If you're looking to upgrade and you're still well ahead of the game, an SSD would be a great choice, and for the cost of $50 or so.

It doesn't just increase boot speeds, file transfer would be faster, as well.

It's also just nice to be able to say that you have an SSD. If you're looking to upgrade and you're still well ahead of the game, an SSD would be a great choice, and for the cost of $50 or so.

I'm lost as to what the big deal is here. I am near certain I wouldn't see a difference considering the OS would be practically the only thing on this SSD, everything else would be on my HDD, I'm not sure what file transfers you're speaking of though. Any insight here would be nice because I'm truly not understanding the point of an SSD other than lowering boot times unless you're getting one big enough to store other things on.

(keep in mind this isn't blind resistance to the idea, I just genuinely have no idea what the big deal is and I think I may be missing something)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:11:30 AM by naturemon »

I'm lost as to what the big deal is here. I am near certain I wouldn't see a difference considering the OS would be practically the only thing on this SSD, everything else would be on my HDD, I'm not sure what file transfers you're speaking of though. Any insight here would be nice because I'm truly not understanding the point of an SSD other than lowering boot times unless you're getting one big enough to store other things on.

(keep in mind this isn't blind resistance to the idea, I just genuinely have no idea what the big deal is and I think I may be missing something)
I'm just doing an awful job explaining it. It has no moving parts, so it can retrieve files faster than an HDD.
On my SSD I hold my OS, Firefox, and other small applications I use often.

I personally find it a nice addition. You can tell there's a difference between the two, but it is an unneeded addition.

Got a new LG monitor and oh my god I'm impressed by it

Got a new LG monitor and oh my god I'm impressed by it

Life's Good isn't it?

oh. what they are talking about is Intel SRT, smart response technology. you can get up to a 64gb ssd to be a cache drive. what it does is just make your most frequently used files get cached on the ssd, so your os, your favorite games and applications load with the speed of an ssd. personally I would like to load a level of civ 5 in 10 seconds rather than a minute

oh. what they are talking about is Intel SRT, smart response technology. you can get up to a 64gb ssd to be a cache drive. what it does is just make your most frequently used files get cached on the ssd, so your os, your favorite games and applications load with the speed of an ssd. personally I would like to load a level of civ 5 in 10 seconds rather than a minute

Maybe then you shouldn't have praised your oh so precious hard drive that renders SSD's rather useless!

wow loading times are 10 seconds instead of 15, really worth the upgrade!!!
for me, just a 160 dollar WD Black 2tb is perfect. good price to speed to capacity ratio. ssd's are useless unless you have stufftons of money to waste

good thing I did some research afterwards and found out that what I said a month ago is totally handicapped. the ssd caching thing is actually pretty nice