Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1334383 times)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/PhrozenFlame/saved/2hNzyc

How is this build for a budget rig, ill probably replace the stuffty radeon cards for a nvidia 1050 ti once i've saved more money

Why are there no prices listed, other than the GPUs?

Why are there no prices listed, other than the GPUs?
forgot to mention that i haven't bought anything else yet, is there anything i can improve?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:39:41 PM by 16-Bit »

Well it'll be hard for me to figure out where you can improve, you haven't really specified your budget and your pc list doesn't have any prices on it which doesn't really help lol

Samsung 850. Its basically the standard for SSDs currently. But I don't think it will really solve your slow computer issue. What exactly is slow? General usage or games? Is it just when you say, copy and paste files? Install things? These differences can really mean the world when given such a broad statement.
Sounds very cool! I'll definitely start saving for one, thank you. Do you have any recommendations, or one's you've had good experiences with?

I actually messed with the drivers and reverted to an old version and now it works just fine :p! Thanks for the recommendation though!

Well it'll be hard for me to figure out where you can improve, you haven't really specified your budget and your pc list doesn't have any prices on it which doesn't really help lol
I have a budget of $500 but I can stretch past it a little bit and I'm unsure of why you cant see any prices.
http://imgur.com/a/n0Uc4
This is what I see

Have a person on Steam looking for a good PC setup.
They want something that can run games like Battlefield 1, Overwatch, TF2 (and other source engine games), etc. The PC also needs to come with some sort of wireless adapter, a keyboard, a mouse, a monitor, and speakers (please remove the speakers if the monitor has them built in). The max budget for everything is $1000.
Can anyone draw up a good build for this?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:50:49 PM by Mr Queeba »

They want something that can run games like Battlefield 1, Overwatch, TF2 (and other source engine games), etc. The PC also needs to come with some sort of wireless adapter, a keyboard, a mouse, a monitor, and speakers (please remove the speakers if the monitor has them built in). The max budget for everything is $1000.
Do they have any hardware that they can transfer over, any at all? Even something like a keyboard & mouse? Or do they really need everything from scratch.

are you looking for high-class peripherals? do you want a "gaming" mouse with a mechanical keyboard? are you fine with cheap 60hz monitors with questionable color quality? do you want a case that's 999m^3, but open to expansion, or do you just want a giant gamecube-sized computer?

Do they have a copy of windows that they're okay with transfering over to their new computer? Are they okay with using their current harddrive? Do they want an optical drive? Do they have some sort of unjustifiable rage towards nvidia/amd/intel and will only take a certain brand of videocard/processor?

Well, I put together an initial list. It assumes you don't have to buy headphones, an optical drive, a cpu cooler, and can transfer over their copy of windows.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H170-PRO/CSM ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($96.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB RS Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Deepcool DUKASE V2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($167.95 @ Jet)
Keyboard: AmazonBasics KU-0833 +MSU0939 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($24.01 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers  ($21.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $985.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-28 01:22 EST-0500

The ram is at 665 mhz, that may be the culprit because that is insanely slow for ram
Its dual channel. Multiply it by two.

I have a budget of $500 but I can stretch past it a little bit and I'm unsure of why you cant see any prices.
http://imgur.com/a/n0Uc4
This is what I see
You already have the radeons correct?

I'm not sure how hard you really want this to be. Any overclocking in the forseeable future? This build here has a z170 and an i3, but it allows you to upgrade to the i5 6600k for overclockability. I also noticed your lack of storage so I'm assuming you don't really want a lot of space/already have a hard drive? Again, not really sure what you're expecting from this system. I've kept the case despite every bone in my body saying no, in the end of the day it is personal preference after all.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($118.68 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($44.19 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $482.83

Alternatively, here's a build the utilizes your budget better without the z170 chipset.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i3-6300 3.8GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($149.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($44.19 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $494.09

They're basically the same. Just ask yourself what you really want from this. Do you want one to upgrade later or something you'll be happy without touching longer?

booting into sysrescuecd with this laptop and doing lsblk only shows loop0

is the HDD dead