Author Topic: Try and explain what color looks like to a blind from birth person.  (Read 6388 times)

You can explain it scientifically and psychologically, but you can't explain it in terms of human reaction and emotion.
cannot be described by voice in a manner that would provide the visual stimulation effects of actually seeing it

science has once again failed us.

It's like how sound can have different pitches and timbres, except it affects how one can see things.

Thats not what color looks like, that was already made clear. That's just a scientific explanation:
Well yeah, but throughout history, humanity always had a decent fathoming of ideas before the results existed.

Thats not what color looks like, that was already made clear. That's just a scientific explanation:
Whatever science you based that explanation off of is pretty loving wrong.

js

js
I was talking about the one ChaosCarrier used when he quoted Lalam

js

js
It's kinda contradictory to be rude like that and then proceed to say "js" like it was a professional comment of a G-rated nature.
You might as well go kick Badspot's dog on purpose and then give a heartfelt apology 2 seconds later.

"js"

I was talking about the one ChaosCarrier used when he quoted Lalam

js
My apologies

It's kinda contradictory to be rude like that and then proceed to say "js" like it was a professional comment of a G-rated nature.
You might as well go kick Badspot's dog on purpose and then give a heartfelt apology 2 seconds later.

"js"
But I actually like Badspot, so kicking his dog wouldn't be alright with me
in case you don't understand, [/sarcasm]

Similarly, consider that everyone that sees colour sees it differently (outside colour blindness).

Whenever I say this, people misinterpret and think "well then why don't i just hold up my yellow marker and ask you what colour you think it is?", but that's not what I mean. I mean that everyone possibly interprets the colours differently. What looks like green to you may look to someone else what you see as blue, but as you are taught the terms associated with them, they call them the same thing.

Interesting concept, can't be tested, disproven, or proven. Just a strange thing to explore.

edit:
Anyway, as for the question, you can't. Words are versatile, but not that versatile.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:24:53 PM by otto-san »

Similarly, consider that everyone that sees colour sees it differently (outside colour blindness).

Whenever I say this, people misinterpret and think "well then why don't i just hold up my yellow marker and ask you what colour you think it is?", but that's not what I mean. I mean that everyone possibly interprets the colours differently. What looks like green to you may look to someone else what you see as blue, but as you are taught the terms associated with them, they call them the same thing.

Interesting concept, can't be tested, disproven, or proven. Just a strange thing to explore.

edit:
Anyway, as for the question, you can't. Words are versatile, but not that versatile.
I think we can actually tell if people can see more colors than average by the amount of cones in their eyes.

I think we can actually tell if people can see more colors than average by the amount of cones in their eyes.
that isn't what he meant either

that isn't what he meant either
i know he didn't mean that but i just wanted to mention that
some people have more colors.

i know he didn't mean that but i just wanted to mention that
some people have more colors.
Pretty sure that'd be more light sensitivity (eg telling differences in colour) and not literally seeing more colours. That would probably be more a commonplace thing if it were the case.

I remember having a philosophical debate with my science teacher last year. When explain to a person that doesn't perceive light rays when reflected from an object could say it is the most magnificent feeling you have ever perceived, a literal cup of dopamine.

I remember having a philosophical debate with my science teacher last year. When explain to a person that doesn't perceive light rays when reflected from an object could say it is the most magnificent feeling you have ever perceived, a literal cup of dopamine.

Seeing as dopamine isn't ever in a cup, it's not a "literal cup of dopamine". You mean a figurative cup of dopamine.