Is it possible to stop the hacking?

Author Topic: Is it possible to stop the hacking?  (Read 21147 times)

We should be grateful that Blockland is surprisingly hackproof for an indie game.
We should also be grateful that the community is small enough to report all hackers.

Anyway, I tried to make a list of hackers in General Discussion, but Ephi moved it to drama.

Quote from: TOS
Step 1: Games reserves the right to ban you from playing Blockland online at any time for any reason and without notice.

double-post: Actually, there is one good way to patch it, but it would require me publishing a BLAntiHack.dll for people to inject into their servers.
Seeing as none of us are capable of doing so...

Seeing as none of us are capable of doing so...
Are you really suggesting I fight fire with fire? You're saying I should fight illegitimate exe modification by providing an illegitimate exe modification?

Are you really suggesting I fight fire with fire? You're saying I should fight illegitimate exe modification by providing an illegitimate exe modification?
i'm really not sure why you bother anymore.

i'm really not sure why you bother anymore.
I have no idea what you mean. I just think it's an absurd thing to suggest that the way to get rid of a bad thing is to have someone else use that same bad thing in a way that kills the other bad thing. I'm sure Badspot agrees-- he would never support the use of a third party antihack dll modification for Blockland.

I have no idea what you mean. I just think it's an absurd thing to suggest that the way to get rid of a bad thing is to have someone else use that same bad thing in a way that kills the other bad thing. I'm sure Badspot agrees-- he would never support the use of a third party antihack dll modification for Blockland.
Although I'm sure he would agree, I do wonder, if it's the only way to prevent it and no harm will be done by providing it to a small number of trustworthy hosts, then...

Although I'm sure he would agree, I do wonder, if it's the only way to prevent it and no harm will be done by providing it to a small number of trustworthy hosts, then...
No matter how trustworthy they are, it will end up being leaked some way or another.

No matter how trustworthy they are, it will end up being leaked some way or another.
Eeeeeh, good point.
Say Trinick, could the hacks be prevented if Badspot altered the base game somehow?

could the hacks be prevented if Badspot altered the base game somehow?
Most of them, yes.

Since the dlls work by modifying the game code, if I can do it he can do it 100x more easily. Something like an aimbot can never be patched, and detection isn't worth bothering with.

Something like an aimbot can never be patched
Wrong. If badspot changed the whole locations code, the creator of the dll would have to also change the dll to work with it. You can keep remaking it though

Wrong. If badspot changed the whole locations code, the creator of the dll would have to also change the dll to work with it. You can keep remaking it though
The code detects where the memory position is based on its brown townysis of the game code. This is what I mean by none of you know what you're talking about.

I think we just need to inject the executable and run it to scan the locations and player statistics code to brown townyze what the best possible solution may be...

The code detects where the memory position is based on its brown townysis of the game code. This is what I mean by none of you know what you're talking about.
What
People still haven't quite gotten this?

Didn't Computermix actually post this himself complete with the code it looks for?