Author Topic: 2013/08/28 - Blockland has been greenlit!  (Read 104351 times)

Muting feature
Muting feature
Muting feature

Hey guys, none of you have acknowledged this, and I haven't seen this idea floating around the forums at all.
its counter intuitive and bad, that's why no one else thought of it.  Maybe we should extend this idea into text chat too, no communication until you recieve your speech license.  BL admins are abusive enough.

The main issue with voice chat is that we have limited development resources (badspot, some rotondo, some ephi)
Why spend time working on something like voicechat that already exists within steam when it would be better spend adding new stuff like achievements or steamworks

The main issue with voice chat is that we have limited development resources (badspot, some rotondo, some ephi)
Why spend time working on something like voicechat that already exists within steam when it would be better spend adding new stuff like achievements or steamworks
"achievements"
"steamworks"
i hope this is bait.

voicechat through other programs sucks. i don't wanna run a whole bunch of crap just to talk. i guarantee more people would actually talk using in-game voice than they would if you had a teamspeak link in the welcome message. it's not that hard to add in voice-chat, especially with some many resources, i'm pretty sure torque had a voicechat library on their site that you could purchase. its not like this would take a year to implement, and if there're three "developers" like you said, they surely could implement it.

"achievements"
"steamworks"
i hope this is bait.

voicechat through other programs sucks. i don't wanna run a whole bunch of crap just to talk. i guarantee more people would actually talk using in-game voice than they would if you had a teamspeak link in the welcome message. it's not that hard to add in voice-chat, especially with some many resources, i'm pretty sure torque had a voicechat library on their site that you could purchase. its not like this would take a year to implement, and if there're three "developers" like you said, they surely could implement it.
Actually badspot and rot talked about both "baits" on the greenlight stream, said that it would be cool to implement them

As for voicechat, of course ingame would be used more, but how much? Enough for it to be worth it to spend time developing an option ingame?

I still think implementing any form of voice chat support ingame with any kind of trust / opt-in / mute system is way more effort than its worth, and I'm really glad the developers actually have some sense on the issue.

If you're too lazy to use skype or steam, too loving bad.

I still think implementing any form of voice chat support ingame with any kind of trust / opt-in / mute system is way more effort than its worth, and I'm really glad the developers actually have some sense on the issue.

If you're too lazy to use skype or steam, too loving bad.
how are you so emotionally invested in us not having voice chat, settle down lol

it's not a matter of being lazy or not. it's a matter of accessibility. completely different things

Regardless, it won't be happening anytime soon, if ever. I guess it'd be neat, but probably far inferior to using a third party program specifically meant for that purpose.

If I were you, I'd just get Skype or a TeamSpeak server and just use that while you can. That is, if you're actually looking to chat with others while playing Blockland.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:28:26 PM by Kingdaro »

Does Anyone think Blockland on steam will
Work with WorkShop? If so that'd be great!

Does Anyone think Blockland on steam will
Work with WorkShop? If so that'd be great!
I think this has been denied, but don't quote me on that.

I think this has been denied, but don't quote me on that.
No I think Badspot said something on his stream.

No I think Badspot said something on his stream.
oh really?
can you quote him for me?

Directly from the mouth of Badspot and Rotondo during their live-stream (not quoted, I'm just generalizing what they said):

When will it be ready for distribution?
Badspot has checked all the agreements and submitted forms, now he is just making sure the game works and is ready for Steam distribution.  They are also planning on adding cool stuff, i.e. achievements, trading cards, etc.  BUT:  Rotondo was more interested in the 'cool stuff' than Badspot was.  Badspot thought the achievements might be "utter bullstuff".

Steam Workshop?
Badspot wants this to happen.  Although he is not entirely sure it will happen, as he has not looked into it yet.  So if it can happen, it will.

Vehicle Physics?
Rotondo has been screwing around with it, but he says the system is "F***ed" but he continuing to work on it

New Engine?
No, this is never going to happen.  They are not going to redo 6 years of their work.  The closest hope you have is a new version of Blockland.  Blockland 2 :0 lol jk.

I realize some of these aren't about Greenlight, but I threw them in anyway.  Also, I may have misunderstood something they were talking about, so don't take this as absolute certainty.

oh really?
can you quote him for me?
>yellow on white

my eyes are forever damaged

>yellow on white

my eyes are forever damaged

Hip-hip hooray for custom styles!