Author Topic: 2013/08/28 - Blockland has been greenlit!  (Read 104527 times)

Family RPs

Nuff said

Then don't enable it when playing on those servers?

Or don't go those servers at all

you really dont seem to be getting the accessibility side of things.

far less people will actually participate in voice chat if they have to use a third party program. nobody is disputing that third party programs will have a higher quality, because that's not the point. in-game voice chat is more accessible to the average user, meaning the average user will be more likely to join in. i'm sure most of the people making a case for this already do use skype and teamspeak (i do). the fact that we already do but still want an in-game alternative should tell you something
I see how it can be more accessible, I just believe personally that the quality / features loss isn't worth implementing it in-game. It's not the entire point itself, but it's kind of a big factor to be able to hear others in the game clearly.

I see how it can be more accessible, I just believe personally that the quality / features loss isn't worth implementing it in-game. It's not the entire point itself, but it's kind of a big factor to be able to hear others in the game clearly.
..but we don't know what the quality would be like? what are you basing that on?

The fact that TeamSpeak / Skype already has a ton of features, and re-implementing them all in Blockland would be hell. And if you don't implement some of these features, you're missing some nice features. Plus the fact that Blockland simply wasn't made for voice chatting, while the previously named programs were, and would do a hell of a lot better job at it in all cases.

In any case, you're not going to be changing my mind, and I won't be changing yours, so arguing like this is kind of pointless.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:25:00 PM by Kingdaro »

The fact that TeamSpeak / Skype already has a ton of features, and re-implementing them all in Blockland would be hell. And if you don't implement some of these features, you're missing some nice features. Plus the fact that Blockland simply wasn't made for voice chatting, while the previously named programs were, and would do a hell of a lot better job at it in all cases.
they're dedicated voice chat programs, of course they'll do a better job. that doesn't mean that whatever could be implemented would be unusable. have you actually played games with in-game voicechat? the required features aren't some huge list like you're making out lol.

they're dedicated voice chat programs, of course they'll do a better job.
Glad you see my point! :cookieMonster:

people with no mics and people who can't hear cough furling cough
will be at a disadvantage in communication

Family RPs

Nuff said
implying all those children will have a mic
implying all those children will know how to use a mic
implying all those children will know how to activate voice chat
implying you would not be able to mute
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:24:03 PM by Crispy_ »

people with no mics and people who can't hear cough furling cough
will be at a disadvantage in communication
uhh

text chat will still exist, and most people will probably use text chat. people who can't hear ofc are at a disadvantage if a reasonable amount of players in the server are using mics to talk instead of chat, but if it's important and they aren't responding to voice, generally i think it's thought of to use text instead to get attention

uhh

text chat will still exist, and most people will probably use text chat. people who can't hear ofc are at a disadvantage if a reasonable amount of players in the server are using mics to talk instead of chat, but if it's important and they aren't responding to voice, generally i think it's thought of to use text instead to get attention
the disadvantage is that text chat takes a considerable amount of time to send a message as apposed to simply
holding down a key and talking to your mic

The fact that TeamSpeak / Skype already has a ton of features, and re-implementing them all in Blockland would be hell.
you can't configure that for an RP

+ nobody would use it anyway

the disadvantage is that text chat takes a considerable amount of time to send a message as apposed to simply
holding down a key and talking to your mic
yes, but people are already used to it

what you're saying is comparable to "people enjoying the current highest-end graphics hardware are at an extreme disadvantage now that this new hardware has come out that's twice as more good better"

like "yeah, but i mean that's probably still adequate even though it takes a few more milinanners to render a parsec"

yes, but people are already used to it

what you're saying is comparable to "people enjoying the current highest-end graphics hardware are at an extreme disadvantage now that this new hardware has come out that's twice as more good better"

like "yeah, but i mean that's probably still adequate even though it takes a few more milinanners to render a parsec"
good point

but it's still bad for people with hearing issues