Soft shadows

Author Topic: Soft shadows  (Read 87044 times)

Chances are almost certain that if someone isn't smart enough to use them, they can't handle them.

Chances are almost certain that if someone isn't smart enough to use them, they can't handle them.
I know some big idiots with big computers.
Though everyone deserves a chance at lagging playing with them.

Ran soft shaders ultra with a GTX 780 Ti (full specs on my signature)

@ 1920x1080:

On ACM city, with soft shaders off and lowest settings, I get upwards of 600 FPS and I maxed out at 800 FPS.
On ACM city, with "ultra" soft shaders on and highest settings, I get around 20 FPS and I maxed out at 30 FPS.

Keep in mind that I get 30 FPS on 5760x1080 ARMA 3, and benchmarks show 20 FPS for max settings, 5760x1080 Metro Last Light.

I think this really shows how difficult it is to run this.

NASA computers do calculations, and they have no vídeo card.
This is really old, but modern supercomputers use GPU power for processing, à la cryptocurrency mining.

Albeit they're not your run of the mill 7950s, but still.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:21:53 AM by SiliconCactus »

Will this work with Raedon HD 4000 Series?
i have a 6870 and i cannot run without maybe 10 fps at the lowest setting.

AKA I only use it for photos. Playing on this thing is actual impossible.

instead of being unhelpful counterproductive loving twats you can post a nice clean tutorial on how to do this.
I'd say fair enough on the "unhelpful," but telling someone to wait until a hacky trick to crowbar in an upgrade that most people can't even run is replaced by a better implementation of the feature is not "counterproductive."

Current Specs:
i5-3570k @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte Z77 UD3H
8GB 1600mhz, CAS 8
EVGA 780 Ti @ +200mhz GPU clock, +300 Mem clock, +37mV
Corsair AX850i
Corsair Air 540 in black
3x Acer 22" 1080p monitors

Holy cheezus, Silicon
just
how
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:48:55 AM by AtlasBlue »

apparently if you replace the shaders in the steam version they dont get overwritten or something

apparently if you replace the shaders in the steam version they dont get overwritten or something
Because steam doesn't use the launcher?

I don't even know what shadows are anymore..