Poll

Favorite car origins?

Domestic
119 (16.2%)
Import (Asian)
103 (14%)
European
158 (21.5%)
I don't have a car because I play blockland.
354 (48.2%)

Total Members Voted: 730

Author Topic: Car thread  (Read 832085 times)

RWD for being cool

FWD for being cheap and gay (unless its a lancia fuliva)

AWD for being rally car

4WD for when you want offroadyness but also want 2WD for whatever reason

ive been driving my dads 4wd suv recently and ive noticed that whenever i have it in 4wd it kinda feels like its struggling to keep up

Same thing here with my dad's pickup. Although it feels like it's struggling only when it's on asphalt and when the suspension isn't correctly balanced or balanced at all.
A 4WD vehicle when engaged in 4WD is not the same as an AWD vehicle.  4WD in trucks and SUV's is intended for use offroad or in slippery conditions, ie. snow or heavy rain, not every day driving like AWD.

Many AWD vehicles have systems that regulate the amount of power being sent to each wheel to make for the smoothest and most ideal delivery of power to maintain the maximum amount of grip.  4WD vehicles are basically like having a rear axle in the front.  There is a differential just like in a rear axle and there are either CV shafts (for most IFS setups) or a live axle (literally a rear axle with turnable wheel hubs on it).  Power is usually split 50/50 at the transfer case and from there each wheel gets half the amount of power sent to its differential, in straight line scenarios.  That changes when one wheel is off the ground.  If you have open differentials then you'll end up with the wheel touching the ground not moving and the wheel off the ground getting all that axle's power.

And this has been your BLF automobile fact of the day.

Also has anyone seen Petersen's 4Wheel and Offroad magazine's Ultimate Adventure?  I plan on building a rig with my brother and entering.

EDIT: also I'm glad the Veyron is dying.  Its a stuff car.  It's ugly, underpowered for what type of engine it has, and too loving blingy.  Also its ugly.  Looks like someone stepped on a VW beetle.  A quad turbo W16 should be making more power than that, forget.  It isn't even a supercar.  All it is meant to be is a status symbol.  Honestly I can think of 1.2 million better things to do with 1.2 million dollars than buy a Veyron.  Don't get me wrong, its an engineering masterpiece, but I'm still unimpressed with the engine.  Also it's debatable whether or not its even that fastest production car in the world.  It has a stuff power to weight ratio, and MacLaren engineers were able to get a higher power to weight ratio out of  REAR WHEEL DRIVE car and it only had about 700 something instead of around 1100, and they did that over 20 years ago.  Also the F1 wasn't ugly, unlike the Veyron.  I could go on all day on why I think the Veyron is stuff but I'll stop there before I get an aneurysm and have to stop.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:06:16 AM by ABlockOfCheese »

What are everybody's thoughts on underglow?

Honestly it's hard to think of a way where underglow can be tastefully done. It's obnoxious, try-hard, ricey, and hated by most car enthusiasts. I think it looks cool, but I wouldn't be caught dead with it on my car. It's laughable on cars that aren't fast, and confusing on cars that are fast.

What I mean is this
[im g]http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8678/16062042054_7d9cc9803c_m.jpg[/img]
The steering wheel and the pedals are not directly in front of the seat. I sat in a regular Urroco (also a '76) once and boy was it uncomfortable. Those things are also so dang low to the ground. I could reach out and touch the garage floor without leaning over at all
yeah but look how small the opening is. also why that nasty corner near the door wall.

Also has anyone seen Petersen's 4Wheel and Offroad magazine's Ultimate Adventure?  I plan on building a rig with my brother and entering.

you should let me be your pit crew :)

you should let me be your pit crew :)
my brother will be my co driver but it can always tie you to the roof if you want to go.

my brother will be my co driver but it can always tie you to the roof if you want to go.
He can be a reinforcement for the rollbar

Can we take a moment to appreciate the new koenigsegg?

twin turbo v8, biofuel compatible, insanely overpowered engine. standard koenigsegg stuff.

1500 hp, under 20 second 0-250, no transmission

this car makes my fizzy bits fizz

It looks like a Hot Wheels car

It looks like a Hot Wheels car
man... thats actually exactly what it looks like lol

man... thats actually exactly what it looks like lol
That wrap-around windshield and the sunroof scoop totally look like a Hot Wheels car

He can be a reinforcement for the rollbar
deal

anyway why does this make me giggle?

ECH
Honestly it's hard to think of a way where underglow can be tastefully done. It's obnoxious, try-hard, ricey, and hated by most car enthusiasts. I think it looks cool, but I wouldn't be caught dead with it on my car. It's laughable on cars that aren't fast, and confusing on cars that are fast.
You guys would hate the car my brother is leaving for me.

Trust me, I don't like it either. Stock Yukon for life.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:51:51 PM by AtlasBlue »

Well said. I saw a video of it where you can wire it into your dome lights, so they will only come on when the car is unlocked, a door is open, or obviously if the dome switch is on, etc. I probably would have done it like that. But that seems like a lot of work for something that will just be overlooked, especially if you only see it when the car is stopped. I was surprised at how cheap the kit was though, like $120.

Should I do a straight pipe on my Celica?
Sounds like an angelic choir to me, how bout you guys

There is a hole in the exhaust anyway so im gonna have to do something, why not do something awesome?

Video of sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaeBhkiiUO8