Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 447339 times)

So for my game dev class I was planning making a Guild-like game for the end of the semester project. I kinda got a bit overwhelmed and my instructor recommended that I either narrow the scope or figure out something else, you guys got any advice?

narrow the scope

naRROW THE SCOPE

NARROW THE SCOPE

as an additional note, always start with a small scope and only add more to the scope if you still have time after making the fundamental, feature-complete game

So for my game dev class I was planning making a Guild-like game for the end of the semester project. I kinda got a bit overwhelmed and my instructor recommended that I either narrow the scope or figure out something else, you guys got any advice?
Figure out how much you think you are capable of doing, and then halve it. When you finished that half, add as much polish as possible and release it. It will turn out far better than if you try to stretch yourself.

I would also recommend trying to make a very simple, cheap prototype before you attempt the big game. If it's not working for you, go for another type of game that can be made a lot quicker.

Alright, thanks guys. I'll probably mull it over for a little while longer, but I'm thinking of doing something like a vertical scrolling space shooter. Something really simple, and I guess I can add things to it if time provides for it.

Edit: I need to change the way I think about this sort of stuff. It took less than 2 hours for something as simple as a on-rails space invaders-esque game to become a multi-level ship-based action game with upgrades and all that bullstuff. I need to just buckle down this weekend and make some bullstuff and stop hyping stuff up in my own head.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:51:08 PM by Oasis »

Supposed to be like bubblebobble and digdug or somethin

what do you guys use? i really want to try this crap out

I use gamemaker studio

Some logo thing

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:42:38 PM by Camera »

OH, I'M STARTIN' WITH THE MAN IN THE MIRROR
Now what can this possibly be spoiling...

Guys I'm making a sidescrolling action game with my friend (similar to megaman) with possible coop.
I'm making it with game maker so is there anything I should know about going in?

you need to get used to using GML, as DnD can only do so much for you

to learn game maker (and any coding language) you've gotta be a super nerd

for collision detection, there's this video that explains it pretty well

with all your character's sprites, try to keep the collision mask simple (a rectangle) and keep it at a consistent size

Someone sent me a message, so I thought I might as well post my reply here:

You're going to want and need a couple of books and some lectures.

A) A Theory of Fun - Raph Koster: It's about $20, and it's one of the best books I've ever read. Lots of illustrations and colour, includes hundreds of references to scientific papers, facts and research to back up everything inside the book.
B) McJobless Design Lessons: This is not stuff I've made up, this is my own summarised versions of other awesome lessons from some pretty awesome people. I run you through what an actual game is, tools for designing games, and learning some other unique things about good games.
C) Extra Credits: Damn good video channel. Highly recommend you watch at least a few of the videos that interest you the most. The voice can get a bit annoying, but the lessons are great.
D) Attempting Deep Work, Video Games and the Human Condition, How and Why: Some of Jonathan Blow's best presentations. Crucial for anybody getting started in the games industry.
E) Three Problems for Game Storytellers Resolved: It's a response to an older article, but it points out things you should look for when designing your games.
F) Evaluating Game Mechanics for Depth: Great article from one of the designers on Ratchet & Clank 2 and 3 about why his puzzle design was fantastic in #3, but was utterly stuff in #2. Very good for people who want to know what makes a good puzzle vs a bad one.

I also highly recommend playing any Valve game with the Developer's Commentary turned on. Portal and Portal 2 especially. Even though they're not as informative as Valve, the Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and Conker's Bad Fur Day developer commentaries occasionally have really awesome notes about the game design process.

That should tide you over for now.

forget

(not shown in gif: me jumping off the side of the level)

Here's some actual densitron gameplay, I'll add the tileset later but for now I'm trying to get the core game to function.

make their arms sway when they move, and people's legs don't jerk backwards when they jump.