Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 442282 times)

it controls a lot like blockland/tribes/torque games as a whole actually

right click to jet, left click to shoot at a ridiculous and over-the-top pace, escape to pause

it's more like cave story in practice but the idea is still there

how'd you make that slow camera effect?

I'm gonna keep learning about JavaScript canvases so I can do more real stuff that don't lag with more than five objects.

how'd you make that slow camera effect?

// move the camera to where it needs to be
        if instance_exists(obj_Player)
            {
            target_x = (obj_Player.x + mouse_x) / 2;
            target_y = (obj_Player.y + mouse_y) / 2;

if target_x > obj_Player.x+48 {target_x = obj_Player.x+48;}
            if target_x < obj_Player.x-48 {target_x = obj_Player.x-48;}

if target_y > obj_Player.y+12 {target_y = obj_Player.y+12;}
            if target_y < obj_Player.y-12 {target_y = obj_Player.y-12;}

if active = 1
            {
                // adjust X
            if target_x < x
                {
                x -= point_distance(target_x,y,x,y)/12;
                }
            if target_x > x
                {
                x += point_distance(target_x,y,x,y)/12;
                }

// adjust Y
            if target_y < y
                {
                y -= point_distance(x,target_y,x,y)/12;
                }
            if target_y > y
                {
                y += point_distance(x,target_y,x,y)/12;
                }
            }   
        }

mouse_x and mouse_y are just the second point that the camera wants to go to. you can just make it, for instance, a non-changing point infront of the player or something

the first set of 48s and 12s are how far away the camera will let itself go from the player before stopping

the second set of 12s affect how quickly the camera pans from point A to point B: lower numbers make the camera pan faster

you can also split the second set of 12s into different numbers for x and y, if you want cameras to scroll faster horizontally/vertically. it's really pretty robust

Bushido, do you use game maker?

yes i use GM and yes i know all of that

i made a cute :D

also bushido what do i put the camera script into?
do i create an independent controller object for it, do i put it in the player object or what?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:24:30 AM by PurpleMetro »

pruple, I don't think you know the difference between kawaii and kowai

pruple, I don't think you know the difference between kawaii and kowai

shut up stupid robot :(
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:07:25 AM by PurpleMetro »

So, uh, about that thing I was talking about back on page six:

So here I was this morning, thinking about my game, and still wondering if it's a good idea. I've been sorta sticking with it because some people keep pushing me forward, but I've been unable to convince myself that it's really what I want to do. It's not a bad idea, just not what I really want.

So I decided to look around and see if there were any other games that have tried blending RPG stuff with town building stuff, and came across this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg_gamers/comments/1cxw43/are_there_any_rpgs_that_have_you_building_towns/

I've been playing Dark Cloud and Hinterland and wondered if there are any simillar games.
Having never heard of either of those games, I google searched for the first one, Dark Cloud, and clicked on its wikipedia article.

Now before we go there, here's how the town building is/was projected to work in my game: In dungeons, the player can find blueprints, as well as bricks dropped from enemies upon death. When in the overworld, the player can use these blueprints to create units/models like houses or towers, which have special functions, as well as minifigures to inhabit them. Doing so consumes bricks of course. The player is tasked either with re-creating destroyed areas, or building new ones on unclaimed land.

Now let's look at Dark Cloud for a moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Cloud

Another part of Dark Cloud's gameplay involves special items called Atla which are used to rebuild the world. These items, which are present in most dungeon levels, are large spherical objects and can be retrieved only by the main character. When removed from the dungeon, they become pieces of the world (trees, houses, villagers, etc.). These pieces must then be placed through Georama mode, an element similar to city-building games, in which the player can arrange the pieces of the world onto the landscape. After villagers have been placed, the player can speak to them to discover what their wishes are for the rebuilding of the village. As the player approaches the ideals concerning the village restoration and its villagers' preferences, their progress is recorded as a percentage of completion in the Georama menu. When the progress reaches 100%, the village is considered complete.
Oh.

But that's not all my game has. I've also got this really cool system planned, where you can collect elemental power bricks (fire, ice, lightning, light, darkness) and use them in crafting new items to give them specialized attacks!

To upgrade a weapon, the player can attach stat-increasing items to it (attack power, speed, ability to kill different types of monsters, elemental attributes, etc.), but a single weapon can only carry a limited number of attachments.
Crap.

But gameplay isn't everything right? There's also the story of the game to consider, and I'm really quite proud of how mine is shaping up. The game takes place on a planet called Terra, and its moon Luna, both recently colonized by the LEGO space dudes, and Terra is split into two continents, East Terra and West Terra. West Terra is more modernized, based on LEGO town, and the locals are generally more concerned with building up their cities than the ancient structures they're building them on top of. East Terra is based on LEGO Castle, and while its inhabitants are a bit out of the loop on modern ways, they at least have the common sense to avoid the catacombs and crypts left by who knows what. The moon is smaller and more desolate, but is being settled by space explorers regardless. Surely THAT'S original! It's not like you see high fantasy mixed with space exploration in games with a focus on RPG stuff mixed with town building every day-

Dark Cloud is set in a fantasy world called Terra. The world is made of two main continents, referred to as the East and West. The eastern continent has a focus on technology, and the civilization is advanced, whereas the western continent is less so, and its people prefer to "live in harmony with nature."
On the western continent are the settlements that were sealed away by the Fairy King so as to protect them during the attack by the Dark Genie, and where the game primarily takes place. These settlements are Norune, Matataki, Brownboo, Queens, Muska Racka and a settlement on one of Terra's moons, Yellow Drops.

I've never even heard of Dark Cloud until today, and yet for the past year (if not longer!) I've been unwittingly mirroring its every move, even its fictional universe.

HOW THE HELL DOES THAT HAPPEN.

That's it. I'm not in the mood to spend years re-creating a game that already exists and simply adding a LEGO aesthetic, especially when I have other ideas on the back burner that I'm personally much more interested in. If anybody here really, really wants LEGO Dark Cloud, and can come up with justification for its existence, speak now or forever hold your pieces. If not, I'm done and moving on to something I'm actually interested in. [/philfish]

This is the weirdest string of coincidences I've ever run into. Similar gameplay is one thing, but the similarities in the game world are beyond uncanny. I'm starting to wonder if at some point I DID see Dark Cloud somewhere, and it ended up subliminally influencing my project. @_@ So anyway, yeah, I don't like clones of things and I'm a bit sapped of motivation after realizing what I'm working towards already exists, so I'm pretty much done with it and on to something else. Ugh, wish I would have known at least a little sooner.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:47:59 PM by jamesster »

Dark Cloud was probably one of my favorite games.

Dark Cloud was probably one of my favorite games.
Well, at least I guess I had a good idea...? :\ Just incredibly unoriginal. My initial plan for the game was that constructing new buildings would basically just be purchasing them - you'd walk up to where the building would be, and spend some bricks to place it. Then I realized that there was no fun or creativity in that, so I changed it so you had a grid of baseplates, and could choose what building a baseplate held. Then I expanded it more so you could place buildings anywhere so long as it wasn't a dungeon and the ground was flat. I started work on converting the game from UnityScript to C# a few months ago, but had other ideas nagging me and life got hectic with road trips and surgery and stuff so it didn't get far. Then I learned about Dark Cloud today and... lol screw this.

dark cloud actually had a sequel

it was anime as forget

Sorry, throughout this entire post it came up as "Dark Butt" for me and I couldn't stop laughing.
But yeah, Dark Cloud was good, I still have my copy.

i need some 8-bit sound effects for the shooting and crate breaking sounds

i remember a website where you could do it online but i forgot the name :(