Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 447700 times)

I see a lot of talk here about creating games here (in the senses of programming, art, etc), but not as much on designing them. So I've got a question or two to ask to anyone here who feels like answering: What sort of game genres do you prefer, and how much freedom do you prefer in said genres (on a scale of "completely open world sandboxy stuff" to "a completely linear string of challenges"), and why?

All genres can be fun if done right, but specifically I like action/adventure and platformers. Shooters are fun but tend to be generic. RPGs are fun if you have the motivation to get into it (the same goes for MMOs and MOBAs).

The amount of freedom in the game should be enough so that the player feels like they have control of their actions but restricted enough so players don't get lost or bored. Games like The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario 64 capture freedom nicely. Sandbox games can be a ton of fun, but they tend to get old very fast if they don't have certain restrictions. The GTA games are very fun "sandbox" games and can be even more fun with cheats. However, once you start using cheats, the game gets old pretty fast and the normal gameplay just isn't as fun anymore.

I just saw this on Reddit, I think it's helpful for people like me that are just starting and don't know where to begin.

I see a lot of talk here about creating games here (in the senses of programming, art, etc), but not as much on designing them. So I've got a question or two to ask to anyone here who feels like answering: What sort of game genres do you prefer, and how much freedom do you prefer in said genres (on a scale of "completely open world sandboxy stuff" to "a completely linear string of challenges"), and why?
I enjoy autonomy. I like being able to do a wide variety of things. This is why I'm drawn more to games like Blockland. In addition, Blockland has a very high modding potential, allowing for even more variety and new stuff. This is very broad, and though sandbox fits this most well as far as genres go, it applies much more generally than that. I enjoy games like Democracy, Civilization, tycoons, etc. because they also offer a type of autonomy, even if it's more specific than it would be in a sandbox. You're still offered choices, and your choices lead to success, oftentimes requiring a bit of thinking to get that success.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:57:58 PM by otto-san »

I don't really have an answer to jamesster's topic, but it does remind me of something I've noticed.

DYNAMIC ELEMENTS

Generally, games seem to be more fun to screw around in (in turn giving them better sandbox potential) the more "dynamic elements" they include.  A dynamic element is what I call any part of a game that can be changed in a way that meaningfully affects other things.  The most obvious dynamic element that most games use is a simple physics engine.  Even before modern physics engines, games like Super Mario Bros 2. and Super Mario World had objects that could be picked up and thrown around, stacked up, and interacted with in interesting ways, such as mushroom blocks, springboards, and koopa shells; these are excellent dynamic elements because they're so fun to screw around with.

Many games build themselves entirely around one or two dynamic elements.  Minecraft is based primarily around removing and placing blocks in the game world, and also includes at least two other dynamic elements in the forms of minecarts and redstone.  Even mobs can be considered dynamic elements given their capacity to impact the gameworld itself.  Garry's Mod is interesting because it was born out of Half-Life 2's most obvious dynamic element: its physics engine.  Garry initially created it just because he wanted to rope things together.  The Incredible Machine is a classic example of a game filled with dynamic elements, and it needs to be, because the entire game is about constructing Rube Goldberg machines to solve puzzles.

In fact, that's a good summary of exactly what a dynamic element is.  If you can use it as a part in a Rube Goldberg machine (or any machine for that matter), it's probably a dynamic element. 

i dont really know where i sit on the sandbox vs linear gameplay argument. on one hand, i loved skyrim and new vegas because of the exploration aspect, and on the other hand i loved hotline miami and a vast variety of platformers because it is extremely clear what to do and you just have to do it. i also enjoy duke nukem/ metroidvania style 'wide' linearity, in which there are lots of little hidden things everywhere that you can find if you go off the beaten path but its still pretty clear where you should be going

i probably prefer wide linearity, but if you boil it down to it linearity is just a tool anyway; use it when its appropriate, drop it if it's not

bushido you seem to be getting bored with your game

i thought cave story 2 was shelved and never thought of again

bushido you seem to be getting bored with your game

forget you i aint bored of my gunshoots

i wanted to do the quote head thing for a while and now the player's script is all done so here it is

behold quote head

it's 20x better than cave story 1
beyond your departure from the city, you, landshark lariat, bushido, swholli and quote had yet another volley of bullets fired
and it was even better than the original volley of bullets fired
the end
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:30:25 PM by Flamecannon »

Can you direct me to a working download of Brod's platformer basis? His site is down so the official link is dead.
brother

brother

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=452605

taboo it's literally the first link on the first page of the first result of the google search

why are you struggling

his site is down, the download link is broken
read brother

his site is down, the download link is broken
read brother

downloads fine for me