Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 449097 times)

i thought it was already finished..

i remember a long time ago you/somebody made a topic about this game
It was never close to finished.

Here's an extremely placeholder-ish image of a thing I'm doing.

Here's an extremely placeholder-ish image of a thing I'm doing.
you made that game engine?

beam is just a placeholder until I make it something more appealing.

beam is just a placeholder until I make it something more appealing.

it sort of looks like there's this weird gray blob behind all the beams

I might as well post what I've been working on. I've mostly got a load of boring engine stuff, but what it's basically going to be is a multiplayer dungeon crawler - sort of like Rotondo's "Forgettable Dungeon" but more quest based and with less rougelike elements.

Here's what I have so far: the engine opens, loads config files for screen size and stuff, imports every image in the "spritesheet" folder, finds the spritesheet tagged "TILESET" and builds a basic level with it. Then it creates a freeMoveCamera and renders the level with it.

It also has basic crash handling for if one of the required files are missing. Currently I'm trying to get it to download a map from a seperate server program, but I haven't had much luck so far.

What's also a bit of a problem is that I can't post any screenshots from fullscreen because when I printscreen the game from that mode it gives me a white square the size of my entire monitor. I guess that's just an issue with the SFML libary.

But anyway, I can in windowed mode so here it is:

And here's the tileset that uses:

The style I'm going for is sort of hammerwatch with procedural generation. Players and enemies will move in 8 directions, there will be classes, that sort of stuff.

I'm gonna put up a test version at some point but I'm mainly making it for fun - I'm going to send it to some RL friends when it's closer to finished and play a few games with them. Should be interesting.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:15:22 AM by chrisbot6 »

gosh why is it so hard to make something simple like that in love2d

It was pretty hard for me, since I had to write an entire engine to automate everything. The project has like 1300 lines of code and it would've been even harder to make without this.

because lua sucks.

speaking of game engines, I am actually working on my old game engine and old game "Los Diablos" on my Cipirian Game Engine. It has particles, emitters, AIs, spritesheet loading,  level editor, a soon-to-exist projectile system, a "blueprint" and "outfit" system, and a wonderful GUI system.

because lua sucks.

speaking of game engines, I am actually working on my old game engine and old game "Los Diablos" on my Cipirian Game Engine. It has particles, emitters, AIs, spritesheet loading,  level editor, a soon-to-exist projectile system, a "blueprint" and "outfit" system, and a wonderful GUI system.
Game engines are cool. Can you post a screenshot?

Oh, I remember that! I drew some stuff for it. Not sure if you used it or not but never mind.

Can you explain your GUI system? I'm sort of trying to implement one in my own game (right now it just does keyboard checks). Not to be a pest but I heard the best way to learn stuff in game design is often from other game developers.

Oh, I remember that! I drew some stuff for it. Not sure if you used it or not but never mind.

Can you explain your GUI system? I'm sort of trying to implement one in my own game (right now it just does keyboard checks). Not to be a pest but I heard the best way to learn stuff in game design is often from other game developers.
well it's p simple:

Buttons are classes that have 3 images and 1 function, it takes the default image, and every time button.draw() is called, it looks at the mouses position, if it is hovering it'll then check if it is down, if it is down it sets itself to be active, else it sets itself to be hovering, else it's default, after that it checks what the last state, and compares it to the current one, if it went from active to hovering (the person let the mouse go ontop of the image), then it calls it's callback.

Text is just text lol.

Windows work like this: it has a list of objects, and to calculate where to put them it's just windowPos + objectPos.

Text input is like a button but the callback is always set some variable to true, and every draw check what buttons are down and append them to the text rendered inside the buttons. then set it in a dictionary to be true, and next draw if the button is down don't add it, but if it isn't then set the dictionary to be false, this prevents it from going like aaaaaaa if you click A once.

well it's p simple:

Buttons are classes that have 3 images and 1 function, it takes the default image, and every time button.draw() is called, it looks at the mouses position, if it is hovering it'll then check if it is down, if it is down it sets itself to be active, else it sets itself to be hovering, else it's default, after that it checks what the last state, and compares it to the current one, if it went from active to hovering (the person let the mouse go ontop of the image), then it calls it's callback.

Text is just text lol.

Windows work like this: it has a list of objects, and to calculate where to put them it's just windowPos + objectPos.

Text input is like a button but the callback is always set some variable to true, and every draw check what buttons are down and append them to the text rendered inside the buttons. then set it in a dictionary to be true, and next draw if the button is down don't add it, but if it isn't then set the dictionary to be false, this prevents it from going like aaaaaaa if you click A once.
Sweet, thanks. I'm gonna do something like this with mine.

EDIT: I was reading back through pages and I saw people suggesting game ideas. I have some fun ones that I can't really make right now so I'll post one here:

A 3D text adventure. The game would look like a first person shooter, but the player would be able to enter text to make the character interact with the world and move them around. It would be very much story driven and the game would know pretty much every verb that exists; this would make the character capable of literally anything. Time would stop while the player entered text, and this would mean the player would be capable of stopping actions.

E.g:
- talk to Monty: character begins conversing with Monty
- pick up teacup: character picks up nearest teacup
- throw teacup at monty: character throws nearest or held teacup at Monty
- put teacup in pocket: character stores teacup in inventory
- jump out of window: character jumps out of window, causing game over if 1+ floor(s) up
- look at ceiling: character view tilts up to show the ceiling, or if player is outdoors, "I'm outdoors."
- go outside: character pathfinds to the front door of the building and leaves
- throw clock out of window: character picks up nearest clock, throws from nearest window.
- stand by plant: character moves to stand by the nearest plant
- examine painting: character looks at nearest painting + "It's a painting. I'm not into art."
- eat burger: character eats nearest burger
- eat Monty: character attempts to eat Monty, causes game over when knocked out by Monty
- go downstairs: character pathfinds to the next floor down in the building
- forget desk: "..."

The game would be open world, the objective would be to solve a crime or something.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:34:27 PM by chrisbot6 »