Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 442590 times)

it could also be the insanely soft shadows and very precise lighting as well causing the fps to be somewhat low

Also I have a suggestion for the game, would it be possible to build in player-mode, like how BL is set up?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:11:59 AM by Insert Name Here² »

Will the beta test have a multiplayer setup?

it could also be the insanely soft shadows and very precise lighting as well causing the fps to be somewhat low

Also I have a suggestion for the game, would it be possible to build in player-mode, like how BL is set up?
I think it was because I was running at a 1600 x 730 resolution. Also the floor grid textures have a Parallax Specular shader applied, which can be somewhat resource intensive. You'll be able to toggle those options though; it's still not bad to have 800 bricks on screen and have the fps only drop by 1.

Yes, you'll definitely be able to build in player-mode; for now, you can switch between free-camera movement / building, and normal player movement. I also want to eventually make building large-scale projects much easier.

Will the beta test have a multiplayer setup?
The first demo I'll release probably won't have multiplayer. But, I hope to add it later on in a future beta, I just need to figure out how Unity handles multiplayer. I may also made need help with setting up a master server in the near future, but for the mean time you'll be able to do a direct connect.

Ghost you get 20 bucks from me if you do that demo. You're reliable.

Ghost you get 20 bucks from me if you do that demo. You're reliable.
forget it, i'll do 30 bucks.

I'm still experimenting with different ideas to see what would work best, so I'm not completely set on that concept. Right now, I'm testing how building with bricks will work, and am starting to like that mechanic even more:

I may end up combining them to where you can build with bricks, or draw custom geometry.
Honestly your version sounds better cause you can do it real time. I don't hate bricks but being able to create what you need at the moment would be soooo useful.

forget it, i'll do 30 bucks.
forget you im giving him a kitkat

forget you im giving him a kitkat
i'll give him a kitkat mini unwrapped

i'll give him a kitkat mini unwrapped
I would definitely take a KitKat lol.

I'd rather not say just yet; I haven't seen them post about the project, so they probably want to keep it under wraps for now. I may end up helping them though, especially in regards to maps.

As for my game, I want to take it in a different direction - having it work possibly like a CAD program (similar to SketchUp or Blender). You would have to earn the geometry you build with, which would also be used as the game's currency. You could have a job or business to earn geometry (i.e. selling creations you've made), or harvest it from the environment around you.
I'm not super on board with this idea. Any game about creativity should allow you to, well, be creative. I've never liked games that try to limit that - as much as I loved LittleBigPlanet, I hated that you didn't have the full set of tools at the start. "Earning" geometry seems like a contrived way to pad out gameplay in a game that you seem to be making creativity-oriented.

But, hey, you do you.

I'd rather he go the roblox way and "sell" the creations. Or he could make it so you can only sell decals, music, memberships for your server, vip for your server, etc

I'd much rather that than a generic minecraft clone. I trust Ghost as the creator to make a fun game that does what blockland can't. Blockland gets boring for most users after 5 or so hours because the only thing you can do is join the average freebuild or go to a boring jailbreak server, or worse, go to a family rp. In the game Ghost has made, you would be able to join a demo server for a server which showcased the vips in it, maybe the builds or something so you would be more inclined to buy it. Maybe it would have game modes like gmod, maybe ragdoll combat or something like that, where you have to use your custom characters and the stuff the server gives you and stuff you can buy to make a fighter to compete with the best, to try to knock them off while also trying not to be swarmed by the lower ones, would be a tun game. Maybe a game where you have to run to shoot snipers? It would create interesting situations like people meeting up in running groups and raiding buildings while running and people going putside and spinning in circles to try to disorient people?  You can also buy temporary upgrades to run faster or slower or something like that. Things like that would keep new users hooked.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:02:47 AM by Verification »

I'm not super on board with this idea. Any game about creativity should allow you to, well, be creative. I've never liked games that try to limit that - as much as I loved LittleBigPlanet, I hated that you didn't have the full set of tools at the start. "Earning" geometry seems like a contrived way to pad out gameplay in a game that you seem to be making creativity-oriented.

But, hey, you do you.
it can make be interesting in some situations, but a 'creative mode' type situation is probs gonna be pretty necessary

regardless, a game like that isn't going to be able to be like blockland unless they're just optional features to turn on

But, hey, you do you.
it can make be interesting in some situations, but a 'creative mode' type situation is probs gonna be pretty necessary

regardless, a game like that isn't going to be able to be like blockland unless they're just optional features to turn on
If I do end up including that feature, it will be toggleable; I may also end up including a baseplate rules option (in which players would have to build on baseplates) and a scavenge mode option (where you have to take bricks from existing builds), both of which can also be toggled. I'm hoping to include various options so you can set up a server to your liking. You won't be forced to use them though, they are just more options for your server. A creative mode is also a given.

I'd rather he go the roblox way and "sell" the creations. Or he could make it so you can only sell decals, music, memberships for your server, vip for your server, etc

I'd much rather that than a generic minecraft clone. I trust Ghost as the creator to make a fun game that does what blockland can't. Blockland gets boring for most users after 5 or so hours because the only thing you can do is join the average freebuild or go to a boring jailbreak server, or worse, go to a family rp. In the game Ghost has made, you would be able to join a demo server for a server which showcased the vips in it, maybe the builds or something so you would be more inclined to buy it. Maybe it would have game modes like gmod, maybe ragdoll combat or something like that, where you have to use your custom characters and the stuff the server gives you and stuff you can buy to make a fighter to compete with the best, to try to knock them off while also trying not to be swarmed by the lower ones, would be a tun game. Maybe a game where you have to run to shoot snipers? It would create interesting situations like people meeting up in running groups and raiding buildings while running and people going putside and spinning in circles to try to disorient people?  You can also buy temporary upgrades to run faster or slower or something like that. Things like that would keep new users hooked.
I'm open to that idea, but am also slightly skeptical of having users charge for content like that. It all depends though.

I have some really great ideas for the game that I want to incorporate, especially involving maps; map-making can be taken to a whole 'nother level with this engine, especially with remastered versions of maps like GSF Paradise. I'm hoping to have greater incentive for building as well: such as sharing finished builds with the community (via an in-game network) where users can comment, rate and download them to try themselves (credits will be maintained of course); you'll be able to build interactive objects which you can turn into a physical entity (like the soccer ball included in Blockland, except if would be made out of bricks); build-able vehicles; etc.

Made more progress; I have most of the building system figured out. I'm trying to make importing custom bricks as easy as possible - instead of converting a model to the .blb format, setting up a brick grid, setting the brick bounds and collision, etc., so far all you would have to do is model the brick / collision mesh and save the .blend file in the game's bricks folder; the game takes care of the rest. I have brick positioning mostly working, along with super-shifting.

Also, I finally figured out how to color bricks while having a material applied. Right now, vertex colors are random, but you'll be able to color bricks uniformly using any opaque or transparent color you want - you're no longer limited to colorsets consisting of 64 colors:

gradient bricks look neat
new fx effect detected

Awesome!

Just like BL, you should have a "brick fx" row with a bunch of presets, and you could make it edit-able by being able to change the values, add more, remove some and etc.

It'd be cool to have a "color set" like how BL does it, but you'd be able to edit it in game using different color selectors like HSV and RGB, and be able to save the preset, like with BL to share with friends and the community