Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 442248 times)

Alright cool!

Also if you do implement vehicle damage, you should do it in the way the older GTA games did it, where it has a single car model but when a part of the car gets "damaged" by a collision or something, it replaces that specific part of the car (like a door or hood or something) with a dented and damaged version. I believe this would be a very simple and easy-to-run type of car damage, that would also seem "blocky" in a way, instead of soft-body physics or procedually damaged like how GTA 4 and 5 does it
That would be cool. It might be slightly difficult to implement, but certainly possible.

I think you might benefit from making a discord for it, so people can put all the suggestions there and be notified of anything that happens with the game.
I'll look into making a discord. For now, I'll probably post a new topic in the Games section, and post updates there.

so far it looks pretty neat. one thing i notice is that the brick textures seem really similar to the default or something released on these forums. for legal reasons, just keep in mind that anything made in and or released on blockland either as default or an add-on is probably intellectual property of badspot. you might run into legal troubles if you recycle some of those assets so just be careful
Thanks for the advice - everything for the game is being custom made, so I won't be using any Blockland assets.

Ghost are vehicles going to be able to be made out of bricks like in Roblox?

Yes, you'll be able to build and drive vehicles you've made in-game, as well as import vehicles made in external programs like Blender. I would like to eventually add different vehicle classes, like: wheeled vehicles, helicopters, planes, physics objects, boats and a class similar to the magic carpet.

I'm not too familiar with how Roblox handles them, but I'm hoping to give bricks certain properties (similar to Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts) - i.e. you can add thrusters for flying, objects to make the vehicles float (like for a seaplane or seacopter), etc.

Ghost I never enabled notifications for a thread before but I swear I'll follow your project to the day you release it as a full game

Ghost are vehicles going to be able to be made out of bricks like in Roblox?

check out Scrap Mechanic.

Ghost I never enabled notifications for a thread before but I swear I'll follow your project to the day you release it as a full game
I'll admit, I'm quite excited for this project. =) I'll be posting a new topic in the Games section soon so I don't keep hogging the Game Design thread lol.

Just like BL, you should have a "brick fx" row with a bunch of presets, and you could make it edit-able by being able to change the values, add more, remove some and etc.

It'd be cool to have a "color set" like how BL does it, but you'd be able to edit it in game using different color selectors like HSV and RGB, and be able to save the preset, like with BL to share with friends and the community
You'll be able to use any color you want for painting bricks, but having custom presets you can save (for colors you prefer) is a great idea.

Color selection for bricks is now working! I also figured out how to get transparent colors to work:

Ghost when you do add vehicles to the game, you should also make them be able to play a custom sound as the engine. Like in the vehicle file you'd have a .ogg or .wav or whatever file of an engine looped sound, and when driving ingame, the game engine unity itself could change the sound-file's pitch and speed like a gradient depending how fast you're going. Kinda like how Rigs of Rods / BeamNG handles sounds
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:58:21 PM by Insert Name Here² »

Sure, I'll look into that once I get to vehicles; I haven't explored the audio functionality of Unity, but I'm sure it's possible. Maybe you can select different types of engine bricks to plant within the vehicle itself (for buildable vehicles), and the engine brick used would determine it's power and the sound effects used.

Sure, I'll look into that once I get to vehicles; I haven't explored the audio functionality of Unity, but I'm sure it's possible. Maybe you can select different types of engine bricks to plant within the vehicle itself (for buildable vehicles), and the engine brick used would determine it's power and the sound effects used.
Yeah that'd be really cool actually

Also iirc what I described for sound effects for the engine should be the simplest to do, basically just increase / decrease the pitch and playback speed by like 0.5 - 2 for every unit of speed increasing / decreasing

Very cool! Also, I misinterpreted your statement earlier. I thought you meant that earning geometry would be a global thing for server creators, not a mechanic within servers. My bad. Now that I see what you meant, that could be a totally cool mechanic!

One thing I would appreciate is a much more robust event system, or even a full in-game scripting engine. Perhaps something like LittleBigPlanet or WireMod logic for beginners, and Ruby (or Lua or Python) scripts for more advanced users? Scripts could also be applied to far more than just bricks.

Also, will there be mobile objects other than vehicles? For instance, rotating bars for an obstacle course.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 04:53:20 AM by TristanLuigi »

I do wonder what Badspot thinks about Blockland spiritual successors being made.
Especially this one, since it does seem to get some traction, logically, since the one creating it has quite some knowledge of programming and games.

you know ghost i was skeptical at first because of you using unity but this seems very cool
i believe in u

damn son
holy stuff you can see transparent bricks through transparent bricks
it's a bloody miracle

Thanks guys; I'll be working on brick errors and the placement grid / system today, as well as add functionality for modifying planted bricks (such as destroying or repainting them).

Very cool! Also, I misinterpreted your statement earlier. I thought you meant that earning geometry would be a global thing for server creators, not a mechanic within servers. My bad. Now that I see what you meant, that could be a totally cool mechanic!

One thing I would appreciate is a much more robust event system, or even a full in-game scripting engine. Perhaps something like LittleBigPlanet or WireMod logic for beginners, and Ruby (or Lua or Python) scripts for more advanced users? Scripts could also be applied to far more than just bricks.

Also, will there be mobile objects other than vehicles? For instance, rotating bars for an obstacle course.
I definitely want to improve on the event system or add in-game scripting somehow. I was talking with someone a few days ago about possibly implementing a visual editor (like a node-based editor). There could even be logic-based bricks for minor projects, and full-fledged scripting for major projects (you'll still be able to apply events to any brick as well). Maybe you could even apply events to things like vehicles and items, and have access to the in-game scene as well (like triggering weather effects for a certain areas of the server). I'm not sure how to implement Ruby / Lua / Python, but I'm sure it's possible.

I could add other animated objects, sure - like animated bricks or the ability to move bricks via scripts. It's already possible to add things like elevators or vehicles you can walk on.

I do wonder what Badspot thinks about Blockland spiritual successors being made.
Especially this one, since it does seem to get some traction, logically, since the one creating it has quite some knowledge of programming and games.
Even though right now this project is very similar to Blockland, I do hope to make it unique as well and give it its own theme / style. Also, as long as it's not a carbon copy of this game or doesn't use his assets, I don't think he would mind.