Souls Series (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls II) Megathread

Author Topic: Souls Series (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls II) Megathread  (Read 10835 times)

This is your fate.

Games

Demon's Souls
_____________________________ _________________

Demon's Souls (デモンズソウル Demonzu Souru) is an action role-playing video game developed primarily by From Software with assistance from SCE Japan Studio exclusively for the PlayStation 3.

Set in a dark fantasy world, players take control of a hero who has journeyed to the fictional kingdom of Boletaria, which is being ravaged by a cursed fog that brings forth demons who feast on the souls of mortals. The gameplay involves a character-creation system and emphasizes gathering loot through combat with enemies in a non-linear series of varied locations. It has a unique online multiplayer system integrated into the single-player where players can leave useful messages and warnings for other players' single-player game worlds, as well as joining other players in their world to assist and/or kill them.

Dark Souls

Dark Souls (ダークソウル Dāku Souru) is an action role-playing video game set in an open world environment.

The game takes place in the kingdom of Lordran, where the player's character is a human who has been cursed and has chosen to make a pilgrimage. The plot of Dark Souls is primarily told through descriptions of in-game items and NPCs, with players having to piece together the lore through careful exploration of the world. The difficulty level of the game cannot be adjusted and death in the game has strict penalties which reinforces the requirement for careful decision making by the player. The world is filled with weapons, armor, and items to assist the player as they progress. The game has online features where players can summon each other for help in defeating foes, or invade another player's world with the objective of killing the player.

Dark Souls II

Dark Souls II (ダークソウルツー Dāku Souru Tsū) is an upcoming action role-playing open world video game, developed for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 by From Software. From Software will also publish the game in Japan, while Namco Bandai Games will do it in other regions.

As the sequel to Dark Souls, Dark Souls II was announced at Spike Video Game Awards on December 7, 2012. Hidetaka Miyazaki, who served as director on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, will not return as director for Dark Souls II. Instead he will act as a supervisor and the game will be directed by Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura. Miyazaki stated there will be no direct connection between Dark Souls and Dark Souls II. The game will use dedicated multiplayer servers.

Prologue

Demon's Souls' Prologue

The game is set in the kingdom of Boletaria, ruled by the aging King Allant XII(The game's main antagonist). Because of his greed, the king searched for power and prosperity through a dark ritual of channeling the power of souls that brought unprecedented prosperity to Boletaria, until the "Deep Fog" covered the land's outskirts, cutting off the kingdom from the outside world. Neighboring kingdoms sent scouts to investigate but none returned after entering the fog. It was only after Vallarfax of the royal Twin Fangs broke free from the fog that the rest of the world could be told of Boletaria's plight. By channeling souls, King Allant had awakened the Old One, a great demon residing below the Nexus. With the Old One's awakening, a dark fog had swept in that within it unleashed demons who feasted on the souls of mankind, where those left alive without a soul became insane and violent. Without resistance, the fog slowly begins to spread beyond Boletaria.

Many brave warriors attempted to breach the fog and save Boletaria while others were swayed at the prospect of harnessing the demon's souls; either way, many were lost to the fog.

Dark Souls' Prologue

The opening cutscene details the founding of the universe, where Earth was unformed and the Everlasting Dragons held sole dominion over the world. However, The Lords of Fire along with the human race eventually came into existence for reasons long lost to time. From the Dark, which gained meaning in contrast to Light from the newly kindled flame, emerged four powerful entities— Nito, the First of the Dead; the Witch of Izalith and her Daughters of Chaos; Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, and his faithful knights, and the furtive Pygmy, "so easily forgotten". With the advent of the First Flame, the Lords challenged the Dragons for dominion of the World. During the war, Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight used his powerful lightning bolts, peeling their strong stone scales, the Witch of Izalith and her Daughters of Chaos weaved great, powerful firestorms, Nito, the First of the Dead unleashed a miasma of death and disease, and Seath the Scaleless, the albino Dragon, betrayed his own kind.

Dark Souls II's Prologue

The story will revolve around a cursed character trying to find a cure for his or her agony, and will be emotional and involved in the fashion of Demon's Souls's story. The game's director has mentioned that the sequel is indirectly linked to its predecessor, but with no specifications as to how. The director also stated that the concept of time will factor into the story.

Gameplay

Demon's Souls

Players take control of the main character in a third-person view who, at the start of the game, can be customized by choice of gender, appearance, name and starting class. There are 10 starting classes, ranging from knights and barbarians to thieves and mages. Each class has its own starting statistics, starting gear, weapons and type of magic used which all emphasize certain approaches to combat depending on the player's preference.

As players kill demons, they gain souls which act as currency that can be used to buy, repair, and upgrade weapons as well as increase player statistics such as strength, luck, and endurance. Along with souls, players can retrieve items such as weaponry and ore for upgrading. When a player is killed during a level, they are sent to the beginning of the level with all non-boss enemies re-spawned, and the player returns in soul form with lower maximum health and the loss of all unused souls. If the player manages to reach their bloodstain at the point where they were last killed, they regain their lost souls. However, if they are killed before then, the souls are lost permanently. Upon defeating a boss, the player can choose to re-spawn back to that location, marked in the form of an Archstone. When not exploring a level, players reside in the Nexus, a realm of souls that acts as a hub where players can exchange souls, store items and travel between regions. After completing the initial portion of the first region, players can choose to progress through any other of the newly available regions.

Gameplay can change depending on both the World and Character tendency, which can be either white or black. Tendency depends on the actions of the player such as helping or killing NPCs. When white, enemies are easier, yet the soul and items rewards are fewer; when black, enemies are stronger and give greater rewards. Players can manipulate their tendency to suit their current needs. Character tendency affects the player throughout, while World Tendency only affects the region where an action was taken.

Further emphasizing the challenging nature of the game is the increased difficulty upon completion of the story. After finishing the game, the player may choose to continue playing from the beginning, except with a 40% increase in difficulty. Subsequent completions increase the difficulty further by 8%.

Online Multiplayer

When connected to the PlayStation Network, online play is integrated into the single-player experience. Throughout levels, players can briefly see the actions of other players as ghosts in the same area that may show hidden passages or switches. When a player dies, a bloodstain can be left in other players' game world that when activated can show a ghost playing out their final moments, indicating how that person died and potentially helping the player avoid the same fate in advance. Players can leave messages on the floor that can also help others such as forewarning safe or hostile positions, trap locations and tactics against enemies or bosses, among general comments.

Co-operative play allows up to three characters to team up in the host's game world where visiting players appear in soul form that can only be returned to their bodies when a boss is defeated. In competitive play, players can invade a player's adventure as a Black Phantom to engage in combat with the host player. If the Black Phantom kills the host, they can be returned to their body in their own game whereas if killed themselves, the host gains a portion of the Black Phantom's souls.

Dark Souls Gameplay

Gameplay is based on a survival RPG style and uses deaths to teach players how to react in relentlessly hostile environments. Dark Souls takes place in a large and contiguous open world environment. The player is able to travel to and from areas and explore various available paths, although certain prerequisites have to be met to unlock some areas. Bonfires are scattered throughout the world which function as resting hubs and savepoints for the player. Resting at a bonfire causes all normal enemies to respawn, but also fully restores the player's health and healing flasks, along with any equipped spells. The player can progress in one of two unique forms: either "hollow" form or human form. Upon death, the player respawns in "hollow" form, and must use a rare item called "humanity" to restore their human form. If no humanity is available, the player is still able to progress in hollow form, but will be unable to kindle bonfires or summon help from other players; at the same time, players in hollow form cannot be invaded by other players. Death in either form results in the loss of all carried souls and humanity. The player will then spawn at the bonfire last rested at and has one chance to recollect the lost items by reaching the location of their death. If the player dies again before this is accomplished, the items are permanently lost.

"Souls" function as both experience points and currency, and are awarded upon killing any enemy, including other online players, with the amount rewarded being proportional to the toughness of the enemy. Under certain circumstances, humanity is also awarded for defeating enemies. "Humanity" is primarily used as a rare currency, but it also has several subtle effects on gameplay, such as increasing the item discovery rate and buffing some of the player's resistances. Certain weapons also scale in damage considerably with the possession of humanity.

Online Multiplayer

Dark Souls features an online mode which is active whenever the game is connected to the internet. The online mode adds numerous dynamic interactions between the individual players, including limited co-op and player versus player, within certain conditions. Communication between players is deliberately limited. If the player is in "party chat" on the 360, the game will be set to offline mode; on the other hand, private chat between two players at a time is allowed.

The online interactions allow for a large amount of PvP activity. Under certain conditions, one player can invade another player's world with the goal of killing the other player; if they succeed, they are sent home with a certain amount of souls and one point of humanity. Some areas of the game have been designated unofficial PvP hotspots by the community; in these areas, it is common to find hundreds of players either invading or waiting to be invaded in order to engage in one-on-one duels.

Dark Souls II's Gameplay

Dark Souls II features gameplay mechanics similar to its predecessor; co-director Tomohiro Shibuya has stated that he has no intention of changing the controls.

Online Multiplayer

-TBA-

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:46:46 AM by KelBlock »

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:47:38 AM by KelBlock »

dark souls 2 is going to be so much yes

Dark Souls would've been better for PC if Microsoft's gay ass GFWL wasn't there.

My greatest achivement
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:25:05 PM by Dissolve »

I bought darksouls on the Xbox live market, and good lord I've never died so much in a game. I'm good at these kinds of games, but this is on a whole new level of challenge that I absolutely love. There's no difficulty setting, there's no hand holding, no direction of where to go, no compass, no map. Make a wrong turn, you die. Try to move forward to early, you die. and then you just naturally die at each new boss that you're not familiar with.

When i got the drake sword I was so happy

I bought darksouls on the Xbox live market, and good lord I've never died so much in a game. I'm good at these kinds of games, but this is on a whole new level of challenge that I absolutely love. There's no difficulty setting, there's no hand holding, no direction of where to go, no compass, no map. Make a wrong turn, you die. Try to move forward to early, you die. and then you just naturally die at each new boss that you're not familiar with.

loving pleb, real men kill the black knight and take that bitch's sword.

-snip-

niga this game aint 4 casuals Kidding.

Despite its inability to be scaled, the Drake Sword is a decent weapon due to its high damage, which will help you early in the game. It is unfortunate that it begins to become obsolete by the time you reach Anor Londo, albeit I would advocate keeping it as a backup weapon by that point.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:07:51 PM by KelBlock »

loving pleb, real men kill the black knight and take that bitch's sword.
The realest of men go and get the halberd straight from the start.

Thisthisthisthisthis

Real men play with Dexterity Weapons.

Real men play with Dexterity Weapons.
Halberd > Dexterity Weapons