Gnome
KDE
XFCE
LXDE
Unity (why not)
MATE
Other
None/WM

Author Topic: linux_megathread_3.pkg.tar.xz -- Post your desktop!  (Read 41596 times)

Idk what's up with yours then. Mine works fine. Maybe it was a recent update. I'm running Manjaro BTW.
Yeah, and I ran xubuntu. I'm running kubuntu now and is really nice

You were right, it doesn't have that functionality by default.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:53:00 PM by blueblur121 »

Pagelosses don't happen in this topic.

Pagelosses don't happen in this topic.
Pff, fine. I'll edit it.

Um. No. Some people prefer that layout due to familiarity. I was asking what was special about cinnamon in particular due to the fact that the same layout can be achieved with XFCE, KDE, and even LXDE.
The same layout can be achieved in those desktops as well, but what's so special about them? Saying that you can make it look the same in another DE is an odd point to make, when all of the aforementioned barely work in a similar manner.

From my experience, KDE is resource intensive to run, LXDE is too minimal to the point where I feel like I'm running a potato, and XFCE has some missing functionality and leaves you to make some unpleasant sacrifices, most notably in the window tiling.

I like cinnamon for its functionality, responsiveness, and it's extensive customization options.

I haven't had any problems with window tiling. Works fine for me. Might just be a package Manjaro has though.

What I meant, was that cinnamon looked to plain and normal, so there had to be something else different about it.

Here's what I'm now running on my laptop.

Transparent taskbars look really cool. (That's not the whisker menu BTW. I prefer the old one for some reason.)

And also, I have two hidden panels. The one on the left has a bunch of applications that I use fequently and three directory menus so that I can open any folder in my home, root, or dropbox directories. The other one is a workspace-switcher across the bottom.

New discussion: Post your desktops.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:07:33 PM by blueblur121 »

i need to see if CIA is in eOS's PPAs for 14.04

What's that tab in the top-right do.

I'm always interested in the functionality of the layout rather than how pretty it looks.
KDE does look really cool though.

That's the dreaded cashew that I have never seen anyone use. KDE devs don't seem to want to add an option to hide it.
It's essentially the same as right-clicking on the desktop.

Haven't bothered getting around to removing it, there's some widget that gets rid of it.

Any of you guys ever go on /r/unixresearch?
I post there

You need to add some panels there, blackparot. At least a workspace switcher or something.

Believe it or not, one panel is sufficient for some people, haha.

And I don't really use workspaces. I used to, but I figured the effort spent organizing the windows is more trouble than its worth. I just use a "show desktop" button to hide everything, then open what I want.

I use workspaces on my laptop.
1280x720 is hell