not so illegal stuff in my school...

Author Topic: not so illegal stuff in my school...  (Read 4043 times)

Everyone uses the computers for work(for the most part), but really, Wikipedia? That's just stupid. And being spied on may not bee seen as "Fine" to one, so it forces some to raise an eyebrow.

yeah blocking Wikipedia was really stupid though

Everyone uses the computers for work(for the most part), but really, Wikipedia? That's just stupid. And being spied on may not bee seen as "Fine" to one, so it forces some to raise an eyebrow.
wikipedia is so good.

too good.

Hey op, heads up
its a standard feature that they have in order to keep students on task, my school has a system where they can view all outgoing and incoming traffic, and if they have an issue with that client, they usually find whos doing it by their name on their ipad and then call them down, since most people in my school are mentally challenged and know nothing about anything.

They have some mac utility from the website on the mac clients and some other greasy client on the normal windows computers iirc, its normally just for security. Just don't do anything bad and you won't get into trouble. I use a vpn at school on my phone, and they've tried blocking it because of it. Every single school I've been to has had a client like this in order to keep students safe and not get them into trouble, its not like its on your wireless network. If it was on your actual computer and another client was doing it to you then that's a different story.
Usually when I do something shady I just log into a random student's account so they don't know it's me. Our school district's security is so flawed I got the usernames, passwords, names, addresses, birthdays, and phone numbers of every kid in our school district.
on the mac clients they don't block terminal so I just run passwd and then set it to what I want,  its actually funny that the teachers cannot get into my account because of me changing it, I also think they can see what I output in a terminal window, like if I were to connect to my vps or anything they'll see the commands I output, op just don't do anything stupid and you have nothing to worry about.
I care if the government is acting as a big brother, but I could care less if the school was
Yeah, well theres nothing you can do about it, internet service providers track what you do, and the government isn't going to use your information against you unless you've done something illegal
Usually I'd agree, they should be able to do that, but holy forget, by the features of the program, that's so eerily creepy that it'd affect my work knowing how much they can see just by clicking once or twice. What my last opened program was? What I'm using? What's RUNNING on my computer? Not that it might be bad, but, wow. That's just.. creepy.
Oh please, the mac client that they have in my class, you can lock their computer, remotely control it and even run terminal commands. Its not like a teacher is going to need to use those commands in any sort of way, maybe for just remote viewing but remote control comes in handy for my fat forget teacher.
Our school computers are also like that, and they have a proxy that is really annoying.
They can do it, unless its your personal computer.
you mean they redirect dns connections or...

Oh, lol and my school has a completely broken system for blocking sites, we even had an assembly because some kid was looking at research in class
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:15:57 PM by Nal »

tbh its fine as long as they dont do it on your personal devices you bring.

still doesn't make it creepy as forget though.

i think my school just tracks what websites we visit, because shortly after using the forums at school it got blocked and im pretty sure im the only one that uses it there.
it did get unblocked again a week later so idk really lol.

My tech teacher used Vision classroom management software and it wasn't so bad because I was actually doing work
So how is it such a problem for you?

Also, if your laptop has a camera: cover that stuff
If they can monitor you than they can easily abuse the camera. I personally have a piece of black tape and paper over mine.

you mean they redirect dns connections or...
They block sites, make it harder to connect to the internet, have a way to monitor all browsing, etc.

oh and by the way LANschool for macs is incredibly buggy, so i would honestly expect that they don't end up sticking with it. my school attempted to use LANschool (all students in my school are loaned macs) and at random times peoples screens started swapping so you could see someone else's screen but couldn't do jackstuff and the tech office got so pissed that they couldn't fix it that they stopped using it lol

Also, if your laptop has a camera: cover that stuff
If they can monitor you than they can easily abuse the camera. I personally have a piece of black tape and paper over mine.
what the hell are they gonna see? this is in a computer lab. it's not like they'll see you naked. lol.

what the hell are they gonna see? this is in a computer lab. it's not like they'll see you naked. lol.
ITS CREEPY AS forget, DUDE.

oh and by the way LANschool for macs is incredibly buggy, so i would honestly expect that they don't end up sticking with it. my school attempted to use LANschool (all students in my school are loaned macs) and at random times peoples screens started swapping so you could see someone else's screen but couldn't do jackstuff and the tech office got so pissed that they couldn't fix it that they stopped using it lol
We take our laptops home because some people don't have home computers.

And this is why you should bring your own laptop to school.

One time i went to my friends house (He's a foster) and his dad is super protective since he's a foster dad and all.

I was on the laptop when I typed in something like "I like snake" or whatever and to figure out he could track my keystrokes.

Since he's a really nice guy, he said I could still stay on as long as I was in the same room as him.

We take our laptops home because some people don't have home computers.
^

I doubt they would be able to access it and not have the webcam light on though.

The thing is, they made us sign something that said we knew about it and how "hackers can actually do it".

Wikipedia has research on it. No joke.

my school blocks snapchat, but not tumblr