Author Topic: Kalphiter's latest and stupidest rant  (Read 33532 times)

It will never launch. Never
Then you can never know!

I haven't played in forever so... are vehicle physics fixed yet?

I haven't played in forever so... are vehicle physics fixed yet?
nope

if blockland had an API/sdk we could do a whole bunch of neat things, including things we can't normally do with regular torquescript. We could technically just "update" the game ourselves and all badspot would have to do is monitor anything created for potential malicious content.

and yeah, malicious content is pretty much the only thing that's holding us back from doing that, we could probably invent a system where you have to post the source and let a trusted person (such as badspot himself) compile it for the public to use

Technic bricks won't make the game better? Buildable vehicles won't make it better? These things EXTEND what people can do with their creativity, and (in your words) that it what makes the game better.
You're saying it as if it's easy for Badspot alone to do. Just keep in mind that this is a single indie developer with literally no help with anyone anymore since people like Kompressor have gone on to make their own engines like Loom. Keep in mind that Blockland has been built on static bricks that don't intend on moving. Doing something like technic bricks and buildable vehicles will only mess up all the current compatibility. Even then, it's not loving easy to do, and if you expect stuff like that then please allow Badspot to have atleast 2 years without a major update. Who knows? He's probably fixing the vehicle physics, he's probably adding more functionality to the bricks. But I'd like to see you in your shoes developing these kind of things from an already existing, 10 year old, game.

This has to be THE stupidest thing i've read yet! ------- I honestly can't believe you just said that.
I don't think it's at all stupid, I'm realistic about these things, I don't expect so much development as you've just described to be put into a 2 year gap, I don't think it's possible especially editing a huge amount of code for something that breaks as much compatibility as it might do. You're not being realistic, it's an old game engine which has been heavily modified, don't expect features like that to come off trees from a heavily developed game throughout the timescales it's been alive.

This game is good as it is, you can still be creative.

These are just a small fraction of the new creative possibilities that a couple of updates could bring.
Ok? It doesn't matter; you're not being realistic, a single developer just cannot do so much you're asking. You've got to sympathise with Badspot for all the grief he's being given for not updating in years, when probably behind the scenes he's working his ass off to clean up all the physics, use less GPU power umongst other things.

TLDR: This game has it's limitations, it's really good as it is currently, building new features on an already heavily modified game is risky business, probably not for much worth either.

I haven't played this game properly in months because I got bored of it, I've played it for 6 years for christ sake, I'd probably have expected more from this game if TQE didn't limit it so much.

TGE isn't limiting anything...? What do you mean "technic bricks and buildable vehicles will break compatibility"?

you should really learn how the engine works and its internals before you say if anything is compatible and isn't.

I don't think it's at all stupid, I'm realistic about these things, I don't expect so much development as you've just described to be put into a 2 year gap, I don't think it's possible especially editing a huge amount of code for something that breaks as much compatibility as it might do. You're not being realistic, it's an old game engine which has been heavily modified, don't expect features like that to come off trees from a heavily developed game throughout the timescales it's been alive.
Woah there bucko. If you read, you would know I said that your comment about "new features won't improve the game" was stupid. You magically pull this whole new topic about badspot's workload out of your ass and completely drop the old one, and start responding as if this was your initial topic. My post was a deliberate respond to you saying that "the game can only get better by players being creative and new features won't improve it". Did you drop that genius deduction in favor of this new topic and expect me not to notice or something?

You're saying it as if it's easy for Badspot alone to do. Just keep in mind that this is a single indie developer with literally no help with anyone anymore since people like Kompressor have gone on to make their own engines like Loom. Keep in mind that Blockland has been built on static bricks that don't intend on moving. Doing something like technic bricks and buildable vehicles will only mess up all the current compatibility. Even then, it's not loving easy to do, and if you expect stuff like that then please allow Badspot to have atleast 2 years without a major update. Who knows? He's probably fixing the vehicle physics, he's probably adding more functionality to the bricks. But I'd like to see you in your shoes developing these kind of things from an already existing, 10 year old, game.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisuke_Amaya
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVVVVV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust:_An_Elysian_Tail
http://www.smartlydressedgames.com/unturned/#follow
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banished_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touhou_Project
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Yu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miasmata
http://www.coldbeamgames.com/

wow i can't believe it, it's like there are other people out there making games with 1-2 person teams! You're right, it does take a long time to make updates so I should probably give him a year, or two if he's feeling a bit lazy. Oh wait, it's been two years already! You talk about it being difficult to add to a 10 year old framework, but wasn't the whole point of removing terrain to allow things to be added? I thought it was such a chore working around terrain and by removing it they removed the old buggy feature slowing them down.
Ok? It doesn't matter; you're not being realistic, a single developer just cannot do so much you're asking. You've got to sympathise with Badspot for all the grief he's being given for not updating in years, when probably behind the scenes he's working his ass off to clean up all the physics, use less GPU power umongst other things.

TLDR: This game has it's limitations, it's really good as it is currently, building new features on an already heavily modified game is risky business, probably not for much worth either.

I haven't played this game properly in months because I got bored of it, I've played it for 6 years for christ sake, I'd probably have expected more from this game if TQE didn't limit it so much.
I'd love to think that he's working hard on the game trying to fix it. But the truth is, he hasn't posted a development topic and he came out himself and said that the game isn't interesting to work on anymore. TGE is an open source engine, any limits TGE places can be removed through code. It's a framework to base your game on.

But it's not like it matters!:
the game can only be made better by people's creativity. The only thing Badspot can do is add functionality which (i don't think) will make a difference
adding functionality won't make the game better!!!

TGE isn't limiting anything...? What do you mean "technic bricks and buildable vehicles will break compatibility"?

you should really learn how the engine works and its internals before you say if anything is compatible and isn't.
I'm pretty sure the physics engine is heavily limited, which; correct me if I'm wrong, goes along side with TGE. I am assuming mostly but it doesn't mean that it's easy to update an old and outdated game. Every game engine has it's limitations.

Woah there bucko. If you read, you would know I said that your comment about "new features won't improve the game" was stupid. You magically pull this whole new topic about badspot's workload out of your ass and completely drop the old one, and start responding as if this was your initial topic. My post was a deliberate respond to you saying that "the game can only get better by players being creative and new features won't improve it". Did you drop that genius deduction in favor of this new topic and expect me not to notice or something?
Oops yep, you got me this time lol!!!

No, actually I changed the topic around because I thought a point had to be proven, you're basically relying on Badspot to innovate something that'll make you even more creative, I'm sure the creativity flaws can be worked out by changing your idea slightly rather than waiting for Badspot to update it.

-links- and huge paragraph after it
I'm failing to see what these links have to do with anything. Unless they're all Blockland related then they're irrelevant. Those games could have an easier 'framework' or not be as advanced or dirty as Blockland. If you're not happy with the game's development then leave and find another build block sandbox which doesn't go over your 24 month expectance of a major update, the single developer cannot make you all happy.

This has only probably slowed development down more because of the fact people think that Badspot has completely given up, which it hasn't because Badspot did comment saying that 'I'm through a compatibility-breaking update'. Stop being an starfish with your sarcastic speech and attempts to belittle me and I'll probably actually not argue points back towards you and save you some time. It overly frustrates me when someone online tries to belittle the other, I don't think you'd be like that in real life now, would you?

Oh also I never said updates wont make the game better, I said that you don't need to have updates to be creative. You can always jump hurdles that are limited by the game's functions, I've been able to, why can't anyone else?

Aside from the rant, I'm only saying that if you don't like the development in this game then you should either leave or deal with it and wait until Badspot releases whatever.

or you could like

release your own game or something

or you could like

not everyone can make/develop games

not everyone can make/develop games
learn to make a game.

get ue4, cry engine, or unity

???

probably not profit but hey it's experience

but wasn't the whole point of removing terrain to allow things to be added? I thought it was such a chore working around terrain and by removing it they removed the old buggy feature slowing them down
I guess the point of interiors and terrains being removed was so that only shaders + shadows could easily be added, not other improvements. Badspot must have lied about it being easier to add new features, because guess what, he hasn't added any for 1.5 years! The whole point of interiors being removed was probably so that Badspot could slap better graphics on a 13-year-old game engine in order to market it to Steam.

Isn't it such a coincidence that the game entered Steam Greenlight immediately after the S&S update? S&S's only purpose might be to milk Badspot lods of emone out of Steam-registered players, before the bubble of hope bursts. If Badspot cared about the game, he would help scripters more.

or you could like

Which is what Kalphiter is doing.

No, actually I changed the topic around because I thought a point had to be proven, you're basically relying on Badspot to innovate something that'll make you even more creative, I'm sure the creativity flaws can be worked out by changing your idea slightly rather than waiting for Badspot to update it.
wtf is this stuff. i never said i was relying on badspot to make me creative. People don't "rely" on events or shaders to be creative. They USE these things to ENHANCE the creativity they already have. Technic and movable parts are examples of features that would allow people to be more creative than they already are. I honestly can't believe you're trying to argue against this.

I'm failing to see what these links have to do with anything. Unless they're all Blockland related then they're irrelevant. Those games could have an easier 'framework' or not be as advanced or dirty as Blockland. If you're not happy with the game's development then leave and find another build block sandbox which doesn't go over your 24 month expectance of a major update, the single developer cannot make you all happy.
So all of those other developers managed to make a perfect framework the first time? No, if the framework is restricting or poorly laid out, scrap it and make it better. The King Arthur's Gold devs did that like 3 times. That's part of being a game developer and part of many other jobs that aren't just limited to coding. If the infrastructure is weak, you don't just sit around and do nothing. You fix it so you can continue moving forward.

Oh also I never said updates wont make the game better
the game can only be made better by people's creativity.

I want to see Badspot's input on this, unless he's purposely ignoring the topic so he wont spoil anything. I find it hard to believe that Badspot doesn't care about the game, seeing how he still moderates these forums on a daily basis. If he didn't care, he probably would have given a few more people admin abilities and leave.