No Man's Sky Megathread - Op revised by Swat 3

Author Topic: No Man's Sky Megathread - Op revised by Swat 3  (Read 6243 times)

Op REVISED by Swat 3; Give him a big hug and some chocolate milk.

Too be fair releasing on PS4 first is like a big beta test.
PC version will probably be much more fleshed out and nicer after all the quirks are recognized and fixed.

Too be fair releasing on PS4 first is like a big beta test.
PC version will probably be much more fleshed out and nicer after all the quirks are recognized and fixed.
No. It is an timed exclusive, and I would think so that Sony is paying under the table for the production of the game.

It wouldn't be a big beta test because the game wouldn't be in Beta. Sure, they will add more features, but it isn't like a whole "lol pc mastur race hurr durr her u go pc u get all duh guud stuf". Sean WANTS the game to feel console-y.

what does console-y mean
full of foliage and texture popping like in the demo videos?

what does console-y mean
full of foliage and texture popping like in the demo videos?
Sean really wants to capture the feeling of getting the N64 or something and putting a game in that you have hardly any clue.

It is all a child hood thing.

Oh, and to the foliage and texture popping, it is how the system handles it. If the majority of a dinosaur is off-screen, the system will get rid of the whole thing until you look back at it, which is probably why the dinosaur tail disappeared. Also, for the magically-appearing mountain, it was probably just the level-of-detail increasing.

You have to remember this primarily a four-man team (with like, 6 other people helping a bit) working on No Man's Sky. This game is in a late-Alpha state. They are still adding more features and have much more to come. They also still have to work out the bugs, like the popping.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:59:22 PM by Swat 3 »

i don't see why that feeling is restricted to consoles
that's not a bug, that's a feature to compensate for bad hardware

You can be a bounty hunter, a trader, a biologist, a explorer - this is, again, a touchy subject.
they stress that you won't probably ever see players ever, and that if you do there isn't going to be alliances and stuff, so i don't really understand how this is really going to impact anything. a biologist would be cool, you study the life but then what do you do with it? they say you can share it with others, but also stress that others probably won't ever see your stuff anyway. they built this huge generation system and life sized planets, but for what? what is there to do besides just stare at them and repeat?

i just think it would be more interesting if players had more of an influence on eachother. interacting with other people is a whole lot more interesting than boring AI. meeting up with a group of biologist and sharing stories of your findings, finding a settlement and trading with eachother, grouping up to explore a cool looking cave. these are all things that would make the game so much more interesting, and would make the world feel like it's actually growing. instead though, it seems they're pushing the "guys it's a UNIVERSE of size look its huge scale the planets are BIG and RANDOM" which can be cool and all, but just inflating the size of things isn't always that interesting.
This game is in a late-Alpha state.
take this with a grain of salt. never trust the "it's an alpha" excuse.

Then this game isn't for you. It is just that simple.

You hunt AI.
You trade with AI.
You are a biologist just because. You do it because you see different stuff.
You are an explorer, you look at the crazy stuff the universe throws at you.

Think about an extensive look at Minecraft. They said they are going to add a more traditional multiplayer mode later on.

With the excuse, it isn't. It is more of a "this game is finished stop looking at it too hard." I know there isn't that much information out there, but that is the POINT. The developers want to create a hype factor by making people use their imagination until they get the game. They aren't doing the "hi guys here is everything you have to know before you play the game!".

Then this game isn't for you. It is just that simple.

You hunt AI.
You trade with AI.
You are a biologist just because. You do it because you see different stuff.
You are an explorer, you look at the crazy stuff the universe throws at you.

Think about an extensive look at Minecraft. They said they are going to add a more traditional multiplayer mode later on.
well i hate interacting only with boring/repetitive AI, don't like games where you just stare at things, and i think minecraft's survival mode is garbage, so i guess it's not for me. i might take another look at it once some actual gameplay is released.
The developers want to create a hype factor by making people use their imagination until they get the game.
yea that's exactly the thing i don't like. it's nice in theory, but usually it just leads to disappointment almost every time. i'd much rather imagine things based on what i know i can do in the game. (eg: "i know trading and pirating is going to be included so i'm hyped imagining my friends and I going on raids and conquering the world!" vs "i hope trading and pirating is included! i'm getting excited just thinking about all the stuff i might be able to do! this game has so much potential i can't wait to buy it!"

Hopefully there'll be some mechanism to easily meet up with other players because otherwise, yeah, this game will end up just being a novelty.

Hopefully there'll be some mechanism to easily meet up with other players because otherwise, yeah, this game will end up just being a novelty.
They are going to add a more traditional multiplayer.

im glad the peasantbox doesnt get this glorious piece of amazing
why? that doesn't make any sense. you gain absolutely nothing from it not being released on xbox

It looks very interesting, and it's certainly very pretty.
I hope that multiplayer is easier than it sounds, so far as finding people goes. I can't stand when I play a co-op game with someone and then have difficulty finding them.
Just some way, even if it was just like the way Starbound makes you group up and then teleport to each other, would be cool.
Or hub worlds that everyone can get to pretty easily. I don't mind being taken out of the world a little bit if it means it's playable.

I look forward to seeing how it goes, but won't be holding my breath. There's been quite a few randomly-generated games, and space exploration games that I've seen and not been too impressed with.
For the most part this seems to have the money behind it though, so maybe that'll help.

It looks very interesting, and it's certainly very pretty.
I hope that multiplayer is easier than it sounds, so far as finding people goes. I can't stand when I play a co-op game with someone and then have difficulty finding them.
Just some way, even if it was just like the way Starbound makes you group up and then teleport to each other, would be cool.
Or hub worlds that everyone can get to pretty easily. I don't mind being taken out of the world a little bit if it means it's playable.

I look forward to seeing how it goes, but won't be holding my breath. There's been quite a few randomly-generated games, and space exploration games that I've seen and not been too impressed with.
For the most part this seems to have the money behind it though, so maybe that'll help.
This isn't exactly randomly-generated. There are rules that are assigned. They still have to change the rules to get a universe they want.

Oh, and they can't change the rules after launch because it would change everything.

i'll probably get this game, but i only feel it will truly be amazing when multiplayer comes out.