So, what've I missed?

Author Topic: So, what've I missed?  (Read 124016 times)

sorry if I brought up an old argument

when has this ever happened, chrono?
Case 1: Disagreement in-game that could be resolved with a simple argument, agreement to disagree, or discussion.
Result: "I'm gonna drama you!"
Case 2: A previously banned user gets harassed upon making an alt, despite mentality supporting improvement.
Result: Drama topics nitpicking at every mistake.
Case 3: User loses patience and gets banned again. Returns with alt but doesn't let anyone know. Shows improvement.
Result: Someone finds out and makes a drama topic, people rip on past mistakes again.
Case 4: Typically respected user gets into a personal dispute with another user, which should be resolved in private.
Result: Other user makes drama topic, respected user suddenly gets backlash outside of drama. Harassed over steam, etc.

Any good moderator would not delete the whole board they would actually go through it and remove the spam topics. The drama board is for hate, love, arguing and..well..DRAMA. It's not a place for spam it's a place where people go to rant and bicker about stuff. It's actually healthy to have, so people can express how they feel, like in this situation.
If people have problems with another user, it should be dealt with personally. If a user is a potential threat to server stability, then they should be reported. The only thing this board promotes is public bashing.

not everybody likes to resolve their issues in private because mediation is impossible

If people have problems with another user, it should be dealt with personally. If a user is a potential threat to server stability, then they should be reported. The only thing this board promotes is public bashing.
So if I get mad because someone badmin bans me from a server, I'm somehow supposed to contact them and bitch them out? It seems a lot easier to post in the drama section and let people know who this starfish is.

I agree any real threats to the server should be taken care of, but Blockland seems to be running fine for me....

Drama affects more than just the drama board.
So removing it would do...what, again? If you remove the drama board people aren't magically going to stop all drama, they'll instead just cause a ruckus in Off-topic or other subforums. Drama gives people a place to talk about problematic members of the community. I can't count how many times someone has gotten banned because they angrily speak up in a drama thread about them.

Can we be done? Badspot scares me when he makes a point.

Time to 'regurgitate' again.
Drama affects more than just the drama board.
You're right. It keeps all the drama... in Drama! Incredible!

So removing it would do...what, again? If you remove the drama board people aren't magically going to stop all drama, they'll instead just cause a ruckus in Off-topic or other subforums. Drama gives people a place to talk about problematic members of the community. I can't count how many times someone has gotten banned because they angrily speak up in a drama thread about them.
rather, i see an immense number of people that confine drama to the board itself and keep it out of the actual game, which is already where the vast majority of players live. the forum population is an exceptionally insignificant number of people overall, and if they can keep their stufftery to a single area because of it, well wonderful. the forum only makes the entire community seem so terrible due to the vocal minority. you guys seem to think that removing drama will confine them to the forum itself. but people mostly have stuff happen in the game then immediately take it to drama to make it public, removing drama will just incite even more petty fights.

Case 1: Disagreement in-game that could be resolved with a simple argument, agreement to disagree, or discussion.
Result: "I'm gonna drama you!"
Case 2: A previously banned user gets harassed upon making an alt, despite mentality supporting improvement.
Result: Drama topics nitpicking at every mistake.
Case 3: User loses patience and gets banned again. Returns with alt but doesn't let anyone know. Shows improvement.
Result: Someone finds out and makes a drama topic, people rip on past mistakes again.
Case 4: Typically respected user gets into a personal dispute with another user, which should be resolved in private.
Result: Other user makes drama topic, respected user suddenly gets backlash outside of drama. Harassed over steam, etc.
Case 1 is how drama typically works. Interpersonal drama gets directed here where the community can discuss it. Resolutions do happen here, and it is more likely to happen here than in another topic where uninvolved members try to push yhe argument out of the topic.

Case 2 and 3 are again cases of Drama starting elsewhere and getting redirected to Drama. Not an example of Drama  affecting other places.

Case 4, drama is directed to the Drama section again, job done there. Other users follow the case through other means of communication,  outside of the community. This is the fault of the user causing drama, as well as choosing to open outside communication with members of the community (you're not forced to do this and this is a bigger cause of drama than the existence of the Drama section), and their failure to quite easily end contact with a person bothering them. Steam and Skype have block facilities,  Facebook has reporting abilities, and if there are direct contacts or harassment the police exist.

Your cases aren't examples of the Drama topic causing drama to spread elsewhere. Your only possible example is that people follow others through different means.
If the Drama section was gone and posting drama was bannable it wouldn't prevent the drama happening in the first place. And it wouldn't at all stop people being bothered from outside yhe game/forums. That is entirely an individuals fault for choosing to open contact with strangers on the internet.

You mention that issues should be worked out personally. How does this happen with no Drama topic or no drama allowed? Or do they open up contact through Steam or Skype, which is just asking to get bothered through such means as you're opposed to. It's not like when you get an issue involved with banning ingame, which is common, that you can go back to the server.

I can't agree more with Jaxx, who brings up a good and ignored point.

Good idea, we'll just ban disagreements.  Then everyone will agree!
/karts/speedkart.cs is a community contribution to the mod.  You literally picked the one function I didn't write.  Indentation does not match code flow, so there's programmer error here, but it does not break the game so it is not a critical issue.  I'll make a note.

Badspot, what do you say if I make a megatopic with a compilation of ideas, suggestions and bug reports in the General Discussion forum?
I've found tons of things that are either hidden features/things that can be expanded on (SplashData into full-fledged ParticleData pls, .ifl textures not being cache'd, etc.) and some bugs related to server hosting (Failed to auth with the server = instant server shutdown. Can you just make it so a messageBoxOK is shown that your server has gone offline so you don't lose any progress?)

Also, I've been meaning to ask, how hard would it be to implement Awesomium system into Blockland? From what I heard, Awesomium is something that allows users to have an in-game browser, much like Gmod allows you to watch youtube videos and browse websites. I'm not an expert in this, so I wouldn't even know how much work it would take, so can you give us some input on that?

From what I've seen going on around the community it seems like there are lots of people who complain about no updates happening yet they don't even say what exactly do they want to be done most of the time, just "make a magical big ass update with things in it".

Also, I've been meaning to ask, how hard would it be to implement Awesomium system into Blockland? From what I heard, Awesomium is something that allows users to have an in-game browser, much like Gmod allows you to watch youtube videos and browse websites. I'm not an expert in this, so I wouldn't even know how much work it would take, so can you give us some input on that?
This has been suggested before (by Kalphiter, apparently, so that bodes well), and the main problems that were brought up were the expensive license and general risks of allowing users to show any web page they want in a server.

You could transfer your Blockland key to Steam, which while ingame, has an overlay where you can browse the web and watch videos. If that's what you're specifically looking for.

You could transfer your Blockland key to Steam, which while ingame, has an overlay where you can browse the web and watch videos. If that's what you're specifically looking for.
no no, like playing a youtube video on a brick or something. though i feel this is not really needed

no no, like playing a youtube video on a brick or something. though i feel this is not really needed

If THAT'S what you're looking for, Crystal, then I'd have to agree with Crispy, it's honestly more trouble than it's worth.

Yeah, if it takes a stuffton of money to buy a license for Awesomium I guess just let it go.
It's not exactly neccesary, it was just one of these common suggestions I've heard for the game.