Author Topic: How have your parents tried to shield you from the internet?  (Read 3497 times)

my dad wanted me to start using a computer
he set up paint for me every morning so i could play with the spray and fill can tool

my dad wanted me to start using a computer
he set up paint for me every morning so i could play with the spray and fill can tool
i learned to use a computer by sitting in my dad's lap every morning and watching him play MMOs pretty much

My mom tried to hide me from Facebook. I snuck an account and she found out and she almost made me sleep outside. not really

She knows about the forums (she wouldn't if the computer wasn't confined to the living room) and is always saying things like, "You'll never know those people in real life." (lol georges/btboy) and "They're bad influences." and "They use bad language." but that really means nothing. Heck I'm in public school (and a legal adult) and it's worse there than it is here so her argument is invalid.

i learned to use a computer by sitting in my dad's lap every morning and watching him play MMOs pretty much

I learned by whacking the keyboard on Microsoft Word and playing computer games, usually centered around street racing, geography, weather, or biology.

my cousin had a shelf full of games so everytime i visited i would sit with him and play all day
of course, whenever he would let me play i would have to stand up on his legs to reach the controls and i'd just walk off a cliff in the game

Mainly my mom doesn't really care about what I do on the internet, but she (and some of my other family members, idk) have seen and/or discussed what I find on the internet, as the computer I use is in the living room.

I have no idea about the past, however.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:29:31 PM by dargereldren »

My parents don't care about what I do on the internet.
this, i've never looked up anything research or anything

net nanny
https://www.netnanny.com/blog/if-facebook-is-the-new-telephone-net-nanny-social-is-a-great-answering-machine/

when i was 6 my brother bought that for my mom and we used it for like 2 weeks, then we got tired of it because it blocked off anything and neither my mom nor my brother could get it off.

Back when that infamous "my snake is bleeding" thread was on the front page, my mom saw it (I lurked at the time) and told me I wasn't allowed on this site. I got back on 3 months later and my mom had completely forgotten.

my parents had no idea about the internet till it was to late.

my parents had no idea about the internet till it was to late.
This.

The only thing they've tried is making sure that webcams are unplugged when my sister uses the computer (a couple years ago when she was still in Primary School), but they gave up with that since she got an iPad.

In the grand scheme of things, my parents don't care unless its something unlawful or inappropriate. And neither of those are a problem for me so I would have no reason to worry about it.

Regardless though, I still hate it when I can sense them walking slower when they're behind me than not. I don't care what I'm doing I still don't want to be watched.

my parents sorta know I talk to people on the internet
and they disprove

but they haven't really done stuff about it.

my parents sorta know I talk to people on the internet
and they disprove

but they haven't really done stuff about it.