will you buy the new 3ds?

yes
25 (32.5%)
no
28 (36.4%)
maybe
24 (31.2%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: so how do you guys feel about the "new" nintendo 3ds?  (Read 5205 times)

Lol somebody didn't have a childhood did they

You're not one of those people who think Nintendo only caters to babies are you?
Your condescending and snide remarks aside, I loved Nintendo games and whatnot when I was a child, but mostly for handheld gaming. I loved my Game Boy Advance and DS games that I had growing up. Metroid Fusion was tons of fun, and still is for me. But I realized after a while that these little handheld games just didn't offer the fun that PC gaming can (and that I an already play all my old DS and GBA games on my tablet with an emulator anyway). Handheld gaming systems are such for a reason: To pass the time when you're in situations where you can't use an ordinary gaming console or computer. Once I grew older I realized there were better ways for me to pass the time when I was bored, such as watching Netflix on-the-go. That's a thousand times more fun than doing the same old stuff one has always done on a handheld.

The biggest killer to me using Nintendo consoles when I became a teenager was that there is practically no multiplayer internet community for like 95% of all nintendo games. I mean, sure, you can do the handheld-to-handheld wireless linking with friends but that cant even begin to compete with what you can do with PC games and emulators. I don't need my nintendo handhelds any more. They're meant to be time passers, and there comes a point in every young teenager or child's life where their parents trust them enough to let them have a more advanced time-passing tool than a handheld gaming system. After all, nobody in their right mind would give a food-spill-prone, tantrum-throwing, "oops, i dropped it", nose-picking 7-year-old a Galaxy Tablet. They get him a nintendo DS instead. In short, as I became older and my options opened up, I realized that simply emulating my games on my tablet was the far more logical option as compared to spending hundreds of dollars on an exclusive gaming system that I would only be able to use to *gasp* play games on and nothing else of real value.

If nintendo made their next handheld with smartphone capabilities, I would perhaps be interested in buying it. But I am not going to throw my money away to elongate childhood playtimes when I already have all the tools to do such right on my own computer, phone, and tablet. We have reached a point now in our technological advancedness where we can have a mobile device that can perform all the functions of a Nintendo DS and also perform all the functions of an iPhone. Therefore logically, the only reason why handheld gaming systems still have any use is for giving young children a safe platform to entertain themselves on without all the risks that come with giving a child a smartphone (although, if I understand correctly, it is possible for children to have access to internet research with the 3DS's internet browser capabilities; scary thought).

Also no, nintendo does not and has never catered to babies. I've seen my 2-year-old niece try to play wii golf with a wii remote, but she failed miserably in the cutest fashion possible.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:39:02 AM by Planr »

because the 3ds had plenty of life left in it and if people are all like "so i have to go buy an all new system just to play this certain game" they'll be pissed since they already have a 3ds.  Sega did the same thing and it killed their console business.
yeah fair enough i can see that

let's just see where this new iteration goes i ges. hard to damn it this early on

because the 3ds had plenty of life left in it and if people are all like "so i have to go buy an all new system just to play this certain game" they'll be pissed since they already have a 3ds.  Sega did the same thing and it killed their console business.
If Nintendo or electronic stores like Gamestop had a trade-in discount of 75%+, people would have less of a problem.

cn't streetpass with a smartphon...
flam 1 lyoko plan -0

it's really down to opinion, i mean i can't say you're wrong but you can't say you're right, yadda yadda
to me though i think you're missing out on the aesthetic side of owning it, it really boils down to the same kind of arguement of physical vs digital copies of things, i myself would rather have a physical copy of a game. also iunna i think they're more than things to pass time with, i mean yeah they are quintessentially that but i think it's something that i invest time in because the software ans such entertains me and it's something i can play and talk about with friends and such. but uhhh
yeah
can't exactly word thoughts right now
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:38:11 PM by Flamecannon »

super long tl;dr thing
tl;dr

User was banned for this post
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:10:03 PM by Badspot »

If Nintendo or electronic stores like Gamestop had a trade-in discount of 75%+, people would have less of a problem.
Yeah but then they wouldn't make any money off of the consoles unless the trade in people bought lots of games.

the cost of the console is subsidized by the profit generated by game sales.  I'd go as far to say that if one was to consider intake of money based on consoles only and not including the subsidized profits from game sales, then all the console manufacturers would actually be losing money.

I mean how else would sony be able to get an octa-core AMD APU(despite the low clock rate) and 8gb of DDR5 and on top of that develop their own OS and cram it into a 400 dollar system and then make money off it?

If nintendo was to take in everyone's old 3ds's and give them up to 75% original (based on condition of course) they would lose a forgetton of cash which they can't afford to lose right now, unless those who traded in and got the NEW 3ds started buying lots of games.

EDIT
yeah fair enough i can see that

let's just see where this new iteration goes i ges. hard to damn it this early on
now keep in mind they have already done this before starting with the Gameboy color in 99 i think, and then like 3 years later they came out with the gameboy advance, and then like 4 years later the DS.

Compare that with the 9 year life of the original gameboy and the 7 year life of the original DS.  Of course nintendo can afford to take a small hit plus its the mobile market which is a little less risky for nintendo now than the full fledged console market was for sega back then.

There were many alternatives to sega and that's why they died out.  Nintendo however really doesn't have any competition apart from the PS Vita, which sony botched that one as well.  If people get mad at nintendo for this move, what else will they buy? they also won't be getting the awesome first party exclusives that nintendo is known for if they decide to stop buying nintendo products.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:00:03 AM by ABlockOfCheese »

if the new monster hunter requires this i'm going to cry. i can't afford a new console

They should do something where for a limited time when it comes out, you can mail your 3Ds and they'll swap it for a new one of your choice of something
That would be great

So is it a new console? or are they saying its a 3DS with little tweaks while switching keys around which I find the best out of this personally, and you must buy it again to play new games ( I haven't done research on this, just looking on what other people say)

I am also wondering if it will be backward compatible all the way to the DS

Also I feel like they should at least have the gameboy compatibility back, but sadly that won't ever happen
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:28:50 AM by TDcoolguy300 »

hooray the power button isn't in the worst possible spot anymore

This seperates the 3DS userbase so much.
Games will come out that will be based on that 3ds since it differs enough to matter for developers.
I honestly think they should not have done that but instead used that for the very next handheld (along with whatever improvements they plan).

But hey, who am i.

-holy stuff you're taking this seriously snip-

Nintendo's still fun yo.

I like to think of consoles as smaller versions of desktop computers designed for a linear purpose regarding entertainment.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:31:02 PM by ResonKinetic »

I like how the new ones look, but one question: what will this new 3DS have to offer that the old ones didn't have?

I like how the new ones look, but one question: what will this new 3DS have to offer that the old ones didn't have?
At the very least it has 2 new buttons, plus a new mini-joystick.
And a larger screen size.

Your condescending and snide remarks aside
Maybe it wouldn't have warranted that if you didn't sound like a High Horse Hooligan when you posted that  :cookieMonster: