Author Topic: Autoworld - Tumblr! (Page 19)  (Read 18559 times)

Yeah I kept wondering this too. Having realistic damage and dents and stuff really doesn't suit the style of this game. Probably the most damage should be like smoke or something. If another hits another car just have it nudge and bump n stuff.

Also I like the name Autoworld, I couldn't have come up with a better name myself.

This really reminds me of a game from the PS2 called penny racers.
edit:

I have a few questions

- What will the driving physics be like? Is it going to feel more realistic and weighted like a racing sim, or more arcade like?
- Will cars have different drivetrains such as AWD, RWD. and FWD?
- Will drifting be possible?

This really reminds me of a game from the PS2 called penny racers.
Nice guess, while it's not that specific game it actually based off another game from the series: Everywhere Roadtrip also known as Road Trip Adventure in PAL regions and Choro Q HG2 in Japan.

Also I I think having tollbooth to move into new areas is a genius idea.

This doesn't really seem like something that would be released until beta (or even after that as a update/patch), but I think it would be cool to have varying skybox environments (including a night time option), dynamic (or player/admin chosen) weather, or both. It sounds like a lot of work though and should not receive a high priority until the game is fully developed though.

Some ideas:

- Rain will decrease traction (Issue: would probably require an allowance for drifting in other environments).
- The blacktop roads and the sidewalks will slightly darken as they become wet.
- Skyboxes could include sunny, partly cloudy, overcast, dark clouds (for use with rain), clear nights, partly cloudy nights, and overcast nights (rain). (Issue: Night time skyboxes would probably require cars as well as the environment to contain lighting.)

Just dropping my ideas so I don't forget them. Skyboxes don't seem too far from the realm of possibility but dynamic/manual weather and dark maps don't really seem plausible until later on in development.

This doesn't really seem like something that would be released until beta (or even after that as a update/patch), but I think it would be cool to have varying skybox environments (including a night time option), dynamic (or player/admin chosen) weather, or both. It sounds like a lot of work though and should not receive a high priority until the game is fully developed though.

Some ideas:

- Rain will decrease traction (Issue: would probably require an allowance for drifting in other environments).
- The blacktop roads and the sidewalks will slightly darken as they become wet.
- Skyboxes could include sunny, partly cloudy, overcast, dark clouds (for use with rain), clear nights, partly cloudy nights, and overcast nights (rain). (Issue: Night time skyboxes would probably require cars as well as the environment to contain lighting.)

Just dropping my ideas so I don't forget them. Skyboxes don't seem too far from the realm of possibility but dynamic/manual weather and dark maps don't really seem plausible until later on in development.
Actually, a weather system would not be too hard to implement (the same goes for dark maps). We even have a day/night cycle planned. However, weather will come later. For now, we will be focusing on more core features (menu, map switching, camera switching, environments, etc).

Warning spicy opinion: I hate the looks of the cars. The wheels are to big and too close together. But ehh it looks fine.

/spiceyness over.

Probably the most damage should be like smoke or something. If another hits another car just have it nudge and bump n stuff.

Also I like the name Autoworld, I couldn't have come up with a better name myself.
All of this i can agree with to the fullest extend.
Actually, a weather system would not be too hard to implement (the same goes for dark maps). We even have a day/night cycle planned. However, weather will come later. For now, we will be focusing on more core features (menu, map switching, camera switching, environments, etc).
I would advise to first make it more of a game.
And with that i don't mean to offend anyone, but if you really want to show the potential of the game, you gotta have at least the rough outline of how the player interacts with the game.
What kind of progression is there in the game? Does the player work towards beating other racers to get better cars/parts to take on better opponents or does the player try to gather as much parts as possible to create an army to take over the autoworld?
Of course the latter sounds silly, but all i am trying to say is that fooling around in an open world is one thing, but i would suggest putting a rough idea of the goal of the player in the game.
While a menu and map switching, camera switching and enviroments are all important as well, you want to figure out what makes your game fun and/or if you need to change things around (drastically or not) to make it more fun.
After some playtesting you do then, you may find that some (core) features may not be needed after all.
Don't get me wrong, you give good core feature examples, but i think getting the feeling of progression in the game might be a bit more important.
Especially when you showcase the game during development.
If people don't see any feeling of progression in the game (not feature wise but in-game progression of the player), they get bored soon.

Of course, i am not a 100% game developer, but i have seen the idea and it always came back in my study game design.

EDIT:
In other news:
Warning spicy opinion: I hate the looks of the cars. The wheels are to big and too close together. But ehh it looks fine.

/spiceyness over.
I am sure they want to know everyone's opinion about what they have showed so far. :)
The style is close to the style of games like Road Trip adventure, where the cars have a very similar style, quite big wheels for narrow car bodies.
It is often said to be a cute cars style, which might not be as appealing to some people.
Personally, i love the style and it gives them a bit more character for some reason.
It's like big faces on wheels or something like that, haha.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:48:44 AM by lordician »

All of this i can agree with to the fullest extend.I would advise to first make it more of a game.
And with that i don't mean to offend anyone, but if you really want to show the potential of the game, you gotta have at least the rough outline of how the player interacts with the game.
What kind of progression is there in the game? Does the player work towards beating other racers to get better cars/parts to take on better opponents or does the player try to gather as much parts as possible to create an army to take over the autoworld?
Of course the latter sounds silly, but all i am trying to say is that fooling around in an open world is one thing, but i would suggest putting a rough idea of the goal of the player in the game.
While a menu and map switching, camera switching and enviroments are all important as well, you want to figure out what makes your game fun and/or if you need to change things around (drastically or not) to make it more fun.
After some playtesting you do then, you may find that some (core) features may not be needed after all.
Don't get me wrong, you give good core feature examples, but i think getting the feeling of progression in the game might be a bit more important.
Especially when you showcase the game during development.
If people don't see any feeling of progression in the game (not feature wise but in-game progression of the player), they get bored soon.

Of course, i am not a 100% game developer, but i have seen the idea and it always came back in my study game design.
Yes... I agree... I already said I'd be focusing on those parts first.

In other news... Stunt City update!

Rampin' up.

Yes... I agree... I already said I'd be focusing on those parts first.
-pictures-
Ah okay, i am sorry, i must have missed that. :X
Nice to see some verticality, games like road trip adventure had some verticality, but overall felt really flat, which was a shame because the gliding was really satisfying. :)

stunt city: where the highway is literally suspended in air

And the roads have no practical purpose and lead nowhere

And the roads have no practical purpose and lead nowhere
A city made for stunts don't have to lead somewhere lol

Reelism 2015

A city made for stunts don't have to lead somewhere lol
Most practical city ever

Totally plays a part in helping the world progress

Add a car factory for detail in the city